OT: Michigan Sports Talk IV: The Voyage to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Is Lombardozzi really such a fail? His offensive and defensive numbers are at least better as Kelly's, so right now I'd consider him the better player.

Gruß,
BSHH

They're both AAAA players, or 25th men on a mediocre NL team where defensive versatility is actually important and players don't have to be able to hit.

I wish the Tigers had a real bench, is all. When your big clutch pinch hitter is Kelly or Lombardozzi or Holaday, well, don't hold your breath waiting for that big hit in the 8th inning of game 6. It's not gonna happen.

Tigers are #2. Lions are #1. Wings #3.

I feel deeply, deeply sorry for anyone that considers the Lions to be their #1.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I think the number #1 sport in the state is football...Lions, Spartans, Wolverines, the other local colleges and down to the high school level.

The Tigers might be the most popular team right now because they're the most successful (relatively speaking). The Lions would own this state if they ever won a title. Another World Series for the Tigers would also be a big deal but we've been waiting for it since this team transitioned into a perennial contender from 'just a team'.

The Wings are very popular amongst it's existing fans...but the same can be said for hockey in general. They get a little more attention in the spring time.

Basketball is down in the state but I think college basketball popularity has to be spiking with State always being a contender and now Michigan is legit program again. The Pistons are a mess...just look at the half-empty Palace to show how little people care about them.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
If all teams were successful I'd rank them as follows:

1. Lions
2. Tigers
3. Red Wings
4. Pistons

Now with that said the only one I'd worry about is basketball, and thats mostly due to it being out at the Palace. Michigan is a pretty diehard sports state. Its not like people won't support all 4 sports if they are entertaining. Interest may wax and wane a bit like with the Wings currently, but I doubt any of the teams would ever get moved. Its not like the college market gets dumped on because of the pro teams, we have one of the largest college markets in the country as well.

Johnny 5

is alive, motherf—
Jan 25, 2010
The Milky Way
I would love if the Pistons got moved. Then the Wings wouldn't have to compete with them for games on FSN.

Kidding but kind of not

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
RIP William Ford.

I hated your decisions as an NFL owner (keeping Millen forever, preventing Mayhew from firing Schwartz last offseason), but you seemed like you legitimately wanted to win a Super Bowl. Let's hope our boys can get one for you in the near future.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
A bit sad to hear of WCF's passing...I do agree that football is #1 overall, and the Lions, win or lose, are the most popular. Probably doesn't hurt that they only have 8 home games.

Beyond that, it depends who is winning, I remember the Wings bandwagon around 1996/97, or that almost no one gave a crap about the Tigers in the early 2000's, especially 2003, even with CoPa opening up in 2000, but winning changes things, IIRC my dad told that the opening day tix sold out like like 25 minutes or something, and it's against the fringin' Royals.

Basketball just bores me to death, but the Palace is a cool venue, and with both State and Michigan doing well, it boosts the conference a bit.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'm sure he was a nice man...probably too nice (see MM)...but the losing has to stop. Don't know if we'll see a Rocky Wirtz-like bump to the Lions but it's difficult to be worse for a half-century when so many other also-ran franchises have either won or flirted with winning a Super Bowl.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Beyond that, it depends who is winning, I remember the Wings bandwagon around 1996/97, or that almost no one gave a crap about the Tigers in the early 2000's, especially 2003, even with CoPa opening up in 2000, but winning changes things, IIRC my dad told that the opening day tix sold out like like 25 minutes or something, and it's against the fringin' Royals.

Pretty much.

Like many others, Michigan is a football state. Teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh might be successful now in hockey. But they would still rank behind the Bears and Steelers respectively.

In terms of bandwagon, the biggest team is the Pistons. When they're garbage, fans stay away(and frankly, they should). But when they're putting out a decent to good product, they're gold. Which means if by chance they ever leave the state, they'll be granted an expansion team quickly. This isn't Seattle.

I still believe that single game attendance record still holds today that was set back in the playoffs at the Silverdome in '88.

If by chance all four teams were successful at the same time, it would easily be:

1) Lions
2) Tigers
3) Pistons
4) Red Wings

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Lions sign Golden Tate to a 5 year deal, worth 31 Mil

Interesting, he should fit in well with the team. Exactly the kind of guy Lombardi said he wanted to pair with Megatron, good hands and can get YAC. Still hope they go for Evans out of Texas A&M in the first.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Tate would make for an amazing slot receiver if we develop a #2 receiver through the draft. For now, I'm sure he can perform well on the other side of CJ.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Interesting, he should fit in well with the team. Exactly the kind of guy Lombardi said he wanted to pair with Megatron, good hands and can get YAC. Still hope they go for Evans out of Texas A&M in the first.

there are rumors going round that were going to trade up and nab Watkins. if they do we'll have an offense that could rival Denver.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm flabbergasted. A WR with pick #10? Really??

Until the secondary and defense improves, it doesn't matter what kind of offense we have.

And surrounding Stafford with more weapons doesn't mean he's suddenly going to stop turning the ball over, making poor decisions, and being inconsistent in his mechanics. Stafford isn't Peyton Manning. Manning is automatic in the short-middle range throws. Stafford is not. Manning doesn't go from one extreme to the other throughout two halfs of a game, unless it's the playoffs of course. At some point we need to stop fantasizing about all these weapons and just ask Stafford to play winning football. And even if Detroit had an offense even remotely similar to Denver's record breaking group, how do you think we'd match up against teams like Seattle and SF? Denver actually had a pretty good defense and look what happened to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad