Michel Therrien

IceHockeyfan

Feb 18, 2012
Therrien is an average coach which is not good enough. I have seen too many coaches that play favorites and don't bench players that play bad, so Therrien is not alone. That should not be an excuse however.

I blame Therrien for this disaster of a series against the Rangers. He regularly gets out coached. The only good thing he has done this series is choosing Tokarski over Budaj. The problem is that, judging by the opinions of the majority of Habs fans, sports writers and at least the Tampa Bay coach, nearly every other coach would have gambled on Tokarski too.

The Habs beat Boston despite Therrien. He is the guy that put in Murray, against the consensus, who cost the Habs Game 4. It also helped that, throughout the series, Julien was so stubborn and refused to make adjustments to counter the Habs' speed advantage.

And MB wants to give him a contract extension?! As long as he is around and as long as the French press praises Therrien, we are stuck with him.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Therrien is an average coach which is not good enough. I have seen too many coaches that play favorites and don't bench players that play bad, so Therrien is not alone. That should not be an excuse however.

I blame Therrien for this disaster of a series against the Rangers. He regularly gets out coached. The only good thing he has done this series is choosing Tokarski over Budaj. The problem is that, judging by the opinions of the majority of Habs fans, sports writers and at least the Tampa Bay coach, nearly every other coach would have gambled on Tokarski too.

The Habs beat Boston despite Therrien. He is the guy that put in Murray, against the consensus, who cost the Habs Game 4. It also helped that, throughout the series, Julien was so stubborn and refused to make adjustments to counter the Habs' speed advantage.

And MB wants to give him a contract extension?! As long as he is around and as long as the French press praises Therrien, we are stuck with him.

Missed the game last night but saw overtime, I thought it was ours for the taking with the powerplay in overtime until I saw Bourque and Vanek out there. WTF did he not start Eller, Gally and Gallagher?

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I am shocked how this mediocre team has made it this far and everyone wants Therrien fired still. Maybe "shocked" isn't the right word, what is the opposite of "shocked"?

djpass

Therrien has done much better than expected by most, with his calls and overall coaching.

He's rough on the edges and certainly not the greatest tactician, but in general now his vast experience is compensating.

Too many of you throw around the term being outcoached, yet almost never provide any specific examples. Yes he'll sometimes make bad calls during the game but lets be honest, in general he makes more good ones than bad ones. You can't just focus on the bad ones and disregard the many good ones, hence partly why we're in the semi-final.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Therrien has done much better than expected by most, with his calls and overall coaching.

He's rough on the edges and certainly not the greatest tactician, but in general now his vast experience is compensating.

Too many of you throw around the term being outcoached, yet almost never provide any specific examples. Yes he'll sometimes make bad calls during the game but lets be honest, in general he makes more good ones than bad ones. You can't just focus on the bad ones and disregard the many good ones, hence partly why we're in the semi-final.

He's not terrible. He's also not good. Team is winning so makes no sense getting rid of him, but in a perfect world, I'd replace him yesterday.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
5 min pp
2 goal lead
late in the game, but 4min to play after the PP

do you think this would be a place to get your young, highly skilled offensive defensive some much needed PP time?

Nope, let's instead platoon our best dmen, so that when the penalty expires they are absolutely gassed and you have to call a timeout to rest them up for the last stretch.

this guy coaches the way a peewee hockey dad coaches. it's painful to watch.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
He's not terrible. He's also not good. Team is winning so makes no sense getting rid of him, but in a perfect world, I'd replace him yesterday.

I'd replace him yesterday.[/QUOTE]
Why....because your a better coach???

MT wins games everywhere he has coached, sooo call me stupid but I think he a really good coach.

Anyways a Great Game to the Habs and that includes MT and MB because this is still a team game that includes coaches and managers :handclap::handclap::handclap:

I wonder if all the complainers here have problems with there bosses at work:sarcasm:

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
We will see if Therrien is smart or average.

Does he reunite Vanek with DD and Pacioretty?

Does he reunite the EGG line?

As it stands right now, Vanek cannot score points and looks disjointed on the other lines. This after being a stud with DD and Pacioretty.

Eller is scoring points, Galchenyuk looks fresh and Gallagher is still fired up.

Bourque is a line-killer. There is no way in hell Vanek will score playing with him.

We will have the answer revealed to us at the start of Game 5.

I guess we wont be hearing from you for a few days? Go ahead and hide, this kinda stuff is embarrassing.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
5 min pp
2 goal lead

do you think this would be a place to get your young, highly skilled offensive defensive some much needed PP time?

Nope, let's instead platoon our best dmen, so that when the penalty expires they are absolutely gassed and you have to call a timeout to rest them up for the last stretch.

The thing that was "much needed" on that Pp was another goal to ice the game.

Not the time to star playing "well maybe if we play this guy it will be good for his development".

Unreal!:facepalm:

You're 2 wins and 7 minutes from the cup final, it's not about trying to develop young players...YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
5 min pp
2 goal lead

Of course we need to put our young player so they can do a bad play and be destroyed.

This bashing against Therrien is way beyond reason.
No argument, just to put younger player.
Like Therrien did not gave ice to Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Bournival.
Like Subban getting the most TOI in the PO.

Prust, Moen, Bouillon and Emelin were all of the ice.

I am impressed with Therrien, he is very good.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
This is a classic game of MT poor coaching being overshadowed by the team winning. And here we have people impressed by a coach who consistently put his 4th line out there against the Rangers 1st and it cost the team 2 goals. A guy who kept putting out the same trash pp and gave no ice time to the players who were actually scoring. Impressive eh? Will he be credited with being forced into playing beaulieu too?

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS

Not the time to star playing "well maybe if we play this guy it will be good for his development".

You're 2 wins and 7 minutes from the cup final, it's not about trying to develop young players...YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!
He wasn't wrong in that criticism and I called it out at the time in the GDT. Subban & Markov (especially PK) were playing stupid long shifts during that major, there was no need of it, and it damn near burned them when they got caught on that icing. If the Rangers had controlled that faceoff, in 10 seconds it would have been a 6-on-4 with our two D completely gassed.

That situation called for better discipline in the shift lengths, and Therrien either didn't understand that or didn't enforce it. I'll share the blame here with Markov & especially PK, who both should have known better than to try that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is a classic game of MT poor coaching being overshadowed by the team winning. And here we have people impressed by a coach who consistently put his 4th line out there against the Rangers 1st and it cost the team 2 goals. A guy who kept putting out the same trash pp and gave no ice time to the players who were actually scoring. Impressive eh? Will he be credited with being forced into playing beaulieu too?
Pretty much.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Pretty much.

Both goals against the Briere line started off with faceoff loss in the NYR zone. So I guess MT is stupid for starting his 4th line in the offensive zone...much better to start the 4th line in the D-zone:shakehead
The first goal should never have went in and I am sure Dustin would love to have that one back...............
The 2nd goal again started in the NYR zone against a tired Richards line that had just ice the puck . MTL lost the draw and the NYR were able to change and MTL got scored on. Markov lost a foot race to the puck to Nash, who was able to put the puck into the slot and the rest is history.

So please tell me what MT did wrong on these goals???
When do you play your 4th line???
Have any of the so called expert coaches on this board coached anything in there life???
Do you know what TEAM means???
Or do you think MTL should only play 2 lines and 3 d-man the whole game and every series
:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

We didn't need a goal. We had a great chance to rest a guy whose been playing over 30min for 4-5 straight games without risk to winning. Resting Subban in that situation increases our chance of winning because the rangers were going to be pushing hard in the final minutes and that's where we needed Subban more. It also helps us win the next game.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 16m
#canadiens Michel Therrien annonce un changement pour demain. Brendon Prust affrontera les #rangers

highstick14*

Therrien is not a good coach.

He's been the beneficiary of inheriting a team that can win without being coached.

Gerard Gallant is more of the guy communicating with the players and forming strategies.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

He's been the beneficiary of inheriting a team that can win without being coached.

Sort of the way that I see it, although he surprises me on occasion. All he needed for Subban to perform was to stop showing PK who is boss, get out of the way and let him play. I would argue the same about Eller.

I will give him credit for inserting Tokarski however.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Both goals against the Briere line started off with faceoff loss in the NYR zone. So I guess MT is stupid for starting his 4th line in the offensive zone...much better to start the 4th line in the D-zone:shakehead
The first goal should never have went in and I am sure Dustin would love to have that one back...............
The 2nd goal again started in the NYR zone against a tired Richards line that had just ice the puck . MTL lost the draw and the NYR were able to change and MTL got scored on. Markov lost a foot race to the puck to Nash, who was able to put the puck into the slot and the rest is history.

So please tell me what MT did wrong on these goals???
When do you play your 4th line???
Have any of the so called expert coaches on this board coached anything in there life???
Do you know what TEAM means???
Or do you think MTL should only play 2 lines and 3 d-man the whole game and every series
:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

It is the coach's job to put his team in the best position possible. MT doesn't seem to do that on his own accord.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Sort of the way that I see it, although he surprises me on occasion. All he needed for Subban to perform was to stop showing PK who is boss, get out of the way and let him play. I would argue the same about Eller.

I will give him credit for inserting Tokarski however.

Basically. Any time he tries to put his mark on the team, they struggle. But when he gets the **** out of the way and let the team play, they do great things. He tried to put his stamp on Subban and that backfired mightily.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 16m
#canadiens Michel Therrien annonce un changement pour demain. Brendon Prust affrontera les #rangers

Good move IMO. The guy is rested and will be eager to make a difference on the MSG's ice. Hopefully, he'll stay out of the box while making the Ranger's defense pay the price on every dump in.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

Gerard Gallant is more of the guy communicating with the players and forming strategies.

Gerard Gallant is also the guy running the PP and it's been a mess this year.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Hilarious people still subscribe to this theory, but not surprising. It's the same story for the players this board likes and dislikes. Everything Subban/Eller/Galchenyuk/etc do well is because of themselves, anything they do wrong is the coach's/GM's/linemate's fault.

A convenient narrative because thinking about hockey is hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad