Trade: [MIA/HOU] Laremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills to HOU for Two 1st rounders, 2nd rounder, 2 players

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
With Josh Rosen, unless they feel he's hideous, I don't think the Dolphins will be looking for a QB in the next draft. They have enough picks to target whoever they want though.
Depending on how long they stick with FitzMagic, even if Rosen becomes the starter, this OL will give him little to no chance to succeed, just like his situation in AZ last year.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
I would fill as many holes as we can in next years draft, and do whatever needs to be done to land Lawrence the season after next. IMO, he is the best QB prospect since Peyton.
Yeah, this is pretty much how I am thinking now that they have stockpiled picks for the next 2 years. It will be painful, but could prove to be just what the franchise needs to finally get over the hump.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Texans badly needed OL help and specifically a LT so I get it from that perspective because they're a better team now after making this trade. However, that's a ridiculous price to pay for a good but not great LT. Someone needs to come to their senses and stop allowing O'Brien to make trades and get a competent GM in there. BTW, this all could've been avoided if they were smarter and more aggressive in the draft. Dillard was sitting there and they apparently liked him but the Eagles jumped directly ahead of them and took him.

Dolphins will need to find a LT for whoever their franchise QB will be but this seems too good to pass up. Trading Tunsil for Clowney didn't make sense but this does. They probably have more than enough picks to get their QB and LT in the next few drafts. They'll be in the same age range as well and on cheap rookie deals unlike Tunsil, who'll be getting paid pretty soon.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Trash trade. Houston shoring up their o-line means they're now a fringe Super Bowl contender and those picks are in the 20s at the earliest. Absolutely awful for one of the best LTs in the game. Stills is whatever but still...This team now has no o-line (again) and whatever young QB they want will get killed. Fun.

Congrats to Houston though. That threesome of Hopkins, Stills and Fuller is looking mighty gnarly.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Trash trade. Houston shoring up their o-line means they're now a fringe Super Bowl contender and those picks are in the 20s at the earliest. Absolutely awful for one of the best LTs in the game. Stills is whatever but still...This team now has no o-line (again) and whatever young QB they want will get killed. Fun.

Congrats to Houston though. That threesome of Hopkins, Stills and Fuller is looking mighty gnarly.

Certainly wasn't a trash trade. BOB went all in this year, and if he is jettisoned after a failed season, a new coach will go to Houston with very little to work with in the next couple of drafts. The Fins have a boatload of 1st and 2nd round picks in the next two drafts, and a ridiculous amount of cap space as well. They can work on the offensive and defensive lines next draft, and go all in for Lawrence afterwards.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
You don't trade your franchise LT away when you need to keep whatever QB prospect you have (Rosen, Tua, Lawrence, whoever they settle on) from dying halfway into his rookie season. It's what partially prevented Tannehill from being better than what he was and has been a sticking point on this team for a damn decade.

Tunsil was only 25. OL have shown they can play at an elite level well into their 30's. You keep him as a building block and to protect whatever this team's future is's blindside.

Edit: Not to mention the supposed "revolt" that was coming if the Dolphins traded Tunsil. Players don't want to play for losers, and this move signifies that is what the Dolphins are, as much as it needs to be done.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is great. Houston just set the market for LTs and that should mean the Redskins get a good haul for Trent Williams. Thank you Houston.
Houston a couple of years ago moved Brown, a veteran like Williams for a 2nd, Lane, originally. Lane failed his physical so they Ended up sending him back along with a 5th to get a 3rd. So that was the price for a 30 something year old LT vs a 25 year old LT.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Miami all in for Trent Williams?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is great. Houston just set the market for LTs and that should mean the Redskins get a good haul for Trent Williams. Thank you Houston.

Williams is 31 years old, has some health concerns, and is only under team control for two more years unless a team wants to tag him at the age of 33. Washington is also run by a bunch of clowns, which might complicate things in trade discussions. I'll be shocked if they get anything close to this for him.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Wonder how much it would've cost to move up 2 spots in the draft to ensure they got Dillard...

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Has anyone compiled a list of picks Houston has traded away in recent seasons? With the Browns alone, it's been a lot. They gave the Browns a 2nd to take Osweiller. They gave the Browns two firsts to move up to take Watson, and if I remember it right, they gave up a third to get Duke Johnson.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Has anyone compiled a list of picks Houston has traded away in recent seasons? With the Browns alone, it's been a lot. They gave the Browns a 2nd to take Osweiller. They gave the Browns two firsts to move up to take Watson, and if I remember it right, they gave up a third to get Duke Johnson.
They gave an additional first to move up. That’s how it should be seen. They were not going to get Watson in the 20’s so it was that years pick plus another one to secure the pick to get him.

Darnold cost the Jets 3 2nd round picks to swap with Indy.

If those teams could have used their own pick on the QB they would have done so. But they needed to move additional picks to move up and get their guy.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I feel that the dolphins didn't want to pay for tunsil when that time comes. Best to get something instead of just letting him walk. Good trade as long as we draft well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I feel that the dolphins didn't want to pay for tunsil when that time comes. Best to get something instead of just letting him walk. Good trade as long as we draft well.
I’m sure that Tunsil who is entering the final year of his 4 year rookie deal, will be asking for a new one in the off season, and not play on the 5th year team option.

Donald and Mack did that last year. Looking at something close to $90 mill over 5 years, with around $55 mill of that guaranteed. Trent Brown got $66 mill over 4 years so $16.5 average with $36 mill guaranteed. Someone like Tunsil would get closer to 3 years average salary in guaranteed money.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Bill O'Brien ensuring his job security, because no one will want to come into an organization that's without their next 2 1st round picks
I get it, but you can only dream of getting a tackle of Tunsil's caliber passed top 10 of any draft.

As for Miami, I don't understand what the hell they're trying to accomplish. They couldn't let Rosen have 1 single year in a normal offense?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I like how people in these trades justify trading young elite players for cap space especially the Raiders two trades where you have a franchise player and trade him away for picks that arent even going to be worth the top 5 they used to get Cooper/Mack....if you are a smart team you absolutely pay these players. There is a lot of cap space in the NFL to fit those players in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad