OT: MIchigan Sports Thread: UM wins Natty Championship

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Dan Campbell didn’t lie. He knew that the Lions would get their ass kicked over and over and over again. And to his credit, they fought back

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Dan Campbell didn’t lie. He knew that the Lions would get their ass kicked over and over and over again. And to his credit, they fought back

Yep thats the perfect Lions game for this season. Sewell owned Bosa all game, they lose by one score to a superbowl contender and dont hurt their draft pick. Lose by one score every game like that, beat the Packers twice to go 2-15 and pick first overall.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yep thats the perfect Lions game for this season. Sewell owned Bosa all game, they lose by one score to a superbowl contender and dont hurt their draft pick. Lose by one score every game like that, beat the Packers twice to go 2-15 and pick first overall.

Sewell looked like he was finally back where he feels comfortable. Great to see but sad to see knowing they will find a reason to still flip him to RT

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I've definitely taken more positives away from the Lions than the Packers. Woof.

For all you haters, this is a good week.

Reactions: Konnan511

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Lost a Lions parlay by a half point. I took +7.5 and O45.5 and was praying for a final second score.

Loved the effort. No way would the Lions play like this under Patricia. Hock is an animal and helped me slay in fantasy. Having Stafford still would be another dynamic but if we can get more of 4th quarter Goff going forward we will see positive results.

I won $300 betting on Aussie Rules and soccer this weekend. Used the winnings to book a trip to LA on 10/24.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah earlier today I wondered to myself, "Why do Lions fans keep doing this to themselves?" I get a message from my buddy saying, "I won $700 on the Lions game."

...I see now. Do your thing Lions faithful. But, you know, wisely...

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
The second lost season for Okudah; this time almost completely due to injury than to his play on the field. It may not really matter for the Lions' season, but this is tough for him - I wish him a full recovery!

Drafting him at #3 felt like a missed opportunity back then already - but not because of the player, whose talent level was unanimously praised and rated similarly high. But I still wonder if there was really no possibility to trade down, which means that both the Dolphins and the Chargers hoped their future QBs would fall to them (the Giants did not trade down, either). Drafting for a more valuable position at #3 would have been another option.

Gruß,
BSHH

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
And now it sure feels like his time in Detroit is already done.

There was always a strong argument that he was drafted too high. Should have went closer to 10 or even 15. But even if he was drafted where he was supposed to be, 15 or so, he would still have been a massive bust. It's really kind of astonishing

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
And now it sure feels like his time in Detroit is already done.

There was always a strong argument that he was drafted too high. Should have went closer to 10 or even 15. But even if he was drafted where he was supposed to be, 15 or so, he would still have been a massive bust. It's really kind of astonishing
However, after the 2020 actually nobody argued that Okudah were the wrong pick. Some felt that the Lions should have tried to trade down, which obviously was not that easy (otherwise the Giants would have done it), but apparently everybody held Okudah in high regard. I am glad that Quinn and Patricia are gone, but we should be fair to them anyway.

Gruß,
BSHH

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I think Lions fans should be encouraged by yesterday's showing. This is a team that was utterly gutted by Quinntricia. Dan Campbell got the absolute best result from the absolute worst hand to be dealt.

Side note: I don't watch a great deal of Nfl action so I have to ask the faithful; is Tony Romo considered a good broadcaster? I tried to watch part of the Browns/Chiefs game but I could not do it because of his commentary. I haven't heard an incoherent rambling idiot like that since Harry Carey (not sorry, Cubs fans. I always got WGN with my cable packages back when. Will Farrell's paradies of him would've been been better commentary for a game ).

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think Lions fans should be encouraged by yesterday's showing. This is a team that was utterly gutted by Quinntricia. Dan Campbell got the absolute best result from the absolute worst hand to be dealt.

Side note: I don't watch a great deal of Nfl action so I have to ask the faithful; is Tony Romo considered a good broadcaster? I tried to watch part of the Browns/Chiefs game but I could not do it because of his commentary. I haven't heard an incoherent rambling idiot like that since Harry Carey (not sorry, Cubs fans. I always got WGN with my cable packages back when. Will Farrell's paradies of him would've been been better commentary for a game ).

I’d say in total, there’s very little to be encouraged by, but there are a few things that give even a little bit of hope. Sewell looked good. The offensive line and running game looked very good at times. The team didn’t quit. But there’s a lot more to be discouraged by.

I’ve always disliked Romo’s color commentary, but others love it

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Side note: I don't watch a great deal of Nfl action so I have to ask the faithful; is Tony Romo considered a good broadcaster?

He's considered by most far and away the best color guy in football. He did so well and boosted ratings that they are reportedly paying him close to $20 million a year.

I think he's one of the most likable and insightful guys in all of sports. It's strange to me you would think it's ramblings akin to that of a drunk old timer, but hey.

Anyway this was published in The Athletic this morning to give you context you might not find yourself in too much shared company:

1. Jim Nantz is not an objective narrator. Let’s get that out of the way. But during a conference call last week to preview CBS’ NFL coverage, Nantz was definitive when he declared that Tony Romo, his on-air partner, would ultimately go down as the greatest NFL television analyst in history.

Nantz does not have to convince me. I’ve written multiple times in this space that I already consider Romo the best NFL analyst I’ve ever heard. This is, of course, a subjective take, and if you favor John Madden, Cris Collinsworth, Merlin Olsen, Hank Stram or someone else, who am I to argue with your choice? But Romo is the guy I ride with in this category because I’ve never experienced as an NFL viewer a better combination of knowledge, passion and the ability to diagram things for me in an easy-to-digest way.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Feels like every modern broadcasters shelf life of being likeable is short lived. I bet within a few years the opinion will change to Romo being hated and the worst broadcaster around. It's like at a certain point the clock strikes twelve and they turn into the Creed or Nickleback of their industry.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I can't believe as Lions fans we're doing this same old new regime dance yet again. Every time it's the same old song and dance of how they play different for this guy, look at the fight they put up, oh how they didn't give. It's game one of the season of a brand new regime with a roster full of scrappy nobody jones they haven't yet to be beaten down mentally and physically from the season and being a Lion. Let's see what happens when they are getting blown out mid way through the year while banged up and playoffs out of the sight.
It's the same old story
Same old song and dance, my friend
It's the same old story
Same old song and dance, my friend

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
I swear I remember this thing the Lions did for the last 10 years, where they were down early but would turn it on at the end of the game when the other team was in prevent defense, without ever really threatening to win. I think we even gave our quarterback a nickname based on this?

I'm not burying the new regime based on this because what they inherited sucks. But I'm not praising them either. I'll get encouraged when they start winning games, until then, it's wait-and-see. And that might be the approach for a few years

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I swear I remember this thing the Lions did for the last 10 years, where they were down early but would turn it on at the end of the game when the other team was in prevent defense, without ever really threatening to win. I think we even gave our quarterback a nickname based on this?

I'm not burying the new regime based on this because what they inherited sucks. But I'm not praising them either. I'll get encouraged when they start winning games, until then, it's wait-and-see. And that might be the approach for a few years

Without ever threatening to win? I was worried they were gonna win that game Sunday,did you even watch it?

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Without ever threatening to win? I was worried they were gonna win that game Sunday,did you even watch it?
They were a touchdown and a two point conversion away from taking it to overtime. I see the win probability tool on Yahoo had SF at >98% the entire second half (this seems a bit off to me).

Anyways, I was trying to have a short description to describe the similarities of games over the last 10 years with this one. Sure, maybe it lacked a bit of the nuance of this one.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

Or learn to get really good at betting money on them. Probably on them parlays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad