Michael Grabner

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
Grabner should be used in more offensive situations but Cappy does not use jedi mind tricks when Grabner is on a breakaway...

Its easey to blame Cappy but Grabs is absolute garbage on breakaways...
Breakaways are a bonus. He scored one of his five goals on a breakaway, not all of them. I don't know what the obsession with his breakaway problems are, but he can score in many ways because of his shot. He needs to be set up though by his linemates which is exactly what is happening at the Olympics.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Breakaways are a bonus. He scored one of his five goals on a breakaway, not all of them. I don't know what the obsession with his breakaway problems are, but he can score in many ways because of his shot. He needs to be set up though by his linemates which is exactly what is happening at the Olympics.

That shot he has showed(especially on his 1st goal in the first game) he has not showed here...

His shot has been below average here... Mayby playing with Tavares and Okposo would give him the time and space he needs to get his shot off...

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
That shot he has showed(especially on his 1st goal in the first game) he has not showed here...

His shot has been below average here... Mayby playing with Tavares and Okposo would give him the time and space he needs to get his shot off...
his shot has always been good, tends to lift it a little too high (like he did vs canada).

His confidence should be back now. Perhaps he can string together a few nhl goals and get up to hid career low of 20 goals.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time

Classic "what have you done for me lately" post. Maybe you should look at his whole stay with the Islanders, not just this admittedly below average season. Look at his goals from last year or even his 20 goal season. He has never been great on breakaways but had cashed in in many different ways.

I am annoyed that people are selling him short. Grabner has been one of the better forwards on this NYI team for the last three years. He played excellent at the start of this season with increased responsibility, got suspended and found himself in a diminished role ever since.

viggen

Mar 22, 2013
Carinthia

you mean like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeciZJrBP6Q

I am pretty sure he made a couple of those in the last few years here..., people tend to forget...

Snapshotgoal

Feb 17, 2013
Tampa FL
Classic "what have you done for me lately" post. Maybe you should look at his whole stay with the Islanders, not just this admittedly below average season. Look at his goals from last year or even his 20 goal season. He has never been great on breakaways but had cashed in in many different ways.

I am annoyed that people are selling him short. Grabner has been one of the better forwards on this NYI team for the last three years. He played excellent at the start of this season with increased responsibility, got suspended and found himself in a diminished role ever since.

Thank you for this post!

Grabner comes to play hard every game. It also annoys me that people don't see how important he is on our team. You're also so correct on how he's been one of our top forwards for the last three years. Some fans just don't get it.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
He's still got the best {only?} open ice hit of the year for the team.....it was a beaut!

I love his work ethic and while I don't think he's quite the guy for line 1, bring in Strome to replace Vanek and I think he and Strome play a complimentary game.....and Strome might have a speedy winger to shield him from pressure.

Yes, I think Lee is a better fit with KO and JT......just no Bailey, PLEASE! {Bailey should be on the fourth line until he EARNS a promotion, and if Bailey gets his ***t together, I can envision he and Grabner with Strome}

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
He's still got the best {only?} open ice hit of the year for the team.....it was a beaut!

I love his work ethic and while I don't think he's quite the guy for line 1, bring in Strome to replace Vanek and I think he and Strome play a complimentary game.....and Strome might have a speedy winger to shield him from pressure.

Yes, I think Lee is a better fit with KO and JT......just no Bailey, PLEASE! {Bailey should be on the fourth line until he EARNS a promotion, and if Bailey gets his ***t together, I can envision he and Grabner with Strome}

By that logic, what has Anders Lee done to EARN going straight from the AHL to our top line?

I really don't see what we have to lose by playing Bailey on that top line for the last 20 games or so. It seems like a no-lose situation, regardless of how you or anyone feels about him.

Scenario 1: He plays well, which wouldn't be a surprise. He's always had chemistry with KO; he's always played his best hockey on LW; and he meshed well with Tavares during their brief playoff stint together.

*If this happens, you can do one of two things. Either keep him, and decide to go with this line next year - or move him, since success on that line should up his value enough to get something of interest, instead of moving him purely as a cap dump.

Scenario 2: He doesn't play well, and it confirms that he indeed has no future on this team. You are essentially in the same position you are now, with a kid making $3M+ who holds little trade value, if any.

Either way, it gives you answers and/or options. Considering the games don't count much anymore, I don't see why this would be a bad idea.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Bottom line...Grabs can play. Star scorer, no. He is a valuable tweener 2nd-3rd line.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
All I did was say he hasn't scored on breakaways and shown his shot and it has turned into the congress of vienna..

I love Grabs..Hes great on the PK and can rely fly...He just has not had his scoring touch and its frustrating that he gets a ridiculous amount of Breakaways and does not Bury a respectable amount...

Mayby its confidence...What ever it is I hope he Brings it back with him because hes on one of the weakest teams in the tournament and hes scoring so being on the Isles cant be usd as an excuse...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
By that logic, what has Anders Lee done to EARN going straight from the AHL to our top line?

I really don't see what we have to lose by playing Bailey on that top line for the last 20 games or so. It seems like a no-lose situation, regardless of how you or anyone feels about him.

Scenario 1: He plays well, which wouldn't be a surprise. He's always had chemistry with KO; he's always played his best hockey on LW; and he meshed well with Tavares during their brief playoff stint together.

*If this happens, you can do one of two things. Either keep him, and decide to go with this line next year - or move him, since success on that line should up his value enough to get something of interest, instead of moving him purely as a cap dump.

Scenario 2: He doesn't play well, and it confirms that he indeed has no future on this team. You are essentially in the same position you are now, with a kid making $3M+ who holds little trade value, if any.

Either way, it gives you answers and/or options. Considering the games don't count much anymore, I don't see why this would be a bad idea.

They just don't understand. No amount of talking to them will make them see it unfortunately.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site

Even with ****** line combos, Bailey has been better of late. It's a no-lose situation if you put him on JT's left side. This season is lost. This is when you try things out. Earn it? Like Bailey earned a spot with Regin and Nielsen in the ********* line we've created all year? What the **** did Regin do to deserve that spot other than being Danish?

Grabner, Strome and Bailey together is a rather poor line combo. Why do we keep building the smallest possible lines which force skill players to the front of the net? Not that the line wouldn't have some degree of talent and overall speed, but there's a reason why Grabner-Nielsen-Bailey wasn't anything but a counterattack line. It's poorly imagined. Bailey-Nielsen-KO still wasn't great against bigger lineups, but at least KO could play along the boards. However, even that line had a ton of its offense off of the rush. Bailey became the presence in front of the net on the Bailey-Nielsen-KO line. He had more goals than assists on that line. It's not exactly using the guy to his strength, but it does show that he can perform with more talented player regardless of line makeup.

Since our top line is always going to be a puck possession line with X-JT-KO hopefully a mainstay, it makes sense to build a secondary scoring line that has some chance of keeping possession. A lot of secondary offense in this league comes from teams putting forth shift-to-shift sustained offense. Defenders get tired; forwards get tired; mistakes happen; lesser players score. If we build a line that can retain possession and rush the puck, even better. Believe it or not, we have the overall personnel. (They're just raw.)

I'd just like to see the team build a line that actually considers player strengths.

Bailey-JT-KO = This line can be effective. It's not like Vanek was shooting his little heart out. I can't count the number of times we had a former 40-goalscorer (Vanek) think pass first with JT and KO.

Grabner-Nelson-Strome = Stacks the remaining talent; gives us size down the middle; has straightaway speed and some possession skills.

Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck = Almost a checking line, can play a possession game. Temporary until Nielsen gets back or a trade is made.

Boulton-Callup/Addition-McDonald = The 4th line = An obvious 4th line. Without adding NHLers, you end up with a 4th line that should see 8 minutes/night max. Sadly, Regin would've been serviceable in this capacity. Assuming we don't add a single player, this is where the crap falls or prospects trickle up. Personally, I'm hoping for a warm body coming back when we trade Vanek and AMac. I was all for Stoll because of the size and faceoff value. (Not asking for anything else, and some dollars may need to come back our way in a trade.)

The above isn't ideal, but the top-9 makes more sense than anything I've seen them put forth all year. If a guy like Lee who has skill and size makes his way up to JT's line, then Bailey is also a solid fit for Nelson's left side. In that case, Grabner then falls to the 3rd line and all of a sudden the team has depth. Pop an actual checking center with size on the 3rd line, and then you almost have a team with players starting to slot above their abilities for a change.

I have no idea why this isn't the general line of thought around here. Maybe it is, who knows? Perhaps, a poll is in order? However, I don't want to jinx it. I'm going to remain quiet until we're back from the break and see what the coach actually does. Needless to say, I have zero faith in his ability to match player attributes to line combos. I've pretty much said this exact same thing that Blinkman mentions above.

You put Bailey on the top line because you paid him to be a top-6 forward and have consistently put him with small, playmaking, or offensively deficient forwards since last season.

Yeeeeah, I like to type early in the morning...

:),
Mitch

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Also, Grabner is absolutely less appreciated than he should be. His speed is disruptive - he's quick on the puck and quick to get back on the play. He's been much stronger on his skates going back to last season. He never dogs it out there. He scares the **** out of opposing d-men on the point. He's shown he can actually level a solid hit using his speed and recently acquired stability. Plus, he scores at ES. He flubs plenty of breakaways, but he still scores at ES (and does so in a variety of ways.)

:),
Mitch

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Couple of points:

Regards to Bailey

Completely agree with Mitchy and Blinkman <--(sounds like a cartoon show title). I am far from being a fan of Bailey's... but I do feel that given a consistent opportunity (20 games in a lost season) with talented veterans he will succeed.

Fact 1 - Best success Bailey has had in the NHL was when paired on a line with Okposo
Fact 2 - No player consistently playing with Tavares has failed to produce points

Regards to Grabner

Just an observation… during his 30 goal year I always remember him scoring a lot of Garbage goals. There were the breakaways of course… but even then he had a poor conversion rate. But I feel a good portion of his goals came from using his speed to swoop in on rebounds. Basically he would be several feet away from a rebound then in a blink of an eye he was there.

Here would be my line up for the next 20 games:

Bailey-Tavares-Okposo
X/Strome/Nelson <-some form of a kid line given consistent minutes including 2nd unit PP. X is Lee or another player acquired during the deadline.
Grabner-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald/Boulton

Last edited:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I see yhe Bailey war party has made it over here...

dont be surprised to see grabner on JTs left wing

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

I don't know. Playing with JT he will be expected to produce. If he puts up less than 1ppg he will be written off as being carried by JT. E.g., Barry Melrose said that Vanek's stock has actually gone down this year since playing with JT since anyone playing with JT is expected to put up astronomical numbers (not that Barry Melrose is the be-all end-all, but you get my point).

Back on topic-- Grabner is fast.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

Unfortunately, as it goes against my beliefs, Lee has done NOTHING. But nothing good and nothing bad. Try a shift, two if it's plausible, then three. Bailey? He's done nothing to merit it. If we get a winger from Vanek's departure, move him in. Oter options better than Bailey? Clutterbuck. Grabner may work.....as the roving sniper to pass to. Strome if he an hack it on special teams with JT and KO. Martin is intriguing as a postseason option to protect JT if we were, like it'll ever happen, to make the playoffs and face a Philly or NYR or Pitt.

Bailey's stock has dropped that much that I'd prefer even Martin or CMac.

But as you put it....games mean nothing....sure. Try Bailey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad