Value of: Michael Stone

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Well his -6.9 C Rel shows thats he's the worst of the bunch this season.

Someone pays a 1st for Stone, they are going to have serious buyers remorse.

And Arizona is supposed a good group of defenders OEL is elite, Goligoski, Stone, Chychrun, Murphy. Hell of a lot better on paper than the Leafs D.

Guess the forwards aren't great, missing that No. 1 C hurts.
and Mike Smith is a damn good goalie too(especially vs the Oilers :rant:) Stone is quickly becoming the #6D in ARI with OEL/Goligoski as the top 2 and Chychrun/Murphy/DeAngelo poised to overtake him. In saying all this he's part of the problem on a team that absolutely bleeds goals and plays 2+ minutes on a bad PK. The team overall is mindboggling

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
and Mike Smith is a damn good goalie too(especially vs the Oilers :rant:) Stone is quickly becoming the #6D in ARI with OEL/Goligoski as the top 2 and Chychrun/Murphy/DeAngelo poised to overtake him

That's why I think a 1st +, or even a 1st alone is crazy talk. He's having a pretty brutal season.

Connor Carrick has to be one the worst No. 4 dmen in the league, and there is no way I get Stone to play ahead of him.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Pick 28-31
or
Pick 47-51 & B Prospect

Especially in a weak draft, there's really not a lot of difference between those two offers. The Coyotes might actually prefer the 2nd offer, if they think the B prospect can help Tucson in the playoffs.

If there's an offer from a team 1st or 2nd in the conference, they probably need to offer the conditional 1st to beat out a team further down in the standings offering a 2nd + B prospect. Until other teams start looking like sellers, AZ might be able to pull the conditional 1st from someone.

It should also be pointed out that Stone came back from injury to start the season. Some were saying he wouldn't be recovered in time for the season opener. So looking at his stats this season doesn't really tell the story. The 1st 20 games it was clear there was some rust and he was working to get up to speed. He's looking more and more close to his old form the last couple of games. If that holds true while pro scouts look at him over the next 5 weeks, his value is closer to the 1st.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Pick 28-31
or
Pick 47-51 & B Prospect

Especially in a weak draft, there's really not a lot of difference between those two offers. The Coyotes might actually prefer the 2nd offer, if they think the B prospect can help Tucson in the playoffs.

If there's an offer from a team 1st or 2nd in the conference, they probably need to offer the conditional 1st to beat out a team further down in the standings offering a 2nd + B prospect. Until other teams start looking like sellers, AZ might be able to pull the conditional 1st from someone.

It should also be pointed out that Stone came back from injury to start the season. Some were saying he wouldn't be recovered in time for the season opener. So looking at his stats this season doesn't really tell the story. The 1st 20 games it was clear there was some rust and he was working to get up to speed. He's looking more and more close to his old form the last couple of games. If that holds true while pro scouts look at him over the next 5 weeks, his value is closer to the 1st.

Hopefully for ARI sake this is true, cause first half of season he was in Matt Hunwick territory.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
He's worth a 1st in the 20-31 range. There are about a dozen teams that have the potential to win a single round in the playoffs. The draft is pretty weak. A 1st is fair. I am not sure if Arizona wants picks though.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hopefully for ARI sake this is true, cause first half of season he was in Matt Hunwick territory.

That's the problem with stats without context.

And that might be one of the sins the Chayka-Tippett crew are guilty of committing. They claimed that Vermette was a "net negative", even though his surface stats showed that he was streaky and overpaid, but not that bad - particularly in light of having Hanzal (regular injuries), Strome (beanpole w/0 NHL games) and Dvorak (0 NHL games) as you're center depth. In light of that context, you definitely don't buy out Vermette and replace him with Vrbata - no matter what you're fancy stats tell you about "net negatives". The context is that you have no center depth, so you keep the aging veteran center or you expect to be pummeled for the next 82 games as other teams roast you down the middle of the ice.

Richardson went down, Hanzal missed a couple of games and the Yotes are the 2nd worst team in the league. What a shocker.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Out of curiosity... what forward would Arizona realistically add to Stone, if they were to receive Ceci + Dzingel?

My thoughts are Ottawa is going to lose Ceci to Vegas, but could use him trade bait for an upgrade to Dzingle (even though I like him), and Stone replaces Ceci this season and could potentially re-sign as a UFA.

Note: Obviously it has to be someone of real value because Ceci isn't just a throw in, and neither is Dzingel. IDK if Arizona has anyone they consider expendable that fits the bill, so that's why I'm asking.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Out of curiosity... what forward would Arizona realistically add to Stone, if they were to receive Ceci + Dzingel?

My thoughts are Ottawa is going to lose Ceci to Vegas, but could use him trade bait for an upgrade to Dzingle (even though I like him), and Stone replaces Ceci this season and could potentially re-sign as a UFA.

Note: Obviously it has to be someone of real value because Ceci isn't just a throw in, and neither is Dzingel. IDK if Arizona has anyone they consider expendable that fits the bill, so that's why I'm asking.

Maybe Martinook or Rieder. IMO, Ceci & Dzingel wouldn't be a great fit for the Yotes current needs. Rather just go after a pick for Stone and then use the pick/s in the off-season to find some veterans.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That's the problem with stats without context.

And that might be one of the sins the Chayka-Tippett crew are guilty of committing. They claimed that Vermette was a "net negative", even though his surface stats showed that he was streaky and overpaid, but not that bad - particularly in light of having Hanzal (regular injuries), Strome (beanpole w/0 NHL games) and Dvorak (0 NHL games) as you're center depth.

I never really believed that post-trade rationalization by fans/some media was the actual reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad