Prospect Info: Michael DiPietro (Mikey)

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Phenomemal talent. Only player I had rated above him was Lipanov. Beyond size has has a few issues but this is a big win. A good goalie coach should sort out his tendency to not stay on his feet.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Bleh, don't like drafting goalies. They are a dime a dozen in today's NHL and would rather sign or trade for one when the time comes that you need one.

Goalies are a dime a dozen until you don't have one. Probably a third of the league has questionable goaltending right now.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Nice to have another high profile prospect in goal.

Not gonna pretend to know anything about goaltending but this kids athleticism and resume is pretty stellar.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Nice to have Demko in the AHL and DiPietro in junior. It would be cool to grab a Euro goalie late as well. Has Zhukov been taken yet?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Canucks Army:

The biggest knock against DiPietro is not his size, but rather his ability to effectively utilize his 6-foot-1 frame. He reads plays well and is an excellent puck-tracker, but his skating strategy needs to improve by the time he reaches the professional level. Goaltenders that have a similar frame achieve success by beating passes on their feet. DiPietro, on the other hand, has an initial tendency to slide across. The downside of that is not just the fact that he is down in the butterfly early, reducing his size, but it also means that he loses the ability to move laterally back the other way if there is a returning pass. At 6-foot-1, he’ll need to play more aggressively than other larger goaltenders, and the ability to hold his edges is something he is required to master moving forward.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
2nd round talent goalie in the early 3rd. Take that any day. Kid will be fun to follow as he's on some good teams

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
THIS KID IS A STUD. I had him has the second best goalie in the draft

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I think you should pick a goalie in the 2nd or 3rd round every couple (2 or 3) years. They generally take 3 or 4 years to develop and the bust rate is pretty high. By the time you have figured out that your goalie prospect is not going to make it, your need becomes pressing. If you end up with an "extra" good young goalie prospect, you can always trade him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Very good junior goalie who'll be fun to watch at the next 2 WJCs hopefully but probably too small for the NHL. Don't like this pick much, and feel the positive reaction is more based on drafting a familiar name than actual potential.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
You don't have to take em in the 1st or 2nd... but should be grabbing a decent one every few years.

It all kind of depends when they start coming off the board.

I had a gut feeling that Oettinger would go in the 1st round. Either by Dallas with their pick or Ottawa. Or a team in the early 2nd like Vegas would move up to grab him.

After Jake, it was just a matter of which team made the move to grab the next goalie. Once the 2nd goalie goes, it begins to fly. Which is what happened this year after Buf grab the Finnish goalie in the late 2nd.

Back in 2014, no goalies went in round 1. Then Calgary takes MacDonald at #34, and 3 more goalies go off the board in the next 5 picks.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Bleh, don't like drafting goalies. They are a dime a dozen in today's NHL and would rather sign or trade for one when the time comes that you need one.

Dime a dozen? Seems to me that plenty of teams struggle yearly to find a decent guy in the net. Just ask fans of Calgary and Winnipeg.

Having a guy like Demko in the pipeline makes me feel a bit more relaxed about our future. Adding another decent prospect doesn't hurt either.

No point in wasting a real high pick on one, though.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Very good junior goalie who'll be fun to watch at the next 2 WJCs hopefully but probably too small for the NHL. Don't like this pick much, and feel the positive reaction is more based on drafting a familiar name than actual potential.

He's very highly regarded by the guys that know the OHL best. Brock Otten loves him. Woodlief and Button both love him. Woodley loves his athleticism but he has some fundamentals to work on.

This is a great pick (in isolation).

Dhillon did not get picked. I wonder if he is eligible to be signed. I would love to add him as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad