Rumor: Michael Frolik has Habs listed as top destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
We need a good RW. I think we need a first line RW. Frolik's a 2nd line RW. It can't be worse than PAP. It might not be the best but it will bring better balance and may cost us less.

Frolik first came to mind when we waived PAP. Was convinced we weren't into Beleskey. We'll see if we can work a deal out with Frolik.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Frolik put up solid numbers with Florida, went to the Hawks and was an offensive black hole numbers wise for 3 years, but has come back the last 2 seasons with the Jets.How was he used by the Hawks, seems like a useage issue ?

HabsDieHard*

Would be a solid addition as long as the term wasn't too long.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
An upgrade for sure, but he ties us up for 4-5 years and we end up with a similar situation to Parenteau when he doesn't fit anymore. Signing UFAs for 4M + Usually doesn't end up well. I can make a list of a thousand names that didn't pan out as expected, and a lot of them are from the Habs... Didn't we learn our lesson with the Gionta, Briere, Cammaleri fiasco?

Frolik is nothing like the PAP, Gionta or Brière situations though. He's a relatively young guy that plays a responsible game, but he has the skills to put up a decent amount of points on top of it. Big frame, great skater, good on both ends of the ice... Seems like a perfect fit to me. The Brière signing was a failure the day it happened.

Wouldn't qualify the Cammalerie signing as a fiasco either. Gauthier was a fiasco, not the player.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Frolik put up solid numbers with Florida, went to the Hawks and was an offensive black hole numbers wise for 3 years, but has come back the last 2 seasons with the Jets.How was he used by the Hawks, seems like a useage issue ?

He was a third liner with the hawks and playing behind all their superstars over there. in Winnipeg he played with Ladd on the top line for most of the year.

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
They better be. He makes the most logical sense..
Which is why we end up with Beleskey..:laugh:

This will pain some to hear, but I think the reason why we are hearing the rumors linking the Habs to the likes of Frolik and Beleskey is because of system fit. It was reported the Habs tried trading for Beleskey before. They hoped DSP could bring what Beleskey brought. So far DSP hasn't proven he can solidify a 3rd line role. On the other hand, Frolik plays a solid 200 ft. game and is a versatile forward. He is in his prime and could fill a top 6 or top 9 role quite readily.

My only gripe with these players is that they don't really replace anything we don't already have. We don't need more 15-20 goal scorers. (Albeit you can argue we need to replace the production that was forecasted for Parenteau). There are perhaps too many bottom six options for the Habs when accounting for the likes of Bournival, Thomas, DLR, DSP, Flynn, Weise and Prust. I am not seeing the logic in the supposed pursuit of Beleskey unless some of these guys are moved, or not in the plans for the big club.

I having nothing to substantiate this, but I have a feeling Prust will be traded this summer. I think the brass was turned off by his antics, and his play clearly regressed. He is loved in that locker room though....

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I wonder if he would take 4 mil at 6 years? Give good term at an affordable cap hit. Would be a trade-able asset if they wanted to move him down the road. Give him a limited NTC.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
You guys are bat**** crazy. Stop going for the overpaid UFA. This guy will want north of 5. North of 4 is too much for him. It's the exact reason why were not winning anything.

LA, Boston, Chicago and all the cup winning teams have no addition like that. Just don't do it.

I'm with you on this. Giving 5x5 or more to Frolik would be a mistake. He's not a bad player but he's not exactly a true top 6 forward either. He's been averaging 40-45ish pts most of his career. He's more like a premium 3rd liner if you ask me. He's pretty versatile though so i'll give him that.

What the Habs need imho is a 60pts + legit top 6 forward. I know i know these guys don't grow on trees and there are none on the market this year but if MB want to invest some of that precious cap hit he should go big via trade or stay the current course and wait for a better opportunity. Locking guys like Beleskey and Frolik long term is quite risky if you bet on them for being a solution to your scoring woes. At 3.5 per for 2-3 years ? Yeah ok. At anything more than 3 years at 4 , 5m or more ? No thanks

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I still think we need to make a decision on Gilbert/Emelin
or obviously move Desharnais.

I'm a little confused by the Tinordi/Pateryn situations:

Do both have to clear waivers if/when they get sent to AHL?
Is this the case for the full season? What stipulations are there?

IF they do, we obviously need to trade out D (which I think is obvious regardless)

Personally, I would prefer to keep Gilbert over Emelin (strictly for cap reasons/Emelin has more trade value) and trade Emelin ala Gorges.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This will pain some to hear, but I think the reason why we are hearing the rumors linking the Habs to the likes of Frolik and Beleskey is because of system fit. It was reported the Habs tried trading for Beleskey before. They hoped DSP could bring what Beleskey brought. So far DSP hasn't proven he can solidify a 3rd line role. On the other hand, Frolik plays a solid 200 ft. game and is a versatile forward. He is in his prime and could fill a top 6 or top 9 role quite readily.

My only gripe with these players is that they don't really replace anything we don't already have. We don't need more 15-20 goal scorers. (Albeit you can argue we need to replace the production that was forecasted for Parenteau). There are perhaps too many bottom six options for the Habs when accounting for the likes of Bournival, Thomas, DLR, DSP, Flynn, Weise and Prust. I am not seeing the logic in the supposed pursuit of Beleskey unless some of these guys are moved, or not in the plans for the big club.

I having nothing to substantiate this, but I have a feeling Prust will be traded this summer. I think the brass was turned off by his antics, and his play clearly regressed. He is loved in that locker room though....

I know we want the 30 goal scorer.. but that guy isn't out there.. the price on Kessel is too high and Toronto won't trade him to us.

Frolik is a good addition because he's defensively sound and would be a great RW option with Patches-Chucky since it would insulate Chucky greatly.. then you don't have to worry about him picking up the defensive end since you have two elite wingers defensively.. That's a huge plus.

mtlhockeyfan

Dec 30, 2009
We need a good RW. I think we need a first line RW. Frolik's a 2nd line RW. It can't be worse than PAP. It might not be the best but it will bring better balance and may cost us less.

Frolik first came to mind when we waived PAP. Was convinced we weren't into Beleskey. We'll see if we can work a deal out with Frolik.

I see Frolik on the first as well, and give a chance to Scherbak on the 2nd line RW maybe?

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I'm a little confused by the Tinordi/Pateryn situations:

Do both have to clear waivers if/when they get sent to AHL?
Is this the case for the full season? What stipulations are there?

IF they do, we obviously need to trade out D (which I think is obvious regardless)

Personally, I would prefer to keep Gilbert over Emelin (strictly for cap reasons/Emelin has more trade value) and trade Emelin ala Gorges.

Both would have to clear waivers to be sent to St John's.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would be interested for sure but would think we would need to move someone out. Gilbert, Prust, etc... someone would have to go as you don't want to go into the season without any wiggle room. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Frolik's OK. Beleskey's OK. Both are upgrades on what we have but neither are really what we need. And both likely to be overpaid. Hard to get enthusiastic about the headliners of this UFA crop.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Frolik would be a great signing, but you won't get him for less than $5 mil. The Jets already offered him $4.5 and he turned it down. If he doesn't want to play with two of his best friends in Winnipeg for $4.5, I'm thinking he's looking for a big pay day.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Frolik's OK. Beleskey's OK. Both are upgrades on what we have but neither are really what we need. And both likely to be overpaid. Hard to get enthusiastic about the headliners of this UFA crop.

Both will be overpaid and both are fine players but at least with Frolik he's shown his quality over more than one season. Beleskey could very well be a one season wonder and potential buyout candidate in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad