Michel Therrien

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I want to see how he reacts when things aren't going so good. All he had to do was sit back and enjoy the show. The habs were clicking in all aspects against an inferior club. His system looked great, but I still don't believe he's an intelligent man who is better than any other average coach. I think he's really bad, but I can't complain about him during the first round, everything worked, but I'm not ready to proclaim him to be anything more than what I thought he was after watching 82 games.

82 >>> 4. If the team continues to respond to MT the way they did this series, obviously I'll be eating crow, but I don't think he did anything special, but he certainly didn't do anything to hurt us either in the first round.

My dislike for Therrien has absolutely nothing to do with the language he speaks, there are many qualified french speaking Canadians to run the habs. The problem I have with the language thing is the process leading to the decision, being French should give two otherwise equal candidates an advantage, no doubt, but it shouldn't be the number one trait. We shouldn't be eliminating candidates based on language alone, we should put them through the process, if we like what they're selling, provide language training/interpreters for the coach if he's willing to do so. I believe anyone vying for the position has an obligation to at least learn the basics of the language the province speaks, but I think ruling out otherwise potentially better candidates on this criteria alone is a huge mistake.

Last edited:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I want to see how he reacts when things aren't going so good. All he had to do was sit back and enjoy the show. The habs were clicking in all aspects against an inferior club. His system looked great, but I still don't believe he's an intelligent man who is better than any other average coach. I think he's really bad, but I can't complain about him during the first round, everything worked, but I'm not ready to proclaim him to be anything more than what I thought he was after watching 82 games.

82 >>> 4. If the team continues to respond to MT the way they did this series, obviously I'll be eating crow, but I don't think he did anything special, but he certainly didn't do anything to hurt us either in the first round.

Exactly. MT gets credit for the win but he just had to sit back and watch tampa self destruct. Now next round is where he will have to earn his paycheck.

Capitaine Subban*

I want to see how he reacts when things aren't going so good. All he had to do was sit back and enjoy the show.

So he had no impact when things go well but all the blame when it goes bad ?

82 >>> 4.

82 = 100 pt and 4 = sweep . I think it's good

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I want to see how he reacts when things aren't going so good. All he had to do was sit back and enjoy the show.

So he had no impact when things go well but all the blame when it goes bad ?

82 >>> 4.

82 = 100 pt and 4 = sweep . I think it's good

If you look at results alone and not the process that lead to those results, sure. These 4 games are basically the only 4 games the habs have looked good, even though we reached 100 points, we did so, largely despite coach Therrien, he rode poor players over better players, ie Murray being on the ice, benching Subban when we need to score, playing Markov beyond the minutes he should be playing and on and on. He deployed a system similar to JM which was basically lay and pray, hope Price bails us out.

Nearly every young player on the team saw some regression aside from Patches. Why did it take him 82 games to realize Eller can be a positive contributor to this team? Sure Eller takes some of the blame here, but so does the coach who didn't put him in a good position to succeed. Now, all the sudden, he's leaning on him. Weird, tbh.

Although optically 100 points is excellent, however, the teams play, on most nights was anything but excellent. He should have been playing this system all year long.

Capitaine Subban*

If you look at results alone and not the process that lead to those results, sure. These 4 games are basically the only 4 games the habs have looked good, even though we reached 100 points, we did so, largely despite coach Therrien, he rode poor players over better players, ie Murray being on the ice, benching Subban when we need to score, playing Markov beyond the minutes he should be playing and on and on. He deployed a system similar to JM which was basically lay and pray, hope Price bails us out.

Nearly every young player on the team saw some regression aside from Patches. Why did it take him 82 games to realize Eller can be a positive contributor to this team? Sure Eller takes some of the blame here, but so does the coach who didn't put him in a good position to succeed. Now, all the sudden, he's leaning on him. Weird, tbh.

Although optically 100 points is excellent, however, the teams play, on most nights was anything but excellent. He should have been playing this system all year long.
I think the whole process was necessary to be better 4 the playoff. I mean the tough love on subban, the Eller situation, Murray playing ...
He puts a great 4 line rolling lineup with an aggressive forecheck to expose the weak D-squad of tbay. He should get credit for preparing the team well for that serie and TWO excellent regular season.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I think the whole process was necessary to be better 4 the playoff. I mean the tough love on subban, the Eller situation, Murray playing ...
He puts a great 4 line rolling lineup with an aggressive forecheck to expose the weak D-squad of tbay. He should get credit for preparing the team well for that serie and TWO excellent regular season.

You can't be serious. So now that we swept a terrible team, all the crap MT pulled was the right thing? What? Did you ever think that if he didn't have his head in his ass all season that the team would have obliterated tampa with a seasoned tinordi and beaulieu instead of eeking out wins? The mind games wit subban, Lars, tinodi, etc were justified? Wow

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I don't like some of the the things he does.
I don't like the way he handles his lines sometimes.

But God damn, he has implemented a system, the team he is coaching is following that system AND they are winning.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Never been a fan of MT, and never will be...his decisions leave me baffled, and I firmly believe a coach can make a difference, but not sure if he can...we have to give the team credit, for winning in spite of this guy, at times...average at best.

Capitaine Subban*

For the Therrien detractor, do u really think the habs r Boston - Chicago
stack and are underacheiving under a scrub coach like Therrien ?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

But God damn, he has implemented a system, the team he is coaching is following that system AND they are winning.

Is the team winning because of him and his system?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Thing is, if we got beaten by Boston, Therrien will come out with "We didn't follow the plan". If we win...."we followed the plan". Sorry, it's not always as easy. And the coach is not THE SOLE reason for winning. That's like Therrien comments about HIM being the reason why Subban went to the Olympics. Sorry, I'm not a fan of that persona.

He's done better than I thought. He's not as awful as I thought he'd be. But he still would not be my choice. There's a guy in Colorado who is pretty good himself....

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
For the Therrien detractor, do u really think the habs r Boston - Chicago
stack and are underacheiving under a scrub coach like Therrien ?

The biggest misconception is that the Habs don't have a talented roster. There is tonnes of talent there. Why do you think people got down on MT? Hpow many coaches would struggle to deal with the talent and depth on this roster? Elle at times and briere on the 4th line and bourque in the press box. We have a top 10 roster.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The biggest misconception is that the Habs don't have a talented roster. There is tonnes of talent there. Why do you think people got down on MT? Hpow many coaches would struggle to deal with the talent and depth on this roster? Elle at times and briere on the 4th line and bourque in the press box. We have a top 10 roster.

You are using the new found talent we didn't think we had. Eller isn't playing with Vanek and Pacioretty and yet....look much better than he was looking before. Everybody wanted to get rid of Gionta, Brière and Bourque. Geez, the REAL new found TALENT that we have is probably the only one not working with Vanek. But the rest wasn't suppose to shine as much as they did in this series.

Now....if we have talent, means that we will need to beat a REAL top end goalie and team. That goalie is coming in the next round. If we beat him and give hell to that Boston team even if we end up losing a tough close series, I will revise my opinion about the real talent of the team. Until then....I'll say that they surprised us a whole lot. And that we're really happy to have finish this as early as we did. But that's it. Not going to revise my opinion based on playing TBay and their 2nd and 3rd goalies.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I go with "bad". You can't be anything but "bad", running the team the way he did in the regular season, with some of the bizarre decisions he made. It's nice that he's being "not bad" right at the moment, but I don't see many old dogs truly learning new tricks, least of all Therrien. He got a good matchup and some unexpected players coming through, but let's see what he does next... I don't expect him to stay "not bad" for long. But we'll see.

Jacques Trap*

So although MT did very little right during the regular season, and the Habs only looked good during these 4 games in the playoffs and are now playing the right system, how many points over 100 do you think they would have had in the regular season had MT made the choices he's making now and playing the correct system. 120? 130? More?

Capitaine Subban*

Some think we have the 76-77 habs roster and Michel Therrien is screwing the team big time. Remember the fun time with cunneyworth when we were great ...

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
So although MT did very little right during the regular season, and the Habs only looked good during these 4 games in the playoffs and are now playing the right system, how many points over 100 do you think they would have had in the regular season had MT made the choices he's making now and playing the correct system. 120? 130? More?

You know, I'm someone who hated very very much how Therrien handled the team during the regular season, his clear bias for some players (hell, he even basically admitted a few days ago in interview that he has a big Bouillon bias and it was hard for him to leave him aside) and issues with others, etc.

But do I think a different coach/system would've gotten so many more points for the Habs? Likely not, maybe 4-6, who knows. Price won a whole lot of games we didn't really have business winning this season. In many stretches we were winning but looking pretty bad in the process. I think a better coach/system (and at least vs TB we DID have a different system than in the season and we actually looked for once like a puck possession team) would mostly have allowed us to look a whole lot better in the games we won and have a team well trained in using this system come playoff time.

But hey, I did revise my view of Therrien from bad to average because he did adjust the team's system in the playoffs, and I cannot argue with the team stats in terms of points/wins. I don't think a bad coach would've gotten where he did with this team. I still really dislike him as a whole and wish he's replaced next season, but credit where credit is due, up to now he certainly handled the playoffs quite well.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
People don't give MT enough credit.

He pitched a system to the players and they bought in to it. He makes frustrating decisions sometimes yes. Like when he plays Bouillon on the first pair but the fact remains that we keep on winning.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I think he is a good coach, but I don't know enough about coaching in the NHL to make much of an informed opinion. I think he out-couched Jon Cooper in these playoffs, and I think he is setting a good example for this team. I wish him and the Habs the best of luck for the remainder of the playoffs and support him 100%.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
People put too much stock into what he says instead of concentrating on the on-ice results. The team is playing well and they look organized. Credit to the coaching staff is well deserved.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I think he's coached the best series of his career as a habs coach. But i also think he's going to be eaten alive by Claude Julien.

I think he's an okay coach, not bad, but not great either. At least he has a system, but it's the only system he knows, he won't adapt with the players he has.

I still think he should've prepared either Tinordi or Beaulieu during the season to take a full time spot in the bottom pairing come playoffs time. That would've helped a lot.

Price will have to be in the best form of his career for us to stand a chance against the Bruins.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
LOL to what the results would have been a month ago. Winning is everything baby. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad