Michael Grabner

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Grabner is still an asset unlike Bailey. I see Grabner as more of a 3rd liner who can jump up and play on the 2nd line if injuries occur.

Grabner is a decent penalty killer and could/should chip in 20 goals and 35 points a year from the 3rd line. Im not sure why Capuano/Weight have never given Grabner a chance on the 2nd PP unit when deadweight like Cmac and Clutterbuck have had ice time.

If Grabner was counted on to be on the 3rd line from opening night our top 9 would be in good shape. Right now we have 3 top 6 players. 2/3 3rd liners and 6-8 4th liners/AHL guys

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Grabner is still an asset unlike Bailey. I see Grabner as more of a 3rd liner who can jump up and play on the 2nd line if injuries occur.

Grabner is a decent penalty killer and could/should chip in 20 goals and 35 points a year from the 3rd line. Im not sure why Capuano/Weight have never given Grabner a chance on the 2nd PP unit when deadweight like Cmac and Clutterbuck have had ice time.

If Grabner was counted on to be on the 3rd line from opening night our top 9 would be in good shape. Right now we have 3 top 6 players. 2/3 3rd liners and 6-8 4th liners/AHL guys
Agree with this except Grabner is much more than a decent penalty killer, he is an excellent penalty killer who aside from being obvious by breaking up rushes, closing passing lanes, make the opposing power play tentative and less assertive because of breakaway threat. Calling him decent is understating what we are seeing.
As for scoring potential, Grabner's mind is his worst enemy. He thinks too much and doesn't commit. He has a good shot, he just has to choose deke or shot and go with it. probably better off shooting most times.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Grabner should score more than 20 goals each and every year. I think with him its a combination of poor luck, poor hands, lack of confidence in prime scoring situations (how can someone have confidence with his track record), thinking too much, and not getting a ton of opportunities (he's essentially been a third liner, even his 30 goal season).

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Grabner is what he is. I don't think he's got the hockey sense to be any better than he is right now. He's going to have ups and downs, he's a streaky player, but he's not going to be the consistent, effective, dynamic scorer we want, not the 34 goal guy from his first year. At least I don't think so.

I still think he's a valuable asset and player but in a limited role. I don't see him as a top six player because he seems so difficult to play with. You rarely see Grabner (regardless of who he's out there with) maintain offensive zone pressure, get close to the net for a rebound/deflection or a crease-battle, he doesn't play any kind of puck possession or cycle game - he's basicall an off-the-rush player using his incredible speed to generate scoring chances. And that will always be his unique strength/differentiator as a player.

I don't think he's worth much on the open market. He's valuable in a limited way and I'd like the Islanders to keep him around. But I don't think it's coaching or linemates or ice-time - it's just his hockey sense, that's his limiting factor as a player. But, those wheels, wow.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Grabner is what he is. I don't think he's got the hockey sense to be any better than he is right now. He's going to have ups and downs, he's a streaky player, but he's not going to be the consistent, effective, dynamic scorer we want, not the 34 goal guy from his first year. At least I don't think so.

I still think he's a valuable asset and player but in a limited role. I don't see him as a top six player because he seems so difficult to play with. You rarely see Grabner (regardless of who he's out there with) maintain offensive zone pressure, get close to the net for a rebound/deflection or a crease-battle, he doesn't play any kind of puck possession or cycle game - he's basicall an off-the-rush player using his incredible speed to generate scoring chances. And that will always be his unique strength/differentiator as a player.

I don't think he's worth much on the open market. He's valuable in a limited way and I'd like the Islanders to keep him around. But I don't think it's coaching or linemates or ice-time - it's just his hockey sense, that's his limiting factor as a player. But, those wheels, wow.

Agreed. That 30+ goal season was an anomaly, it is very unlikely that will happen again. 3rd line player, very good PK player who will chip in with 12-16 goals a year. If he can maintain the occasional physical play, he could be a successful player in this role and if he ever learned how to convert a breakaway, that would be a bonus.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I miss him so much :( Still hate Gillis for letting him go (especially for a player we eventually bought out). Also can't believe Florida waived him.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

Perfect assessment.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
As for scoring potential, Grabner's mind is his worst enemy. He thinks too much and doesn't commit. He has a good shot, he just has to choose deke or shot and go with it. probably better off shooting most times.

I floated the shoot over deke question in a GDT a while ago. I think taking a shot from just below the hash marks might be a better option for him with his speed. He ties himself in knots a lot going for the deke in close.

Anyone else have a thought on this?

MaryChristine*

I floated the shoot over deke question in a GDT a while ago. I think taking a shot from just below the hash marks might be a better option for him with his speed. He ties himself in knots a lot going for the deke in close.

He misses he net by a mile :help:
I love Grabner though great on the pk.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
One positive is we have seen him step up in the playoffs. Good to have depth players with that ability.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

He's tried both, and he's just not a real good finisher (despite having scored 30 goals before).

I don't think anyone on here, the Islanders roster, or his mother and father ever expect him to score on one of his breakaways.

Baeron

Jun 28, 2011
And now a hatty. He uses all his goals on Finland and will have nothing left for us.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
Grabner's line played well. If the team had D and Goaltending...wait doesn't that sound familiar!
Starkbaum had to face 52 shots and he has saved 44 of them. I don't call that "weak goaltending".

The teams overall defenseplay was emberassing on the other hand. Especially the defensemen look terrible

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
The amount of shots is irrelevant. Look at the goals. If you want to have a good results against teams like Finland you absolutely need to have your goalie make a hard save every now and again. Starkbaum was adequat which on this level of play is simply not good enough. Suhonen called him out after the first period and rightly so. Several shots from the blue line got through all the way, one goal from behind the goal line...coupled with a weak D thats a death sentence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad