Rumor: Michael Frolik has Habs listed as top destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Has anyone actually looked at cap space. Habs have 7.5 million. That's enough to sign Galchenyuk , Flynn and bring a rookie in and that would leave some deadline wiggle room. Summer acquisitions are done

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Has anyone actually looked at cap space. Habs have 7.5 million. That's enough to sign Galchenyuk , Flynn and bring a rookie in and that would leave some deadline wiggle room. Summer acquisitions are done

Id still wouldnt mind trading a guy like Gilbert to make room for tinordi

Dagenais Bar Down*

If you're looking for one player to help the Habs enough by himself then you'll probably end your search empty handed.
7% of the cap is a big deal? Don't you think that the other 93% is more important to look at? I mean, Frolik would be overpaid by what? 1M? Is that really the difference between good deal and handcuffing yourself?

I am not looking for the magical saviour so much as I am simply against signing anyone from the top tier of this UFA class. There are some interesting teams around the league that could be on the verge of rebuilds/retools, which is why I would prefer to make a splash via trade.

7% is a big deal in this instance because I don’t think we would ever see Frolik put up numbers. I cut out the rest of your post for brevity and because I generally agree with it (minus the $5 million being worth it). Out of curiosity, what would be your maximum AAV for Frolik?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I am not looking for the magical saviour so much as I am simply against signing anyone from the top tier of this UFA class. There are some interesting teams around the league that could be on the verge of rebuilds/retools, which is why I would prefer to make a splash via trade.

7% is a big deal in this instance because I don’t think we would ever see Frolik put up numbers. I cut out the rest of your post for brevity and because I generally agree with it (minus the $5 million being worth it). Out of curiosity, what would be your maximum AAV for Frolik?

$4.5M with a 5 or 6 year term. He's no superstar, but a very solid player at both ends. We give up no assets.

A shorter term would be $5M+ and that's close to Sharp, who I'd actually rather have, not withstanding the additional loss of assets.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I wouldn't trust Therrien with Frolik. He loves Weise and sure wants to love DSP but even he saw DSP was out of shape. He will then glue Frolik to Eller and give all the defensive responsibilities and none of the offensive ones to them.

Maybe he would put him with Eller, but those two guys are talented enough to still make something happen offensively. It's not like sticking him with a waiver player in Bourque or a completely defensive guy like DLR.
Eller-Frolik would still be able to get the best out of their opposition and they're skilled enough to produce offensive numbers. Heck, Eller still managed 15G this year playing with bottom players all season, in a completely defensive role.
Give him Frolik, I'm sure he could add more assists to his game and set himself up closer to 40pts.

Therrien might be a problem but that's an entire different issue. You could argue that we can bring in one of the best scorers in the NHL like Vanek, and Therrien will still mess it up. In no way is this a reason to stay away from that player though.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Frolik is a solid player. He has shown he can put decent numbers. He has size and he is solid defensively. He is just entering his prime and he has played for a championship team before. He is the best player available on the current market. What more can you ask?

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Frolik is a solid player. He has shown he can put decent numbers. He has size and he is solid defensively. He is just entering his prime and he has played for a championship team before. He is the best player available on the current market. What more can you ask?

Um more cap space? DD gone? Resolution to the Greek crisis. There's a lot I can ask for. I won't get any though

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Um more cap space? DD gone? Resolution to the Greek crisis. There's a lot I can ask for. I won't get any though

Cap space??
The habs have the most money committed to their defense from all nhl teams. They will have to move body at defense and they have to improve the offense.

Frolik is around the same age as some of our current key players. (Petry, Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Eller) if the habs are to become a contender player like Frolik should be the first name to target.

I do believe that a true #1 center is the first priority but Frolik is a player that would improve our team.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I would stick around 5M. Would go to 5.25M, maybe 5.5M but depends on the years. If you add more years, I would hope he goes even lower than 5M.

I think everyone would prefer grabbing someone of real quality off a trade. We are not privy to any info about who's available, outside the obvious like Kessel.
I'm all for acquiring Kessel btw, assuming it would not cost us any roster player outside salary dumps. It won't happen though.
So, which other goal scorer is available? I don't know.
All I can say is that there's absolutely no way I can accept us going into camp with Weise/DSP + DD in our top 6.

If the plan is to go through trade route. Fine. I'm very interested to see what's done.
If it's not, then we definitely should try to bring in Frolik.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

It's POSSIBLE to sign a UFA, if we move out salary. But it doesn't look like Bergevin WANTS to. He likes having at least 8 dmen capable of playing in the NHL, so he won't want to move Emelin or Gilbert. But if he did, we'd have the cap space. Prust is another player we could move out and replace on the fourth line with DSP, then let Thomas, Anderighetto, Bournival, and Hudon vie for the third line spot.

But these likely will not happen and we'll have to hope our young guys are given an opportunity to prove themselves and seize it.

I actually thought our team was best this after we took Bourque, Moen, PAP, and Malhotra out of the lineup and replaced them with Sekac, Bournival, Thomas/Andrighetto, and De La Rose. We then got worse when we replaced these players with DSP, PAP, Flynn/De La Rose, and Mitchell. I like Mitchell, but want DSP gone, De La Rose in Hamilton to develop his offensive game, and Flynn as the 13th forward.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
It's POSSIBLE to sign a UFA, if we move out salary. But it doesn't look like Bergevin WANTS to. He likes having at least 8 dmen capable of playing in the NHL, so he won't want to move Emelin or Gilbert. But if he did, we'd have the cap space. Prust is another player we could move out and replace on the fourth line with DSP, then let Thomas, Anderighetto, Bournival, and Hudon vie for the third line spot.

But these likely will not happen and we'll have to hope our young guys are given an opportunity to prove themselves and seize it.

I actually thought our team was best this after we took Bourque, Moen, PAP, and Malhotra out of the lineup and replaced them with Sekac, Bournival, Thomas/Andrighetto, and De La Rose. We then got worse when we replaced these players with DSP, PAP, Flynn/De La Rose, and Mitchell. I like Mitchell, but want DSP gone, De La Rose in Hamilton to develop his offensive game, and Flynn as the 13th forward.

This offence is gonna be offending many fans

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

When you have an elite defensive player, you don't send him to the AHL to develop his offensive game. Jarvis and Gainey did not go to the AHL for any length of time "to develop their offensive game". They were good enough to play in the NHL, and got better offensively with time. DeLaRose can do the same. I would rather he be around NHL calibre players than keep playing with guys who are not in his league in terms of both hockey IQ and speed.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Cap space??
The habs have the most money committed to their defense from all nhl teams. They will have to move body at defense and they have to improve the offense.

Frolik is around the same age as some of our current key players. (Petry, Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Eller) if the habs are to become a contender player like Frolik should be the first name to target.

I do believe that a true #1 center is the first priority but Frolik is a player that would improve our team.

We have a #1 center. A guy who can score 60 points for the third time in his career, in a system that does not favour offence, with linemates that varied but were not always the best available, with only half time on the PP, and who can handle 20 minutes per game.....is a #1 center.

Let Eller and Mitchell handle the defensive load, and give Pleks Patches on his left and a RW like Frolik or what Kostitsyn used to be or even Scherbak or McCarron sometime soon, and give him 1min20 on each PP (with Galch replacing the RW) and Pleks might rack up 70 points.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
When you have an elite defensive player, you don't send him to the AHL to develop his offensive game. Jarvis and Gainey did not go to the AHL for any length of time "to develop their offensive game". They were good enough to play in the NHL, and got better offensively with time. DeLaRose can do the same. I would rather he be around NHL calibre players than keep playing with guys who are not in his league in terms of both hockey IQ and speed.

Gainey and Jarvis are Hall of Famers. You have to stop comparing average players to HoFs.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The comparison on how the 70s Habs managed their prospects and how the today's Habs should manage their prospects need to stop as well.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
:scared:

Oh the drama. :scared::scared:

If Chris Pronger can be traded days before he's voted into the hall of fame for salary cap reasons, anything can happen.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Gainey and Jarvis are Hall of Famers. You have to stop comparing average players to HoFs.

Jarvis is not a Hall of Famer, actually. He was a superior defensive player and so is DeLaRose. The kid is VERY SPECIAL defensively. He can and will get better offensively but not by playing with and against guys that in the main lack NHL speed, smarts or talent.

At his best, DLR will get 25-35 points a year with the style he plays. He isn't slotted for a top-6 spot. We need him here to help us win games, and we need to be patient for his offence to slowly get better. OTOH, a Scherbak might need AHL time, to get used to a faster game and to hone both his offence and his positional play. But his offensive ceiling is much higher than DLR's. We just have to hope he gets to realize that upside for us.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The comparison on how the 70s Habs managed their prospects and how the today's Habs should manage their prospects need to stop as well.

I won't be intimidated into changing my opinions by people who tell me what I "must" do. Not with the years of experience I have coaching, managing and observing sports teams.

We can respectfully disagree over any particular point, but you won't see me telling you or anyone else what "must" be argued, done or thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad