Michael Hutchinson

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The closer we get to a 50/50 split between Hutch and Pavs the better they'll do and the more success we'll have as a team imo.

I also noticed Maurice hasn't been dropping the "Pavs is our #1 starter" line anymore when asked about goalies. So I'm optimistic our season may play out like that.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The closer we get to a 50/50 split between Hutch and Pavs the better they'll do and the more success we'll have as a team imo.

I also noticed Maurice hasn't been dropping the "Pavs is our #1 starter" line anymore when asked about goalies. So I'm optimistic our season may play out like that.

Yup. That is the key to the Jets success in goal. Have Pavelec and Hutch play as a tandem, like they did from December until March last year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup. That is the key to the Jets success in goal. Have Pavelec and Hutch play as a tandem, like they did from December until March last year.

It was until Hutch really started ******* the bed by early March, and then it was Pavs going 9-2-1 with 4 shutouts down the stretch that carried the Jets to the playoffs. I know it isn't PC around here to give any Pavs credit and I definitely have my anti-Pavs moments as well. But his goaltending down the stretch was as important as anything getting us into the playoffs.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
It was until Hutch really started ******* the bed by early March, and then it was Pavs going 9-2-1 with 4 shutouts down the stretch that carried the Jets to the playoffs. I know it isn't PC around here to give any Pavs credit and I definitely have my anti-Pavs moments as well. But his goaltending down the stretch was as important as anything getting us into the playoffs.

Absolutely Pavs deserves the credit for carrying us through (that and Thorburn's game winner :amazed: ).

The problem with Pavs remains that he has months like that regularly. Then he has months unlike that. Garret will tell us most goalies are like this, sometimes good, sometimes not so good. So we need to rely on the full season picture to tell us what happened. Based on last year's full season, Pavs was a good goalie, playing above league average. Historically however he's not above league average. What comes for this season remains to be seen. What does not remain to be seen is how much heat Pavs will take this year regardless of whether he's league average or not. The man is our lightning rod.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

Everyone here should have full confidence in the coaching staff after the way the goalies were handled last year. When one was hot, he played. When one was struggling, he sat. That's all we should hope for and ask for. If Hutch wants to take ice time away from Pavs, he's got to earn it just like he did for stretches last year.

Competition breeds success. Unfortunately for everyone Hutch has looked below average (to be polite) since the all star break last year, including in this preseason, so he's got some work to do if he wants to earn ice time. Aside from a two month stretch, he still hasn't shown he can be a sustainable NHL goaltender. Hopefully this season he performs like his NHL career is on the line because frankly, it probably is.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Competition breeds success. Unfortunately for everyone Hutch has looked below average (to be polite) since the all star break last year, including in this preseason, so he's got some work to do if he wants to earn ice time. Aside from a two month stretch, he still hasn't shown he can be a sustainable NHL goaltender. Hopefully this season he performs like his NHL career is on the line because frankly, it probably is.

To me, it doesn't look fixable. I hate to say that and hope I'm wrong, though.

Is it just that he had some sort of unusual style and it took other teams a few months to build a book on him?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Is it just that he had some sort of unusual style and it took other teams a few months to build a book on him?

Lucky for us, they lost the Pavelec book just as they put the final chapter in the Hutch book! Or maybe you can only have one goalie book per team? :sarcasm:

I think Pavelec's fundamental flaws in puck tracking, positioning, rebound control and loss of focus are much less fixable than Hutchinson's issues.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Pavelec absolutely deserves credit, that was an amazing tear, but it doesn't take away from the wins hutch also earned. Without them pavelec's tear would have been completely meaningless.

Overall we needed them both and Pavs came out the bigger tender at the end. I still don't think it matters and my original point still stands, we're going to need them both.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I often ask myself: what if Hutch went on a tear at the end of the season, instead of the start? Discount the fact that he probably wouldn't have gotten the opportunity, as you earn your starts based on your performance, but what if his streak was at the end, like Pav? Would people feel differently about his performance?

I ask, because he put up very close to league average numbers in the end, and his win %'age was really quite good (heck, almost Fucale-like :sarcasm:). If it weren't for the COMBINATION of the two goalies, we would not have been in the playoffs last year.

I don't buy that they've got a book on him - I think he had some poor performances, and most likely needs to work on a few fundamentals to fix some of the issues, just like Pav did at the beginning of the year. I agree with Gm0ney that Hutch being able to address these issues is probably a less difficult task than the really fundamental problems that Pav has been working to address. I will also state that I do think that Pav DID improve on some of his fundamentals, to his credit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think so. He choked a bit after the ASB. He got over it by the end of the season but by then Pav had got hot. Look at his last TC start. 1 goal, maybe a little weak maybe not on about 35-39 shots. Don't remember the exact number. Did they lose the book over the summer?

Clutchinson will probablybe back this year. Not ready to go out on a limb and say for certain but I am not really very worried.

Derfel*

2 games in - we're seeing "Clutch" Hutchinson, not post-ASB Hutch.

It's so awesome.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
We're also seeing good Pavelec.

It's a good feeling.

Yup.

Keep a close rotation - something like HPHPPHPHPP - until one of them starts ******** the bed, then go 3-1-3-1. Or, in case of a Pavelec injury, go HCHHCCHCCCHCCCCCC. Or, in case of a Hutchinson injury, go PCPPCCPCCCPCCCCCC. C is Connor H. You'll see why.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Yup.

Keep a close rotation - something like HPHPPHPHPP - until one of them starts ******** the bed, then go 3-1-3-1. Or, in case of a Pavelec injury, go HCHHCCHCCCHCCCCCC. Or, in case of a Hutchinson injury, go PCPPCCPCCCPCCCCCC. C is Connor H. You'll see why.

I'd like to go with Hutchinson and Hellebuyck rotation going HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Derfel*

Yup.

Can you pronounce those lineups? Might be fun.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Yup.

Hmm...
So we have a PCP rotation, and almost a THC rotation.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup.

Hah! :laugh: I wondered why you were bringing in Comrie ahead of Helle.:laugh:

I think that if Pav gets hurt we should just gp HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.:laugh:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I've said it before, but remains entirely possible that Hutch could become a legit #1 goalie.

He has stopped a lot of pucks at every stage - including the NHL - and while it is just a snapshot in time, Hutch's career .919 would be elite if it proved sustainable.

Well, possible is a big word so I guess you're right.

But he was horribad post ASB last year,

The Jets goaltending last year reminded me of that Seinfeld episode. One friend up, one friend down. "Jerry can only marvel at how things always even out for him: first, Elaine was up and George was down; now, George is up and Elaine is down, but Jerry's life is exactly the same."

When Pav was bad, Hutch was good. When Hutch turned bad, Pav was good.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've said it before, but remains entirely possible that Hutch could become a legit #1 goalie.

He has stopped a lot of pucks at every stage - including the NHL - and while it is just a snapshot in time, Hutch's career .919 would be elite if it proved sustainable. http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...comp=gt&c4val=&threshhold=5&order_by=save_pct

Yea that was a heck of a performance last night. He does seem to be the odd man out lots of times as far as buzz goes. Pavs for better or worse sucks up allot of attention then we have Helly who is the star on the rise. Hutch quietly sits in the pocket behind them but when he is on his game he looks really good. Big, calm, and very efficient movement.

Not sure the Jet fan base is wired for dealing with talent abundance in the blue paint. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad