Michoulicious's top 50 NHL drafted prospects (July 2019)

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Sandin had a similar season to Brannstrom (9) at a year younger and a higher P/GP than Zadina (26) as a defenceman and yet is ranked as a HM.

Wonder what the reasoning is?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I see him as really strong prospect, certainly deserving of a top 10 spot. He had an excellent season as a 18-19 y old in the KHL, and he was pretty dominant at the U20. I think his stock rose substantially since he was drafted.

He's big, physically mature and ready to take the next step.

I think he'll be among contenders for the Calder with Kakko/Hugues/etc. if he can get a spot somewhere in the top 6 with the Rangers.

Explain where is Vesalainen ? He had better production than Kravtsov as a rookie vs sophomore for Kravtsov. Theyre 6 months apart in age.

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018
What people call a good list is what tends to look the most like the general consensus, ergo a hype ranking.

It never turns out that way. I appreciate the effort though.
Well its not as if the NHL is releasing something of a consensus ranking a la the MLB on mlb.com does. There is merit in having a consensus ranking for reference, although I could see it having unintended effects like encouraging a lack of diversity in thought.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Well its not as if the NHL is releasing something of a consensus ranking a la the MLB on mlb.com does. There is merit in having a consensus ranking for reference, although I could see it having unintended effects like encouraging a lack of diversity in thought.

I think it only promotes the herd mentality you typically find around here. I'm not saying it's a bad list, but when everyone thinks it's fair enough, it probably means the person making the list doesn't really have an opinion of his own.

I like seeing lists where people are incredibly high or low on certain players and see how it turns out a couple years down the road. I think that means they've actually seen the given player enough to form an opinion of their own.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Ranger fans coming from the woodworks as per usual. Oh, you say Shestyorkin is better. Do you play with them? There is zero chance you know anything more that what you are reading on HF. Clear from this post haha. Can you send me the link/clip/article where their coach said he's better? I would like to see it. Good to know that NHL writers and other professionals think one way but you know the truth. Should leave high school and become a hockey analyst.

https://thehockeywriters.com/the-top-10-goalie-prospects-in-the-nhl/
https://www.tsn.ca/russian-wingers-top-tsn-s-ranking-of-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1241872
Islanders Prospect Report: Sorokin Wins KHL Title, Playoff MVP
You're whining. It's possible to disagree on this without acting like a kid being told he cant have ice cream

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Good post PB, I can't argue with any of it as an Isles fan. You are always consistent with your arguments and I respect that about you.
Definitely cant say I've seen a notable amount of consistency in PBs arguments. I've seen so much inconsistency in fact that I read this as a sarcastic post.

Like demanding fans stop posting highlights of kravtsov (a prospect he really liked)
Why?
Bc they weren't goal scoring highlights so other fans will think hes bad. (Yes, he actually posted this)

Later, when discussing Miller, a prospect he dislikes, he claimed that everyone was just looking at his scoring plays. So according to him, look only at goal scoring for guys he likes so they look really good. Ignore scoring from guys he doesnt like. If the average poster is consistent 85% of the time then I'd give him a 65%

Most of his consistency comes from his ability to consistently find the already clearly agreed upon universal consensus and parrot it

Last edited:

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018
I think it only promotes the herd mentality you typically find around here. I'm not saying it's a bad list, but when everyone thinks it's fair enough, it probably means the person making the list doesn't really have an opinion of his own.

I like seeing lists where people are incredibly high or low on certain players and see how it turns out a couple years down the road. I think that means they've actually seen the given player enough to form an opinion of their own.
Fair enough, I figure that could be an effect. There isn't nearly as much debate on prospects in baseball circles as there is here, at least in my eyes. You're probably right.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Definitely cant say I've seen a notable amount of consistency in PBs arguments. I've seen so much inconsistency in fact that I read this as a sarcastic post.

Like demanding fans stop posting highlights of kravtsov (a prospect he really liked)
Why?
Bc they weren't goal scoring highlights so other fans will think hes bad. (Yes, he actually posted this)

Later, when discussing Miller, a prospect he dislikes, he claimed that everyone was just looking at his scoring plays. So according to him, look only at goal scoring for guys he likes so they look really good. Ignore scoring from guys he doesnt like. If the average poster is consistent 85% of the time then I'd give him a 65%

Most of his consistency comes from his ability to consistently find the already clearly agreed upon universal consensus and parrot it

I am quite familiar with PB and consider him a quality poster. Just because he doesn't engage in circle jerks regarding Ranger prospects doesn't mean he's not.

His opinions have been quite consistent on prospects pre-draft and post-draft, that's what I meant about consistent arguments. I would trust his list over most on here because his isn't filled with homerism.

Reactions: jj cale

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I am quite familiar with PB and consider him a quality poster. Just because he doesn't engage in circle jerks regarding Ranger prospects doesn't mean he's not.

His opinions have been quite consistent on prospects pre-draft and post-draft, that's what I meant about consistent arguments. I would trust his list over most on here because his isn't filled with homerism.

So let me get this straight.

I say absolutely NOTHING about circle jerking any teams prospects. I give a clear example of inconsistency and your response is to ignore that completely and pretend like this is just about if he circle jerks over a particular teams prospects?

Yea. I can see why you get along with PB's posts now

As to your pre and post draft comment. I already understood your stance. it did not require clarification. In response, I repeat
"Most of his consistency comes from his ability to consistently find the already clearly agreed upon universal consensus and parrot it"

Anyway, since this is a thread about a prospect list and not a poster AND since you already built a strawman after one response I'm just going to use one of HF's greatest features to exit this convo.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Would love to hear more about Jason Robertson's low ranking... he's the same age as Frost & Suzuki and put up the best #s of the three in the OHL

Also think Max Comtois deserves to be much higher than ~50.

Robertson isn't the best skater in the world, that might hold him back at the next level.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Explain where is Vesalainen ? He had better production than Kravtsov as a rookie vs sophomore for Kravtsov. Theyre 6 months apart in age.

I'm a lot higher on Kravtsov than Vesalainen for a few reasons.

First, the fact that Vesalainen basically arranged his trade in the KHL a few weeks before bolting to Jokerit because he didn't want to play in the AHL does not look good. Relationship with Winnipeg management looks already strained, which does increase the bust likelihood quite a bit, even if it is not related with on-ice performance. These things matter.

He performed well at the beginning of his stint with Jokerit playing on the PP/2nd line (winning rookie of the month in December with 11 points in 13 games), but then his production fell off a cliff (6 points in 18 games) and he was basically glued to the bench in the end of the season/playoffs, playing in average under 12 mins/game with no PP time. It does not give the impression of a young player that improved over the year, and makes you wonder if there was something else going on.

If he does not make the team out of camp, what is going to happen? Is he going to bolt again?

Kravtsov was a key player on an offense starved team, and had a great performance against his peers at U20. The few clips of the Rangers dev camp I've seen seem to coroborate the fact he looks ready to make the jump in the NHL. Could turn out otherwise, but for me Kravtsov is one of the top prospects in the NHL... can't say the same thing of Vesalainen.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm a lot higher on Kravtsov than Vesalainen for a few reasons.

First, the fact that Vesalainen basically arranged his trade in the KHL a few weeks before bolting to Jokerit because he didn't want to play in the AHL does not look good. Relationship with Winnipeg management looks already strained, which does increase the bust likelihood quite a bit, even if it is not related with on-ice performance. These things matter.

He performed well at the beginning of his stint with Jokerit playing on the PP/2nd line (winning rookie of the month in December with 11 points in 13 games), but then his production fell off a cliff (6 points in 18 games) and he was basically glued to the bench in the end of the season/playoffs, playing in average under 12 mins/game with no PP time. It does not give the impression of a young player that improved over the year, and makes you wonder if there was something else going on.

If he does not make the team out of camp, what is going to happen? Is he going to bolt again?

Kravtsov was a key player on an offense starved team, and had a great performance against his peers at U20. The few clips of the Rangers dev camp I've seen seem to coroborate the fact he looks ready to make the jump in the NHL. Could turn out otherwise, but for me Kravtsov is one of the top prospects in the NHL... can't say the same thing of Vesalainen.
Funny enough, 6 in 18 is only .10 away from Kravtsov season production, so his worst stretch is still only .10 behind Kravtsov yet hes at least 46 spots back.

What about his 8 points in 8 games to start the year in the NHL? Is that too bad? Youre banking off unfounded accusations. He also explicitly said he wanted to make the Jets this year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good list . Batherson is too Low. Comtois is too Low. I think Batherson is the best prospect the Sens have including Brannstrom.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Can you explain how Alexander Texier and Emil Bemstrom don't get even an honorable mention?

Texier will probably score 20+ goals next season for CBJ and Bemstrom led the top Swedish league in goals last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad