OT: Michigan Sports Talk Part VI: Oh Look, it's Tiger Bullpen Implosion Time Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Michigans Dfence is probably top 15 or even top 10 this year. Jim did a really good job.

You think they are going to get in the top 25? Or one more win?

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Sigh, I'll never see the Rodgers era Packers get the chance to defeat Jim Harbaugh in the NFL ever again. Jim has a perfect record against this era of the Packers.

On another note:

jeets_qptkxc0a_dvpmqvk7.jpg

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2015/09/26/151752814/photo-jim-harbaugh-gives-jeter-michigan-jersey

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Michigans Dfence is probably top 15 or even top 10 this year. Jim did a really good job.

You think they are going to get in the top 25? Or one more win?

They'll be in the top 25. Dominate performance against a top 25 team (Michigan may be replacing BYU's ranking) and their only loss was game 1 at night on the road against a Utah team who is looking like a darn strong team at Oregon right now.

As far as the defense, definitely top 15. Playing top 5 so far, but we'll see if they can sustain it. This is the best secondary they've had in years though and their d-line depth is impressive. They might have 2 first rounders in the secondary right now.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Woah guys, their defense has been pretty amazing. But it's UNLV, Oregon State, BYU, and to some extent Utah. I'm excited too, but I'm still cautiously optimistic.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Woah guys, their defense has been pretty amazing. But it's UNLV, Oregon State, BYU, and to some extent Utah. I'm excited too, but I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Doesn't matter. This is like their 3rd game in a row where they allowed less then 100 yards in a half or a full game (i cant remember) 14 points in the last 3 games.

Meanwhile Notre Dame is probably going into the top 5 and they have played?? Georgia Tech isn't a good team anymore if they ever were, they lost to DUKE, DUKE! :laugh: Also they allowed almost 30 points against UMASS

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Duke is a better football program than some of what the Big Ten trots out there on Saturday.

People need to pump the brakes on Michigan. They're relevant(for the right reasons), playing well and will continue to get better. But they could still finish with a record near .500 this season.

==

I don't get retaining Ausmus either. This year has been a complete lost season due to injuries. But it's not the only reason. Ausmus is still receiving love from the national media, which I don't understand either. Then again, it could be worse. Matt Williams is more clueless than Ausmus.

In any event, they're continuing to do what they should(tank), which gains them a top 10 pick and ensures they won't lose it when they enter the free agent market. Because they are going to sign a guy or two and try again.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Yeah but it's not like those are dead *awful* teams offensively. BYU had decent offensive stats prior to this game and I doubt they'll be held to 100 yard offense again this year.

Michigan is #4 in scoring defense and #2 in total defense. I'm not saying that will hold necessarily but I think it's safe to say this D is very good.

It's not like it's a crazy outlier either, Michigan's D has mostly been pretty solid since Mattison got to Ann Arbor and it's easy to imagine that without Gardner causing about 3 back-breaking turnovers a game that D would automatically take a step forward even discounting the Harbaugh/DJ Durkin factor.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
no offensive line...check

no running game...check

Stafford being Stafford...check

Granted, again, Stafford is running for his life and is getting little help. But I wonder when that locker room will start to turn on him. Unfortunately, there isn't a better alternative on the sidelines(Orlovsky) and there are starting QB's even worse than Stafford(looking at you, Sparty Nick Cousins).

Defense is okay to meh, all things considered, and did what they could. But most of us knew that coming into the season. Unless they offense picked up the slack this year, it could be a long year. It's looking like a long year.

Aug 6, 2012
Lombardi has to be fired at this point, right? It's obvious he and Stafford aren't meshing. That performance, especially that last drive, was an embarrassment to the organization. You can't get rid of Stafford anytime soon and you gotta do something at this point.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Lombardi has to be fired at this point, right? It's obvious he and Stafford aren't meshing. That performance, especially that last drive, was an embarrassment to the organization. You can't get rid of Stafford anytime soon and you gotta do something at this point.

Lions just going to Lion.

Until they get a FO that understands football, I don't think it will ever matter, and the NFL is the most parity driven league.

Can't even riff on Chicago at this rate.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Yeah Lions need an owner who understands football enough to fire incompetent front office personnel, but also smart enough not to meddle when he hires the right people to manage the team.

You fire the GM that created an 0-16 team, only to hire his disciple. That's just moronic.

Last edited:

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
This is a pretty dark time for Detroit sports. The Lions are awful, the Tigers are awful, the Pistons should be pretty awful, and the Wings will probably be above-average.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
This is a pretty dark time for Detroit sports. The Lions are awful, the Tigers are awful, the Pistons should be pretty awful, and the Wings will probably be above-average.

I guess we should bank on the Tigers to become an above average team or a Dynasty to have good Detroit sports then

Cause the Pistons will always suck except for about 3/5 year timeframe. and the Lions will always suck.

At least the lions will get 1 win. Bears looked way worse

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Thing is Stafford didn't always look awful. He's been productive enough even though mistake-prone. He's obviously not a great QB or even very good QB but there's a good number of teams with worse.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The Lions are killing me this year, Lombardi has to go. I know I seem like one of the bigger Stafford supporters on this site but I really dont think hes the problem. How does anyone expect a team or QB to do anything when theyre getting less than 2 yards a carry? All these draft picks theyve been getting need t go into that O line at tackle. Warford and Tomlinson are gonna be great for a while, draft a stud left tackle in the first round and move Reiff back to right. Get a run game and some protection for Stafford and let him throw the ball. Hes got the arm to air it out to Calvin, he doesnt have the time though.

At least Michigan is looking good this year or I would have probably given up watching football at this point. I think that win htis weekend was a solid test against a good team and Michigan bent them over. That defense is legit and their one loss first week looks pretty good now after the thumping Oregon got at home. For comparison's sake, Sparty is ranked number 2 essentially beating Oregon by 3 at home. Michigans only loss just destroyed Oregon on the road. Now thats not to take away from SParty theyre a solid team (not quite umber 2 to me though) but Michigan has been more impressive to me this year so far and theyre only four games in with the new coach. By the end of the season who knows how they'll lookwith how improved they are already

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Pistons will probably be a 6th seed in the East this year. Not that it means anything though because only 4 teams really have a chance of winning the title in the NBA each year. :shakehead No parity.

I think the Tigers missed their window, but I think they can rebound and hover around the wild card the next couple seasons at least.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Lions are killing me this year, Lombardi has to go. I know I seem like one of the bigger Stafford supporters on this site but I really dont think hes the problem. How does anyone expect a team or QB to do anything when theyre getting less than 2 yards a carry? All these draft picks theyve been getting need t go into that O line at tackle. Warford and Tomlinson are gonna be great for a while, draft a stud left tackle in the first round and move Reiff back to right. Get a run game and some protection for Stafford and let him throw the ball. Hes got the arm to air it out to Calvin, he doesnt have the time though.

At least Michigan is looking good this year or I would have probably given up watching football at this point. I think that win htis weekend was a solid test against a good team and Michigan bent them over. That defense is legit and their one loss first week looks pretty good now after the thumping Oregon got at home. For comparison's sake, Sparty is ranked number 2 essentially beating Oregon by 3 at home. Michigans only loss just destroyed Oregon on the road. Now thats not to take away from SParty theyre a solid team (not quite umber 2 to me though) but Michigan has been more impressive to me this year so far and theyre only four games in with the new coach. By the end of the season who knows how they'll lookwith how improved they are already

Worth noting Oregon quit in that game. I still have some serious questions about Michigan's o-line. BYU has given up a lot of yards on the ground. What Utah did to beat Michigan was turn them one dimensional to rely on their mediocre QB. It is a plan the rest of the B1G will try to force feed U of M from here on out, the loss of their #1 RB is also big in this regard.

I am impressed with the progress, but the push they get up front still isn't super impressive.

Though MSU needs to figure out how to run the ball a little better. It is still pretty hard to imagine U of M's o-line handling the defensive lines of either tOSU or MSU.

Harbaugh will correct this, just not sure he can do so this year. Lots of props on the beat down they put on BYU. It was a game we haven't seen U of M play in a long time and extremely encouraging for their fan-base and really the B1G as a whole, MSU and the conference as a whole is better off with U of M meaning something significant again. I will admit as a life-long MSU fan it was fun to watch them squirm, but you need your big boys for national perception and for that win to be truly as significant as it should be, so I welcome them rebounding, I wish it had humbled a larger part of their fan-base more but enough is enough, they need to be better and it looks like they are going to be.

MSU needs more on special teams and on the ground to really get humming. They still matchup well with Michigan, their strength is U of M weakness and I am not sure Rudock can take advantage of their secondary.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Everybody sitting on the couch knows what they are going to do. Lombardi is garbage.

It's like playing Tecmo Super Bowl. Some teams' plays all look different, and it's very easy to tell which play they're running just from the formation and the motion.

The fact that the Lions' offense is as easily cracked as an 8 play playbook from a 25 year old NES game tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
It's like playing Tecmo Super Bowl. Some teams' plays all look different, and it's very easy to tell which play they're running just from the formation and the motion.

The fact that the Lions' offense is as easily cracked as an 8 play playbook from a 25 year old NES game tells you all you need to know.

Maybe on the other side of that laminated sheet, are all the Tecmo plays printed out?

It's still better than using electronic or electric football as a guide.

61n8D8EdjFL._SL1000_.jpg

1CMWvi.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad