OT: Michigan Sports Talk V: Lions and Tigers and Wolverines and Spartans! Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Isn't Stafford winless on the road against playoff teams? Or did he beat a team last year on the road? I know the statistic is crazy bad, but I'm not sure if it is THAT bad.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Not sure the Lions are capable of rebuilding, they have some terrible contracts and Stafford isn't a leader. This team will be mediocre and continue to make poor decisions drafting, it's what they do - it will never change.

I just want another Calvin Johnson to never win a superbowl

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The Lions lost the best defensive player in the NFL against the run and top five against the pass. Yeah it was hot, but Rivers isn't Aaron Rodgers. The Lions will lose both games against GB.

Matt Stafford is Jay Cutler with a better personality.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The Lions lost the best defensive player in the NFL against the run and top five against the pass. Yeah it was hot, but Rivers isn't Aaron Rodgers. The Lions will lose both games against GB.

And a box for a head.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Granted the Chargers a potential playoff team in the AFC...you just don't like to see a team lose a lead the way they did. Far from worried but this team misses Levy.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Isn't Stafford winless on the road against playoff teams? Or did he beat a team last year on the road? I know the statistic is crazy bad, but I'm not sure if it is THAT bad.

No, it's a terrible, disgusting, and embarrassing stat. The Lions will never win a playoff game with Stafford as QB, I'd bet a decent amount on that.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Granted the Chargers a potential playoff team in the AFC...you just don't like to see a team lose a lead the way they did. Far from worried but this team misses Levy.

Tough for an eastern team to travel to San Diego. Even tougher to make that trip for an opener. Even tougher when you've lost the two best players off your defense. Tougher still when your QB neutralizes his own best weapon because "uh, well, they were covering him, so..."

And, finally, they're the Lions.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
No, it's a terrible, disgusting, and embarrassing stat. The Lions will never win a playoff game with Stafford as QB, I'd bet a decent amount on that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Stafford wasnt on the defense that allowed 30 points in the second half right?

Aug 6, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but Stafford wasnt on the defense that allowed 30 points in the second half right?

But he was on the offense that did jack **** in the second half. Both sides are to blame on this one. I once again come away unimpressed by Joe Lombardi's playcalling. They get waaaay to conservative and I really believe it holds Stafford back.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
abdullah looked real good. kid could do some serious damage pretty soon.

i think ngata can come pretty close to replacing suh against the run but against passing, yeah, not close. though the announcers did mention something that lions use more aggressive system on the dline so maybe that could help a bit. but yeah, he's no suh.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
But he was on the offense that did jack **** in the second half. Both sides are to blame on this one. I once again come away unimpressed by Joe Lombardi's playcalling. They get waaaay to conservative and I really believe it holds Stafford back.

I agree, I just dont really think Stafford could have done much more in that game. The defense couldnt get them on the field in the second half and he wasnt getting much time.

I'm starting to wish Linehan would've stayed around, sure Stafford may have turned the ball over more but thats because it was a very aggressive offensive style. Lombardi's offense just doesnt seem to gain momentum for some reason with all the weapons it has. Look at Dallas with Linehan. Linehan has consistently had top 5 offenses for like the last 5 or 6 years. With Linehan and Austins defense last year the Lions would have rolled

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Stafford didn't look the same after the third time they blocked nobody and got him absolutely shelled. That was the one where he was intercepted when the guy grabbed his arm as he was throwing and he put on the arm sleeve for the rest of the game. My guess is that injury is going to be a problem moving forward and it was completely inexcusable the offensive line did that no block assignment more than once.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Stafford didn't look the same after the third time they blocked nobody and got him absolutely shelled. That was the one where he was intercepted when the guy grabbed his arm as he was throwing and he put on the arm sleeve for the rest of the game. My guess is that injury is going to be a problem moving forward and it was completely inexcusable the offensive line did that no block assignment more than once.

Maybe we can have him injured, lose the rest of our games, and draft the Heisman winning QB :nod:

who else can go 0 and 16 twice!?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

No, he was on offense that threw two picks and punted the rest of the game outside of a ******** drive where the Chargers allowed him to do whatever while they played prevent defense and ran the clock down.

Stafford has been in the league for 7 years. This is a QB league, he's not a QB to lead this team anywhere, his record shows it.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
No, he was on offense that threw two picks and punted the rest of the game outside of a ******** drive where the Chargers allowed him to do whatever while they played prevent defense and ran the clock down.

Stafford has been in the league for 7 years. This is a QB league, he's not a QB to lead this team anywhere, his record shows it.

I agree with you about Stafford. There's no enthusiasm whatsover coming from him. I think most capable QBs could roll pretty well with the offensive weapons the Lions have.

BUT, I think the offensive coordinater shares a large chunk of the blame. Every time they get a nice lead they sit on it and resort to bland play calling. The Dallas game last year and this recent game are classic examples of it. It's like they play 'prevent offense'.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Stafford is not going to be the reason a team wins a playoff game, but he can be the reason they lose one. He's like Trent Dilfer with better tools. You need a defense that can carry him since he won't pick apart any good teams on his own.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Funny while listening to Toronto TSN 1050 (because they actually talk hockey I listen to them a lot at work) the guy they had on were ohing and ahing about Prince Fielder and what he would be in post-season baseball.... Calling him the most feared hitter in the post-season and a guy you just know would deliver.:laugh:

It was hilarious to anybody that actually watched him with the Tigers.... Great expert analysis there.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Funny while listening to Toronto TSN 1050 (because they actually talk hockey I listen to them a lot at work) the guy they had on were ohing and ahing about Prince Fielder and what he would be in post-season baseball.... Calling him the most feared hitter in the post-season and a guy you just know would deliver.:laugh:

It was hilarious to anybody that actually watched him with the Tigers.... Great expert analysis there.

Mr. Flop-tober. He never did jack in Milwaukee when they made the playoffs, either. I swear he would swing at a throw to first when he was with the Brewskis.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mr. Flop-tober. He never did jack in Milwaukee when they made the playoffs, either. I swear he would swing at a throw to first when he was with the Brewskis.

Remember it well, I used to live in Milwaukee. I want to say he had one good series with them, but I could be wrong and he certainly has been a bad post-season player throughout his career.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Remember it well, I used to live in Milwaukee. I want to say he had one good series with them, but I could be wrong and he certainly has been a bad post-season player throughout his career.

All the beer at Wolski's (I was a Milwaukee east-sider, myself) wasn't enough to tolerate watching him. To be fair, the whole team didn't represent well and they were hoping to ride Sabbathia to get through.

I do remember seeing Prince's post season numbers after the Boston ALCS debacle and they are horrific. I'm hoping to see Torii and the Twins make it this year instead of having to watch His Royal Roundness stink up the field.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I find this fascinating:

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-tigers/post/_/id/292/tigers-havent-forgotten-being-booed-by-fans-in-last-years-alds

I mean obviously no player likes to be booed, and had these comments been made say the week or day after this happened, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Seeing comments like these seasons afterwards is pretty shocking to me.

Could you imagine Zetterberg or Yzerman calling out the fans for what happened over a year ago, when they were swept. Especially when they had one of the biggest payrolls in the game, and had never won anything of note. I mean I will say its harder to make baseball postseason than say basketball or hockey, but it is absurd that this Tiger's team never won a world series.

The fact that one of the team's leaders is basically saying that the fans were spoiled and will learn their lesson by the Tigers not making the playoffs is crazy to me. I could never imagine something like that being said by a member of the Wings, and we are truly spoiled as sports fans. 24 years in the playoffs + multiple cups + multiple Presidents trophies and conference finals/ SCF finals, is something to be spoiled by. Wings fans have also most definitely booed them as well over the years, and I remember the odd comment here or there but usually it comes back to the players saying they don't like the boos but recognize that they need to play a lot better.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I find this fascinating:

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-tigers/post/_/id/292/tigers-havent-forgotten-being-booed-by-fans-in-last-years-alds

I mean obviously no player likes to be booed, and had these comments been made say the week or day after this happened, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Seeing comments like these seasons afterwards is pretty shocking to me.

Could you imagine Zetterberg or Yzerman calling out the fans for what happened over a year ago, when they were swept. Especially when they had one of the biggest payrolls in the game, and had never won anything of note. I mean I will say its harder to make baseball postseason than say basketball or hockey, but it is absurd that this Tiger's team never won a world series.

The fact that one of the team's leaders is basically saying that the fans were spoiled and will learn their lesson by the Tigers not making the playoffs is crazy to me. I could never imagine something like that being said by a member of the Wings, and we are truly spoiled as sports fans. 24 years in the playoffs + multiple cups + multiple Presidents trophies and conference finals/ SCF finals, is something to be spoiled by. Wings fans have also most definitely booed them as well over the years, and I remember the odd comment here or there but usually it comes back to the players saying they don't like the boos but recognize that they need to play a lot better.

Lol tigers fans spoiled? Not really, it's pretty much the St Louis of hockey, tired of choking. I mean they should have won at least 1 world series.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
All the beer at Wolski's (I was a Milwaukee east-sider, myself) wasn't enough to tolerate watching him. To be fair, the whole team didn't represent well and they were hoping to ride Sabbathia to get through.

I do remember seeing Prince's post season numbers after the Boston ALCS debacle and they are horrific. I'm hoping to see Torii and the Twins make it this year instead of having to watch His Royal Roundness stink up the field.

I have the closed Wolski's sticker and was a fairly big regular over on Brady and North, which more than a few nights caused the Wolski's visit. Lived down closer to Cathedral square though which I would say were the more regular stomping grounds. Miss the area, love Milwaukee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad