Micheal Ferland has arrived

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ferland's linemates having success is not proof of him playing well.

When you say things like that it makes it sound he's had pretty much no impact on the vast improvement we've seen from Monahan and Gaudreau? Is that the case?

From February 21st to March 9th, Ferland had 6 goals, 0 assists in 8 games.
From March 10th to the end of the regular season, Ferland had 1 goal and 3 assists in 13 games.
In the playoffs, Ferland had 0 goals and 0 assists in 4 games.
From opening day until October 21st, Ferland had 1 goal and 0 assists in 7 games.
Now from October 22nd to the present Ferland has 9 goals and 4 assists in 15 games.

Ooh this is fun, let's do Sean Monahan's season last year:

First 24gp: 3g 5a
Next 10gp: 5g 7a
Next 10gp: 0g 3a
Next 11gp: 9g 3a
Next 4gp: 0g 0a
Next 9gp: 3g 8a
Next 3gp: 0g 0a
Next 5gp: 4g 6a
Next 6gp: 1g 1a

The worst thing about the above? Monahan was given every chance to succeed. Playing top line minutes with the best player on the team and getting tons of PP time. Can't say the same for Ferland. And unlike Monahan, when Ferland isn't scoring he's still very effective - he's great on the forecheck and has been excellent screening goalies - things that don't show up on the score sheet but have certainly helped guys like Gaudreau.

So let's be honest here OKG, Ferland played like a top line player for 23 of those games and did very little in the other 24. My entire point is when this hot streak ends (because it will, they always do for every player), how long will he go without solid production? If he goes another 24 games, then no he has not arrived. If he gets hot again in 10, maybe he has. Right now his hot and cold stretches are very much like David Moss.

Let's be honest, Monahan played like a first line player for only 35 games all last season and produced very little in the other 57. When this hot streak end how long will he go without solid production? If he goes another 24 games then no, he has not arrived.

That is not me cheering against him, that is not me rooting for him to fail. I would ****ing love for him to prove me wrong. But when he goes 24 games and gets 5 points, that is not playing like a first line player, regardless of how good his linemates are.

When Monahan goes 24 games and only gets 8 points, that is not playing like a first line player.

You see how silly this line of thinking is?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
When you say things like that it makes it sound he's had pretty much no impact on the vast improvement we've seen from Monahan and Gaudreau? Is that the case?

Ooh this is fun, let's do Sean Monahan's season last year:

First 24gp: 3g 5a
Next 10gp: 5g 7a
Next 10gp: 0g 3a
Next 11gp: 9g 3a
Next 4gp: 0g 0a
Next 9gp: 3g 8a
Next 3gp: 0g 0a
Next 5gp: 4g 6a
Next 6gp: 1g 1a

The worst thing about the above? Monahan was given every chance to succeed. Playing top line minutes with the best player on the team and getting tons of PP time. Can't say the same for Ferland. And unlike Monahan, when Ferland isn't scoring he's still very effective - he's great on the forecheck and has been excellent screening goalies - things that don't show up on the score sheet but have certainly helped guys like Gaudreau.

Let's be honest, Monahan played like a first line player for only 35 games all last season and produced very little in the other 57. When this hot streak end how long will he go without solid production? If he goes another 24 games then no, he has not arrived.

When Monahan goes 24 games and only gets 8 points, that is not playing like a first line player.

You see how silly this line of thinking is?
when you have to break it down to 3 and 4 games, it's downright stupid. Ferland barely produced for 24 consecutive games. Before he joined the top line, he barely produced for 2/3 of the season. The fact you insist on comparing him to Monahan ad nauseam is one the the biggest jokes on HF

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
when you have to break it down to 3 and 4 games, it's downright stupid. Ferland barely produced for 24 consecutive games. Before he joined the top line, he barely produced for 2/3 of the season. The fact you insist on comparing him to Monahan ad nauseam is one the the biggest jokes on HF

Ferland's "consecutive" 24 game period is split between 2 seasons and includes 4 games where Ferland was playing in the bottom six and 4 playoff games lol.

Monahan actually had a consecutive 24 game streak of only 8 points and was on the top line for all them and top PP unit for all of them...

It's clear you don't see how hypocritical your line of thinking is. You really can't admit when you're wrong. You said he wasn't even worth a 1st round pick only 8-9 months ago. Do you still stand by that?

Also good job ignoring my question about his impact on Gaudreau and Monahan.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I will also loosely say that Ferland might have an elite shot in the NHL. The coaches have said it’s the best on the team in the past. Also top talent scout Jason Feaster made this comment years ago.

Reactions: Sk8M8 and Mobiandi

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ferland's "consecutive" 24 game period is split between 2 seasons and includes 4 games where Ferland was playing in the bottom six and 4 playoff games lol.

Monahan actually had a consecutive 24 game streak of only 8 points and was on the top line for all them and top PP unit for all of them...

It's clear you don't see how hypocritical your line of thinking is. You really can't admit when you're wrong. You said he wasn't even worth a 1st round pick only 8-9 months ago. Do you still stand by that?

Also good job ignoring my question about his impact on Gaudreau and Monahan.
the 24 games when recovering from a back injury and catching up from missing camp? Naturally you would ignore that. And honestly, when I saw the way you split up games I didn't even bother reading the rest of your drivel because it clearly wasn't worth it. Nor is this stupid argument I am putting you on ignore where you belong

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This was a classic Sutter Dub pick. What a road it's been for him though. Impossible to root against him

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Ferland has such a rare skill set, constantly surprising other teams with his speed, hands, and shot. Playing with a ton of confidence right now.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
the 24 games when recovering from a back injury and catching up from missing camp? Naturally you would ignore that. And honestly, when I saw the way you split up games I didn't even bother reading the rest of your drivel because it clearly wasn't worth it. Nor is this stupid argument I am putting you on ignore where you belong

Love it. He'd rather put his head in the sand than admit he was wrong.

That's pretty special.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
News to the devils board.
I don't post there. Used to, but it became too much of a circle jerk. Not much room for devils fans who don't tow the line - got sick and tired of being called a troll or not a true devils fan because I disagreed with some trades / draft picks.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I don't post there. Used to, but it became too much of a circle jerk. Not much room for devils fans who don't tow the line - got sick and tired of being called a troll or not a true devils fan because I disagreed with some trades / draft picks.
Funny cause you claim to disagree with some things and yet I’ve been here for 7 years and never seen you post something positive about the team or a player on the team. Not to mention just about every post you make here on the main board in regards to the team involves you belittleing them.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Funny cause you claim to disagree with some things and yet I’ve been here for 7 years and never seen you post something positive about the team or a player on the team. Not to mention just about every post you make here on the main board in regards to the team involves you belittleing them.

You should read more of my posts lol. You either have selective memory or selective reading ability.

All you have to do is look at my posts from today lol.

In the Taylor Hall thread:
He's been excellent this year, especially off the rush. He and Nico are a tough pair to defend.

In the best defensive wingers thread:
In all seriousness, my 'off the board' answer would be Jesper Bratt. His anticipation and composure are off the charts. He's elite in almost every defensive skill (forecheck, back check, taking away passing lanes, stealing pucks, controlled breakouts).

How about these threads?
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/kyle-palmieri-is-a-top-10-rw.2204505/

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/travis-zajac-36-takeaways-only-3-giveaways.2029995/

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/adam-larsson-is-now-playing-25-mins-night.1808205/

Reactions: Mitts

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Ferland has shown the ability to be a top six forward for stretches especially the last quarter of 16/17 and most of 17/18. The main key for him is consistency which is something I think he can continue to maintain with chemistry he has built with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Most people think he’s just a big guy who can hit and shoot, but he has a lot more to offer. Those that watch him closely see the high hockey iq, soft hands and the ability to get on the forecheck and win puck battles. There’s no doubt in my mind that he can hit 30 goals at some point in his career. He will likely continue to be underrated in the league, but the incredible value that he provides at $1.75m won’t be ignored for long.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ferland has shown the ability to be a top six forward for stretches especially the last quarter of 16/17 and most of 17/18. The main key for him is consistency which is something I think he can continue to maintain with chemistry he has built with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Most people think he’s just a big guy who can hit and shoot, but he has a lot more to offer. Those that watch him closely see the high hockey iq, soft hands and the ability to get on the forecheck and win puck battles. There’s no doubt in my mind that he can hit 30 goals at some point in his career. He will likely continue to be underrated in the league, but the incredible value that he provides at $1.75m won’t be ignored for long.

Agreed with this. I think he's finally realizing that he has an elite shot that he needs to use whenever he's under the top of the circles. His passing has also been crazy impressive. He's made some wicked passes to spring Gaudreau on breakaways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad