Player Discussion: Michael Dal Colle

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I see, "earning your spot" still reigns supreme. It's such a bad policy. Out people in position to succeed, who cares how they got there. If they fail then, it's on them and we can all move on.

Reactions: Eberzal

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I have a hard time seeing this guy as an NHL regular if he can't even find success in the AHL. Jeez the guy was drafted 4 years ago and he doesn't even have a single NHL point, granted only 4 games but still. What a bust so far.

Reactions: bigtim1988

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
MDC is just super soft and cant skate even close to the level he needs to be an NHLer. Not for nothing, Thompson has to go too. Guy has done a terrible job with just about everyone thats come through from there. MDC was not a bad pick. However, lesson learned, isles need to draft kids who check the boxes for size and who can skate in the early rounds. You can't teach speed. Tavares gets away with being insanely gifted and intelligent everywhere else, but he is not a fast skater whatsoever and never will be, and regardless of how pissed off we all are, that guy works his tail off and even though hes much better on his edges hes not faster. MDC will either be a bottom 6 or never make it. Im rooting for him just to be serviceable, he still has an NHL shot and release.

Reactions: nyisleslover

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Thompson has to go too. Guy has done a terrible job with just about everyone thats come through from there.

While I agree Thompson probably should be canned, the Islanders need to find a few "career" AHLers to place on the roster. Somebody like Dal Colle for instance should be playing with a PPG center in the AHL to help him develop. Having 1/2 veteran defensemen won't hurt either

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
While I agree Thompson probably should be canned, the Islanders need to find a few "career" AHLers to place on the roster. Somebody like Dal Colle for instance should be playing with a PPG center in the AHL to help him develop. Having 1/2 veteran defensemen won't hurt either
didnt they bring in a few guys with ahl experience in sislo , lorito

KWPower

Mar 1, 2018
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Unfortunately while Trotz is a great coach he was really bad at managing the youngsters in our line up (Vrana and Burakovsky specifically). He leans way too much on Vets. MDC based off what I've read from the thread seems like the type of person Trotz will love to play on the 4th line then scratch when they aren't playing a fourth line type game. His future with the Isles is very limited with Barry.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
If you are not trying to develop your players to succeed, then what exactly are you developing them for?

You’re misinterpreting. Point is development is on both player and team just like When you’re at work you actually have to put in the effort yourself to contribute to your own development. True, your employer should provide opportunities to assist your development, but you need to also work and be creative in finding ways to improve yourself.

If they surround dal colle with better players he also needs to put in the work to help his own development. He’s slow as molasses. I’m interpreting your statement to indicate he should be on the first or second line with better players to get more offensive chances. I just think he can’t skate well or use his body enough to be effective up there. He couldn’t separate himself from fourth liners.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I am not saying that MDC would have 100% thrived in a top six position. But judging by their role in the standings I am not quite sure the people they trusted last year worked out too well.

Right. His shot is the thing that makes him useful, yet, he's not playing with anyone who can help make use of it. He and Ho-Sang should be glued at the hip down in the A. So long as he's trying and isn't dogging it, he should be given a real opportunity instead of playing with third line scrubs who can't do anything well.

We know his skill set isn't good enough to elevate his teammates, so why are we expecting him to? If he flounders with legitimate playmakers, then he gets buried.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You put people you know and trust into positions to succeed. Unknown quantities have to earn that trust.

I get that. That’s how PA Parenteau got his opportunity under Capuano (they played against each other in the minors and Cappy knew what he was capable of while Scott Gordon is just an ass).

But hear me out, maybe the problem in Bridgeport are the decision makers. Maybe they aren’t getting to know their prospects well enough.

This response isn’t meant to be solely directed towards you, I just don’t really think Bridgeport has ever gave us a “surprise” prospect that other organizations farm teams develop every once in a while, on top of preparing top prospects in a reasonable amount of time.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Except, like, not at all, but okay.

Put people in position to succeed. That's how development should work.

You put people who've earned a shot to be in that position to succeed. MDC has been put in an opportunity to succeed, but unfortunately when you score just 7 goals in the AHL and your production significantly drops-that's not good. He's play in the second best hockey league in NA-let's not act like he's not being given a shot.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You put people who've earned a shot to be in that position to succeed. MDC has been put in an opportunity to succeed, but unfortunately when you score just 7 goals in the AHL and your production significantly drops-that's not good. He's play in the second best hockey league in NA-let's not act like he's not being given a shot.

Hasn't he been buried on that team? How is a guy known for one thing, and one thing only, supposed to succeed by playing with guys who can't get him the puck in positions where he can use his one asset? I don't follow Bridgeport closely enough to know, so I'm legitimately asking. I remember reading he was playing on the third line.

Also, I don't want this to be taken as though I think Dal Colle is some great player because I don't think that at all. He's underwhelmed every time I've seen him live and was just another plug who was a net neutral player when he was called up last year. I just hate the idea that players have to "earn" everything because it's idiotic. His skill set doesn't allow him to do the things necessary for a fourth liner to do. I don't expect Barzal to throw massive hits like I do Clutterbuck, nor do I expect that from Bailey. So why should either of those players need to play with the Colin McDonald's of the world in order to "earn" their spot higher up in the lineup? It doesn't make sense to me and it seems like a one size fits all type of approach.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I get that. That’s how PA Parenteau got his opportunity under Capuano (they played against each other in the minors and Cappy knew what he was capable of while Scott Gordon is just an ass).

But hear me out, maybe the problem in Bridgeport are the decision makers. Maybe they aren’t getting to know their prospects well enough.

This response isn’t meant to be solely directed towards you, I just don’t really think Bridgeport has ever gave us a “surprise” prospect that other organizations farm teams develop every once in a while, on top of preparing top prospects in a reasonable amount of time.

What are you talking about? Alan Quine scored a goal in double OT!

Reactions: seafoam

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Hasn't he been buried on that team? How is a guy known for one thing, and one thing only, supposed to succeed by playing with guys who can't get him the puck in positions where he can use his one asset? I don't follow Bridgeport closely enough to know, so I'm legitimately asking. I remember reading he was playing on the third line.

Also, I don't want this to be taken as though I think Dal Colle is some great player because I don't think that at all. He's underwhelmed every time I've seen him live and was just another plug who was a net neutral player when he was called up last year. I just hate the idea that players have to "earn" everything because it's idiotic. His skill set doesn't allow him to do the things necessary for a fourth liner to do. I don't expect Barzal to throw massive hits like I do Clutterbuck, nor do I expect that from Bailey. So why should either of those players need to play with the Colin McDonald's of the world in order to "earn" their spot higher up in the lineup? It doesn't make sense to me and it seems like a one size fits all type of approach.

Good post PK. Just to add to this post I would like to say that we spent a fifth overall pick on this player. The organization needs to see what they have in him considering they spent a fifth overall pick in him.

Even if this means putting him in the top six for a few days during training camp, that is fine to see how he does. Let's not forget about the last fifth overall pick we threw in the bottom six.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Yes and no. Teams will often call up guys and play them in a 3rd/4th line role to see if they can handle the "away from the puck" duties first, then bump them up to play with the top line guys if they've proven they won't be a liability away from the puck.

The only time guys get called up and get inserted into a scoring role right away is if injuries have decimated the team and there's an obvious spot available. Otherwise, they typically have to earn that spot.

That applies to the AHL, as well, to some extent. Especially if a team wants a player to prove he won't be a one-dimensional scorer at the next level. They put them in a role that shows whether they can handle the defensive responsibilities of a pro, then when they're satisfied with that, move them into a scoring role. Maybe Dal Colle's never surpassed their expectations for his play away from the puck yet?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Good post PK. Just to add to this post I would like to say that we spent a fifth overall pick on this player. The organization needs to see what they have in him considering they spent a fifth overall pick in him.

Even if this means putting him in the top six for a few days during training camp, that is fine to see how he does. Let's not forget about the last fifth overall pick we threw in the bottom six.

That's such a great example of the type of thing I'm talking about. Nino doesn't have the skill set to be in the bottom 6 like he was, was playing with scrubs, and failed because of that. He gets put into a position to have success, and amazingly he does. Now, obviously maturity has something to do with that too, but I don't think he'd be producing anywhere near what he has if he was routinely playing with the same caliber players. I also can't remember what Nino did in the AHL and where he was slotted in that lineup.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yes and no. Teams will often call up guys and play them in a 3rd/4th line role to see if they can handle the "away from the puck" duties first, then bump them up to play with the top line guys if they've proven they won't be a liability away from the puck.

The only time guys get called up and get inserted into a scoring role right away is if injuries have decimated the team and there's an obvious spot available. Otherwise, they typically have to earn that spot.

That applies to the AHL, as well, to some extent. Especially if a team wants a player to prove he won't be a one-dimensional scorer at the next level. They put them in a role that shows whether they can handle the defensive responsibilities of a pro, then when they're satisfied with that, move them into a scoring role. Maybe Dal Colle's never surpassed their expectations for his play away from the puck yet?

I think that's fair, but what do you do with him if he is going to be one dimensional? If his one dimension is so good that it's still an asset, he needs to be put in a position to use that asset. If it isn't, he's a bust and needs to be shipped out if he has any value. Also, why are we looking at his offensive numbers then if we're seeing if he can play away from the puck?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
That's such a great example of the type of thing I'm talking about. Nino doesn't have the skill set to be in the bottom 6 like he was, was playing with scrubs, and failed because of that. He gets put into a position to have success, and amazingly he does. Now, obviously maturity has something to do with that too, but I don't think he'd be producing anywhere near what he has if he was routinely playing with the same caliber players. I also can't remember what Nino did in the AHL and where he was slotted in that lineup.

And to be fair, I do not think either of us believe MDC will totally light it up if he is placed in the top six. That being said, this organization owes it to themselves to see what he has.

Nice to see two mods meeting eye to eye here PK.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
And to be fair, I do not think either of us believe MDC will totally light it up if he is placed in the top six. That being said, this organization owes it to themselves to see what he has.

Nice to see two mods meeting eye to eye here PK.

I don't think he will, but I'd like to see him with someone like Ho-Sang or Barzal before calling it quits on him. Moulson was awful at every aspect of the game outside of a ten square foot area of ice, if Dal Colle can become similar to that...that's alright in my book, at least for now.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think that's fair, but what do you do with him if he is going to be one dimensional? If his one dimension is so good that it's still an asset, he needs to be put in a position to use that asset. If it isn't, he's a bust and needs to be shipped out if he has any value.

I'm sure he's gotten *some* opportunities with some offensive guys. Didn't Ho-Sang and MDC play on a line for a bit at some point this year? The problem is, if you're going to be one-dimensional, you better be GREAT at that one dimension and capitalize on every chance you get in that role.

The thing with Dal Colle is, he shouldn't even be just a one-dimensional shooter. He's not McDavid or Barzal out there, but he was a decent playmaker in junior.

And maybe he has no value? I mean, if he's struggling this much with the Isles, why would another team give up a good asset for him? The Isles are probably hanging on to him because he's worth more to them as a potential breakout player than anything they'd get in a trade at this point.

Also, why are we looking at his offensive numbers then if we're seeing if he can play away from the puck?

Probably because by this point he should have already proven to the organization that he's capable enough away from the puck that he should have earned that promotion, and thus, been scoring.

I think the fact he's still kind of stuck in the bottom six suggests that he hasn't even done that yet.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad