Confirmed with Link: Michael Rasmussen signs three year extension

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Sounds about right. 1.5m is nothing in 2021, and we have plenty of cap. Don't really see any way this looks bad.

This deal will take him until he's about 25 years old. Over those three years we should have a much clearer picture of Rasmussen as a player, and of the Red Wings as a team.

Also just congrats to the kid. 4.5mil on top of a rookie deal is set-for-life money with some reasonable financial prudence.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
How is it a steal?
He's one of the worst players in the NHL.
The only way it becomes a steal is if he improves.
That's a reasonable bet, sure.

But to call this a steal is crazy.
Meh, I'm not a big fan of the player but he did keep steadily progressing imo, he's starting to build that confidence, therefore I think he could end up being a mild steal at that price. I agree that it's certainly not a steal now, especially if he doesn't keep improving, but that low of a caphit for 3 years? I would have expected 2 or maybe 1 year, not 3. Very good contract, but we'll see!

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
How is it a steal?

Getting low cost and moderate term on a guy that the team expects to develop and play center in their top 9...that's how this becomes a steal.

Nobody should think it's a steal today, but they might forecast it to be a steal when it runs its course

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Decent 3rd line center, could maybe develop into a middle 6 player if he steps up his game. I like it. 3 years at 1.5 million is good for someone with a role like that.

Reactions: roxboro

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Getting low cost and moderate term on a guy that the team expects to develop and play center in their top 9...that's how this becomes a steal.

Nobody should think it's a steal today, but they might forecast it to be a steal when it runs its course

Right.
As of right now, it's not a steal.
If Rasmussen turns himself into a legit top 9er, this looks pretty good. So getting that third year does mean there's a chance this could be a steal.
But that's still just a chance.
If Rasmussen develops into a legit NHLer, sure.
But that's very much still a question.
For lots of reasons.
* 5 on 5 production makes fourth liners look good.
* Worst CF% out of all 21 forwards who played for Detroit.
* 44.4 percent on faceoffs
* Zero PP goals.

He's still only 22. But truthfully, he's one of the statistically worst players in the NHL

Reactions: heyfolks

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Decent 3rd line center, could maybe develop into a middle 6 player if he steps up his game. I like it. 3 years at 1.5 million is good for someone with a role like that.

He's not a decent third line center.
He's an awful third line center.

Decent 3rd line C means you'd ranking him about 15-24th among 3rd line Cs in the NHL.
Do you think that's true?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Here comes another thread where a select few negative nancy's make a big deal about a $1.46mil contract for a young player who has shown promise. Another thread to ignore.:popcorn:
There is just one person being negative about every single thing. That same person would jump for joy if we signed Athanasiou to a 7x7 contract. So..

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
How is it a steal?

He was one of the best red wings at the end of the season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Value-wise, even if he's at 20-25 points a season during his contract, it's a great deal. If that's his max potential, then I am disappointed in that regard.

This is my feeling. I hope he can become a 20-20 net front guy with PP time who is also engaged defensively. I liked how he looked, even if the offence was low last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad