Micheal Ferland has arrived

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I've been saying this for over a year, but I think it's now general knowledge. This guy is quickly turning into one of the best power forwards in the game, and is, IMO, the biggest reason for Johnny Gaudreau's turnaround.

Since he joined the top line, he's turned it into arguably the most productive trio in the league:

Gaudreau 46gp 18g 60p (14 ESG 43 ESP)
Monahan 46gp 22g 49p (13 ESG 36 ESP)
Ferland 43gp 17g 25p (14 ESG 21 ESP)

All 3 of them are top 24 in ESG over that period! That seems insane for one line!

Ferland has recently taken his game to a new level with 7g 10p in his last 10 games, scoring some beautiful snipes along the way. He could have easily had 2-3 more goals last night.

This is something I predicted 2 weeks before he finally got promoted.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/michael-ferland.2186849/

What's really impressive about Ferland is that he's done this with very little PP opportunity and ice time in general until very recently. My math suggests he's top 5 in ES G/60 since getting his promotion. He's just now starting to get true top 6 minutes.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
I wouldnt say one of the best but he is forsure trending upwards. You have to factor in that Gaudreau makes everyone around him better by quite a bit. On his own I think Ferly is probably a second line forward with around 35 point potential, playing with Gaudreau though he may be able to get 50.

That line is just clicking, players have to watch Monny because he has that rediculas sneaky ability to just get open, players have to watch Ferland because he will run you over and Johnny is Johnny.

Ferland although has really worked on his shot though great player.

Reactions: Sk8M8

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
His shot is amazing, so quick and powerful its really a treat to watch him score goals

Reactions: Sk8M8

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
he's become one of my favourite players in the league. very complete. speedy skater, good along the boards and on the cycle, excellent vision and puck skills, a hell of a shot, good defensively and on the half wall on the breakout, and he's got a laser of a shot. he goes bar down effortlessly. and he hits like a truck and can drop people in fights too.

he's also an incredibly humble and grounded guy off the ice, came from a difficult background (raised by a single mother, overcame alcoholism).

i join a lot of flames fans in being really proud of him lol

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Ferland arrives when he shows consistency

He has always shown burst of good plays

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
A 15 game stretch is not "arrived". This thread is extremely premature. He's playing the best hockey of his career and currently is fitting very well on the first line, but it's still just 15 games. He's had 7-8 game hot stretches before and then barely produced for twice as long as the hot streak, let him finish the year and see where he is it before declaring anything.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
A 15 game stretch is not "arrived". This thread is extremely premature. He's playing the best hockey of his career and currently is fitting very well on the first line, but it's still just 15 games. He's had 7-8 game hot stretches before and then barely produced for twice as long as the hot streak, let him finish the year and see where he is it before declaring anything.

Did he just arrive? Or has he always shown potential and you would mock anyone that thought he was more than a face puncher? I’ve been saying the guy had all star potential for 3 or 4 years. And it’s finally showing.

Now you’re just upset because you were so wrong about this player.

The guy carried our bottom six last year. Treliving should have signed him to a long term deal (which I was saying all off-season). You kept saying he was Lance Bouma 2.0 (even though they are not similar players at all).

Can’t you just admit you were wrong about the guy?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Did he just arrive? Or has he always shown potential and you would mock anyone that thought he was more than a face puncher? I’ve been saying the guy had all star potential for 3 or 4 years. And it’s finally showing.

Now you’re just upset because you were so wrong about this player.

The guy carried our bottom six last year. Treliving should have signed him to a long term deal (which I was saying all off-season). You kept saying he was Lance Bouma 2.0 (even though they are not similar players at all).

Can’t you just admit you were wrong about the guy?
Where did I mock anything? And why would I be upset that a Flames player is doing well? I also never once said he was just a face puncher, I said it was part of the reason he was drafted where he was, no more, no less.

Honestly who this thread about is irrelevant, I say the same thing about every single player. Until they do it consistently, they have not "arrived"

But keep making things up and spinning your narrative about me. When Ferland actually proves me wrong, I will gladly admit it. I've always admitted when I am wrong.

cam7aylor

Jan 26, 2016
I hear he's a really good guy as well. My cousin grew up playing minor hockey with him here in Manitoba. When my cousin's mom passed away he invited my cousin to come on a flames roadtrip or hang out in Calg to get his mind in a better place. Kid has my thumbs up

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Ferland's coming up on four years of sobriety, which he's credited as having really helped to turn his game and life around. I have mad respect for him, and it's great to see him doing so well.

Reactions: Mitts

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm a fan. One of the most skilled players on the Flames, and such an underrated passer too; only reason he doesn't pick up many assists is because when he gets the puck he's so often a lock to score with that deadly shot that there's no pass to be made. I always thought he'd be a 25/25 guy once he found some consistent ice time in a scoring role, but he's looking more like he'll be a 35/15 guy this season which isn't indicative of his passing.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Ferland is a great guy, growing with no father around and a single mom who did everything to keep her kids(especially Michael) in hockey, that is a hard thing to do. Than he had the drinking problem and he over came that, he went through a lot and is doing very good for being drafted in the 5th round(props to the Flames scouting, Johnny, Brodie all in the later rounds.)

Having said that Ferland is not a top forward in NHL(just yet) and he is not the biggest reason for Johnny's best season(he is part of of the reason that Johnny is having a good season but not the biggest.)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

It's actually a stretch that dates back to when he was promoted to the Flames top line. 43 games, and he was taken off the top line for 5 of those.

So in 38 games as a top line player he's got 16g 24p despite playing only ~13:15 ES minutes per game and only ~1:30 on the PP. That's like 1.70 G/60 over a pretty large sample size and a 35 goal 52 point pace.

You can complain about his streakiness, but most snipers tend to be streaky. He's been the Flames best goal scorer at ES over more than half a season worth of games.

And even if you don't believe his production is sustainable (no evidence to suggest it's not), the impact he's had on the top line is quite apparent.

Before Ferland:

49gp 11g 35p -18 for Gaudreau
59gp 19g 35p -16 for Monahan

After Ferland:

46gp 18g 60p +17 for Gaudreau
46gp 22g 49p +23 for Monahan

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Man, as he keeps this up, his next contract in summer 2019 is going to be expensive. Gonna have to buy out Brouwer at minimum. This is why I wanted a long term deal for him last summer.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
It's actually a stretch that dates back to when he was promoted to the Flames top line. 43 games, and he was taken off the top line for 5 of those.

So in 38 games as a top line player he's got 16g 24p despite playing only ~13:15 ES minutes per game and only ~1:30 on the PP. That's like 1.70 G/60 over a pretty large sample size and a 35 goal 52 point pace.

You can complain about his streakiness, but most snipers tend to be streaky. He's been the Flames best goal scorer at ES over more than half a season worth of games.

And even if you don't believe his production is sustainable (no evidence to suggest it's not), the impact he's had on the top line is quite apparent.

Before Ferland:

49gp 11g 35p -18 for Gaudreau
59gp 19g 35p -16 for Monahan

After Ferland:

46gp 18g 60p +17 for Gaudreau
46gp 22g 49p +23 for Monahan
Ferland's linemates having success is not proof of him playing well.

From February 21st to March 9th, Ferland had 6 goals, 0 assists in 8 games.
From March 10th to the end of the regular season, Ferland had 1 goal and 3 assists in 13 games.
In the playoffs, Ferland had 0 goals and 0 assists in 4 games.
From opening day until October 21st, Ferland had 1 goal and 0 assists in 7 games.
Now from October 22nd to the present Ferland has 9 goals and 4 assists in 15 games.

So let's be honest here OKG, Ferland played like a top line player for 23 of those games and did very little in the other 24. My entire point is when this hot streak ends (because it will, they always do for every player), how long will he go without solid production? If he goes another 24 games, then no he has not arrived. If he gets hot again in 10, maybe he has. Right now his hot and cold stretches are very much like David Moss.

That is not me cheering against him, that is not me rooting for him to fail. I would f***ing love for him to prove me wrong. But when he goes 24 games and gets 5 points, that is not playing like a first line player, regardless of how good his linemates are.

Reactions: ESH and haveandare

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Along with the self proclaimed greatest "D" in the league, now apparently they have the "greatest power forward in the league" after a quarter season.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Reactions: Monabae

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kid's a beauty.
Hard not to cheer for him with his story of true perseverance, from his mom to his battle with sobriety.

He's found an awesome niche with Gaudreau; similar to Monahan. Guy's playing like a top liner right now; and I hope he continues it. The guy was a beauty in junior too, has all the skills in the world to be an elite PF in this league.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
You of all people criticizing others for this is hilarious
It's also funny because you of all people, know I gladly admit when I am wrong. Remember when I starter the crow eating thread after I ripped apart Kris Russel when he was acquired and then he ended up being pretty good for us. But yes, I never admit I am wrong :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->