Value of: Michael Stone

PickUpPuck

Jun 2, 2015
I know the leafs are looking to make some depth acquisitions and obviously the blueline is of concern. A little while ago it was reported that Arizona might be open to moving Michael Stone, who I think would be an improvement over Polak and quite possibly Carrick and shouldn't be as expensive to acquire. Was wonder if Arizona fans or others who know more about him could tell me how good/bad he is and what you believe his approximate worth in a trade would be?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pretty much the only top 4 D rumored to be available. 1st round pick I'd imagine.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Pretty much the only top 4 D rumored to be available. 1st round pick I'd imagine.

Issues with that is he is an RFA, injury prone and having a terrible year. Not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade over Carrick and Polak if he got back to his former glory but there is a lot of things that concern me about a possible trade for him.

1.) How much is he looking for regarding a long term deal?
2.) Are his poor numbers, point wise, a reflection of injuries taking their toll or just ARZ being that bad as a team. Also, I have not seen his analytics numbers some maybe somebody can give me more insight to how good defensively he is.
3.) Toronto is in no position to be throwing around 1st

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Think alot of teams would send a 2nd+ but dont think many teams will offer a 1st.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Issues with that is he is an RFA, injury prone and having a terrible year. Not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade over Carrick and Polak if he got back to his former glory but there is a lot of things that concern me about a possible trade for him.

2.) Are his poor numbers, point wise, a reflection of injuries taking their toll or just ARZ being that bad as a team. Also, I have not seen his analytics numbers some maybe somebody can give me more insight to how good defensively he is.

We were having this discussion earlier on Leaf forum - see below

The rankings I'm putting are among Dmen only on each team.

Stone - 41.9 CF% worst, -6.9% CF% rel worst, 57.6 dZs% 3rd, 20:19 toi/60 3rd

Hunwick - 46.0 CF% worst, -6.3% CF% rel worst, 56.7 dZs% 1st, 18:06 toi/60 5th

So Stone is getting more minutes (2nd pair) and getting owned pretty well. Hunwick leads team in d zone starts, gets bottom pair minutes, and pretty well gets owned as well. Pretty comparable defensively, therefore not really the "upgrade" we need.

I doubt Stone bumps Carrick down in the lineup IMO.

Leafs pass.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Stone is a UFA. Late 2nd rounder is all you could hope for. No way is he getting a first.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Nah defensive iq has always been an issue with stone & toronto needs a 20 minute/game penalty killer type defenseman.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

So Stone is getting more minutes (2nd pair) and getting owned pretty well. Hunwick leads team in d zone starts, gets bottom pair minutes, and pretty well gets owned as well. Pretty comparable defensively, therefore not really the "upgrade" we need.

Leafs pass.

Thanks for posting this . I was thinking he might be a good fit for the Oil . He seems to be a down grade on everyone we have

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Stone is a UFA. Late 2nd rounder is all you could hope for. No way is he getting a first.

I love these statements. Cause you know right? Please tell me what inside info you have? Antoine Vermette commanded a 1st + not out of the realm of possibility that he gets a 1st.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

He's not an RFA.

He actually is not injury prone, his only injury was when he shredded his knee toward February of last year.

Here are two additional and better questions to ask:

1. Is his down year this year a result of his return from injury and does his ceiling climb higher for the final 20 games + playoffs or any future deals?
2. Does your team have a need for a good 3/4 or an excellent 5/6 depending on where he would slot in?

His offensive zone start % is 42.4%, the lowest of his career. He was a positive Corsi for player the past two years (amazing for an Arizona team void of offense).

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Conditional 1st + B prospect should be the ask. Conditions something like if the team makes the Conference Finals or Stone re-signs. Otherwise, reverts to a 2nd.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
He's not an RFA.

He actually is not injury prone, his only injury was when he shredded his knee toward February of last year.

Here are two additional and better questions to ask:

1. Is his down year this year a result of his return from injury and does his ceiling climb higher for the final 20 games + playoffs or any future deals?
2. Does your team have a need for a good 3/4 or an excellent 5/6 depending on where he would slot in?

His offensive zone start % is 42.4%, the lowest of his career. He was a positive Corsi for player the past two years (amazing for an Arizona team void of offense).

An excellent 5/6 dman will get you a 2nd rounder and a mid level prospect. Unless a top contender is in desperate need, they MIGHT offer a late first rounder. But I really can't see a first rounder being offered to ARZ for Michael Stone. First rounders just seem to be more and more hoarded lately.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015

Leafs pass.

What you fail to realize is the fact that the Arizona Coyotes are the worst team in the NHL at puck possession. Even if we had the 6 best defenders in the entire NHL they wouldn't have nearly as good of numbers as they do on the team they are currently on. We are defending way more then we are attacking and it will wear down even the best dmen eventually.

Once again comparing players based on numbers is not a good metric. Now with that being said, Stone will return somewhere around a late first or a 2nd rounder plus a prospect. Right handed top 4 RD are valued extremely high as we have seen in the recent past.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I love these statements. Cause you know right? Please tell me what inside info you have? Antoine Vermette commanded a 1st + not out of the realm of possibility that he gets a 1st.
40 point 2C that can be relied upon to win clutch face offs are worth a 1st +

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
knowing that he may be the only actual decent defenseman available at the TDL that is actually able to play hockey, I'd say that he'll get a first+ (or 2-2nd)

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
What you fail to realize is the fact that the Arizona Coyotes are the worst team in the NHL at puck possession. Even if we had the 6 best defenders in the entire NHL they wouldn't have nearly as good of numbers as they do on the team they are currently on. We are defending way more then we are attacking and it will wear down even the best dmen eventually.

Once again comparing players based on numbers is not a good metric. Now with that being said, Stone will return somewhere around a late first or a 2nd rounder plus a prospect. Right handed top 4 RD are valued extremely high as we have seen in the recent past.

Well his -6.9 C Rel shows thats he's the worst of the bunch this season.

Someone pays a 1st for Stone, they are going to have serious buyers remorse.

And Arizona is supposed to have a good group of defenders OEL is elite, Goligoski, Stone, Chychrun, Murphy. Hell of a lot better on paper than the Leafs D.

Guess the forwards aren't great, missing that No. 1 C hurts.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
40 point 2C that can be relied upon to win clutch face offs are worth a 1st +

my point was that the poster stated that it will not happen as a certainty, when there's no way to possibly know that. I understand the roles are different but there was a lot of people who suggested Vermette wouldn't command a 1st rounder either. just citing an example

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad