Jan 17, 2015
To Toronto:

Michael Stone @ 1m retained

To Calgary

TOR 2nd round pick (via SJ)

or

TOR 3rd round pick (via SJ)
TOR 4th round pick

Andersson is NHL ready making Stone expendable. His cap hit is a bit steep, hence the retention, but he's a #5 that can readily slot into the top 4 when called upon.

Is this value way off?

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
With UFA's like Cole, De Haan, Johnson, Green etc, I'd rather explore those options than pay a second rounder for a guy who is 'expendable' on a non playoff team.

The Flames paid a 3rd for Stone. And his value has dropped off significantly since. So I feel your valuation of Stone returning a 2nd is way off the mark, even with retention. Honestly, I'd maybe give up a 4th or 5th rounder for him, just to have an experienced 6/7 dman.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He is probably worth a 3rd tops. Calgary would be better off keeping him until they are sure what they have in Andersson/Kylington/Fox.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Why do this vs just going through free agency? Find a similar player to Stone isn't that difficult.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
To Toronto:

To Calgary

or

TOR 4th round pick

Andersson is NHL ready making Stone expendable. His cap hit is a bit steep, hence the retention, but he's a #5 that can readily slot into the top 4 when called upon.

Is this value way off?
Pretty easy pass here...just sign a UFA and keep the picks.

Reactions: NoName

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
To Toronto:

To Calgary

or

TOR 4th round pick

Is this value way off?
Um... why?

Toronto has boatloads of 5-6 dmen, and there are plenty more of a similar caliber on the market. Why would we give up multiple picks for more of what we already have or could get for free?

The Leafs need a 20min+ per night shutdown defensive horse on the right side. If you aren't offering that (and very few teams are as said players are valuable), then frankly, the Leafs honestly don't need anything from you.

Again, fans seem to be making the mistake of thinking that you can unload a player who is unwanted and get something valuable in return. Trades usually don't work that way; if a player has little value to his team, he likely has little value to other teams as well. You have to give up something valuable to get something valuable in return.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Stone for a 3rd is fair.
Listen, it isn't outrageous but it isn't what Toronto needs.

The need a top-4 (ideally a top-2) shutdown D (and that costs more then a 3rd round pick). They already have a lot of 3rd pairing guys.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Listen, it isn't outrageous but it isn't what Toronto needs.

The need a top-4 (ideally a top-2) shutdown D (and that costs more then a 3rd round pick). .

Yes, and I heard they want to do that without giving up a core player

Like GMs are lining up to help the Leafs....:thumbu:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Andersson is NHL ready making Stone expendable.

No, he doesnt. They only have 6 dmen now. There is room for Andersson on the roster

If anything, I bet BT is going to sign another depth dman.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017

Any GM would want that. Most know that realistically, that isn't what happens (unless a fool like Bergevin or Chiarelli is the GM you are trading with). The to get a truly elite RHD coming back you probably need to send out Nylander (on a reasonable contract extension). For a second pairing caliber guy (eg. Tanev, Myers, ect.), the Buds would build a package around a lesser player (not core but still having value) or a 1st round pick. You have to give up value to get value in return.

Again, the Leafs just don't need another 3rd pairing d-man; they already have several of them, so why would they give up picks for one more? It just isn't a trade that makes sense.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames haver never retained salary and never will. The ownership group is against paying players to play for other NHL teams.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

all GMs want fair deals for themselves and that's it. Just because fans on HF boards get you so upset that you only come here to shit on a fan base doesn't mean it had anything to do with the real world. You, as an individual, are so obsessed with the leafs its Amazing. Come out of the closet as a leafs fan already, you spend 99% of your time talking and thinking about them any ways.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Andersson is already better than Stone. They should trade Stone ASAP.
Just stop posting, please. Andersson looked decent in his few NHL games, but to claim he's already better than Stone, who has shown he can play top 4 minutes, is a big steaming pile of horse shit.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs main problem with RHD, is that every one of their RHD, played like a third pairing man at times, or simply are third pairing..... adding another third pair RHD, doesn't really do anything for us.

Reactions: NoName

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Just stop posting, please. Andersson looked decent in his few NHL games, but to claim he's already better than Stone, who has shown he can play top 4 minutes, is a big steaming pile of horse ****.
Nah, I’ll post whatever the f*** I want too. Yes Andersson could easily replace Stone, there’s something wrong with you if you think otherwise. If Stone could play top 4 minutes we never would’ve gotten Hamonic. Stone is a train wreck and is nothing more than an average bottom pairing D-man.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nah, I’ll post whatever the f*** I want too. Yes Andersson could easily replace Stone, there’s something wrong with you if you think otherwise. If Stone could play top 4 minutes we never would’ve gotten Hamonic. Stone is a train wreck and is nothing more than an average bottom pairing D-man.
Hamonic was acquired because we wanted the depth of having 5 guys capable of playing in the top 4. It was said from day 1. I'm so sick of no nothing posters like you promoting prospects to heights they have not yet achieved.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Hamonic was acquired because we wanted the depth of having 5 guys capable of playing in the top 4. It was said from day 1. I'm so sick of no nothing posters like you promoting prospects to heights they have not yet achieved.
Stone is NOT capable of top 4 minutes, everyone knows that except you apparently. I’m really sick of posters who think they know everything like you when they don’t know what they’re talking about half the time. Andersson is replacing Stone next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad