Prospect Info: Michael DiPietro

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Kevin Woodley on the vancast -

- Dipietro’s season in Utica last year as a rookie was unbelievable and rare.
- Wasting him on the taxi squad is criminal
- His work ethic is phenomenal. He makes his own drills in practice and stays on the ice while Clark works with goalies on the other end of the rink.
- There’s some value with Clark working with dipietro but the most important thing is playing games
I think its not the teams falt tho Peener, theyre running out of time again

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think its not the teams falt tho Peener, theyre running out of time again
Probably.

The implication was that this was an ownership decision from Benning if you read between the lines of his press conference.

If Benning wanted him here, he would have said it. But he agreed Mikey should be playing games and I think that ownership is pennypinching instead of finding a 3rd string.

Credit to Mikey for taking his career into his own hands and making the most out of the cards he's been dealt by a cheap owner.

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
Kevin Woodley on the vancast -

- Dipietro’s season in Utica last year as a rookie was unbelievable and rare.
- Wasting him on the taxi squad is criminal
- His work ethic is phenomenal. He makes his own drills in practice and stays on the ice while Clark works with goalies on the other end of the rink.
- There’s some value with Clark working with dipietro but the most important thing is playing games

Thanks for this, I just listened to the Vancast with Woodley you pointed to. I love how he breaks down the technical aspects. I would do everything to help keep this kid playing.

No contract offer to Clarke is bad news.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
If they bring him up they expose him (or Demko) in the expansion draft and they don't want to do that.

That's what they got Holtby for.

Reactions: flying v 604

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
The excuse that Aquilini is too cheap to sign a taxi squad goalie doesn't pass the smell test.

Benning chose to re-sign Kielly. If Kielly isn't fit for the taxi squad, then Benning could have signed a veteran goalie on a cheap two way contract for the taxi squad instead of Kielly. Desrosiers, Kaskisuo, Bibeau, etc.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
The excuse that Aquilini is too cheap to sign a taxi squad goalie doesn't pass the smell test.

Benning chose to re-sign Kielly. If Kielly isn't fit for the taxi squad, then Benning could have signed a veteran goalie on a cheap two way contract for the taxi squad instead of Kielly. Desrosiers, Kaskisuo, Bibeau, etc.

Except that is what one of the sportsnet guys said to me in a DM. The Canucks wouldn't even waiver claim a league min contract at the start of the season.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Except that is what one of the sportsnet guys said to me in a DM. The Canucks wouldn't even waiver claim a league min contract at the start of the season.
Bibeau has a cheaper minor league salary than Kielly. The Canucks would have saved money by having Bibeau on the taxi squad and not re-signing Kielly.

That Sportsnet employee is talking about adding an additional goalie to the Canucks NHL roster which isn't what I'm saying. Or they don't know what they are talking about.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Probably.

The implication was that this was an ownership decision from Benning if you read between the lines of his press conference.

If Benning wanted him here, he would have said it. But he agreed Mikey should be playing games and I think that ownership is pennypinching instead of finding a 3rd string.

Credit to Mikey for taking his career into his own hands and making the most out of the cards he's been dealt by a cheap owner.
Goalies can only dream of being treated like 2nd class citizens.

Because they are generally treated as 4th class citizens.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it would be interesting to know what ian clark thought was best. if he was doing a makeover then keeping him around would make sense.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
These guys couldn't manage a lemonade stand.
I realize having your top goalie prospect cooling his heels on the taxi squad and just practicing for an entire season, might not seem like a big deal in the scheme of things.

But it's these seemingly 'small issues' that give you zero confidence that they're managing the 'bigger issues' even better. I mean, surely there has to be a way to get a cheap, waiver wire goalie on the taxi squad and find a way to make him eligible for the expansion draft. Then they send DiPietro to Utica where he belongs, or loan him to another AHL team.

But apparently the owner is too cheap to do the right thing? I find that hard to believe. But if true, then they have bigger problems than just wasting a year of development for a prospect goalie.

Reactions: I am toxic

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
If Benning did have salary constraints so strict this off season that he wasn't allowed to add a $75,000 goaltender, then he f***ed up by re-signing Kielly.

If Benning was allowed to add another $75,000 player, then he f***ed up by not signing another goalie.

Either way this is on Benning. And yet we still have the same old talking heads making nonsense excuses for Benning that the fans lap up.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
It's just overwhelmingly clear that there was no plan for Utica this season, they probably presumed they wouldn't even play and anything to do with our AHL players/prospects hasn't been a priority for management this year which was made even more clear with Rathbone just sitting in taxi squad until after all the firing talk abated.

They must have really thought they were going to be canned.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Bibeau has a cheaper minor league salary than Kielly. The Canucks would have saved money by having Bibeau on the taxi squad and not re-signing Kielly.

That Sportsnet employee is talking about adding an additional goalie to the Canucks NHL roster which isn't what I'm saying. Or they don't know what they are talking about.

Any additional contracts at league minimum. I was talking to him about Juulsen. Canucks would not have even put a claim in due to cash flow, even if it was cap neutral.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I have no problem giving DiPietro a 2-3 year deal so we can eventually give a chance in the NHL. He has hardly played any games in the last 2 years, that's why it's amazing he has a chance to play more hockey with Canada at the World Championships.

He'll likely start in the AHL next season, but he could be NHL ready based on the experience with Canada. His value needs to be pumped higher too, if he can put up stellar AHL numbers it looks like a young stud stuck behind Demko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad