Metro: Who got better, Who got worse, Who stayed the same

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Do we thinks the Caps get better with age or worse?

Ovechkin, Orpik, Backstrom, Oshie and Niskanen are the only age regression candidates. Everyone else should be better or stay the same.

I think we might actually get better with age.

Ovechkin - looks like he is training quite hard this off-season, shouldn't see a substantial difference.
Orpik - 6th defenseman, shouldn't really matter much
Backstrom - based on his style of play I can't see him slowing down much in his early 30s
Oshie - struggled for most of the regular season last year, if anything should see an improvement during the regular season
Niskanen - still only 31 years old, shouldn't really impact him at this point

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It may hurt a lot but I like to think last season was a career worse for Holtby, there's no way he's that bad again... I hope.

Not ideal of course but at least we have Samsonov waiting. I would bet short term he could play a few games.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Do we thinks the Caps get better with age or worse?

Ovechkin, Orpik, Backstrom, Oshie and Niskanen are the only age regression candidates. Everyone else should be better or stay the same.

I think we might actually get better with age.
Oshie was hurt start of playoffs. Kuzy was hurt for some of playoffs, and Backstrom was badly hurt some of playoffs - yet they still won the Cup.

With Djoos, Kempny, Vrana, Wilson, and Burakovsky all having another year to develop - I’d say Caps are a little stronger this year.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Oshie was hurt start of playoffs. Kuzy was hurt for some of playoffs, and Backstrom was badly hurt some of playoffs - yet they still won the Cup.

With Djoos, Kempny, Vrana, Wilson, and Burakovsky all having another year to develop - I’d say Caps are a little stronger thisI al year.

I also really really hope Gersich gets a legit look if he makes the team out of camp. His speed is absolutely made for today's game.

I really really think we will sign a bet back up like Lehtonen. Mason would be fine too.

I’m less enthralled w Pavalec, but he’s an option.

That is a depressing list. There has to be some minor league goalie out there better than the current FA goalie crop.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That is a depressing list. There has to be some minor league goalie out there better than the current FA goalie crop.

Lehtonen had a really good year, as a back up. Overpaid, but really solid. Best save % and GAA since 2013-14. He’s also got the ability to play through long stretches, if need be.

Mason is similar, IMO. More up and down. But had a really solid stretch from 2013-2016. Dog poop last year.

Pavalec....pass.

Im really interested in Lehtonen, assuming he comes at a far reduced cost (ideally, under 1.3m).

That would allow us to waive Copley (or deal him), Samsanov plays top gun in Hershey, and the big team is set in case Holtby gets hurt or struggles. They’d still have 300k in space w a full roster. Or more like 1m+ if they carried 22m man roster (more w 21). Enough to deal for someone useful at the TDL (1m now equals like 5m in space at TDL, assuming no salary going back...so add in someone would lose a roster slot with a player coming in, and it’s probably like 6m or more without the dealing team retaining)

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I also really really hope Gersich gets a legit look if he makes the team out of camp. His speed is absolutely made for today's game.

I still think Lehtonen is a decent goalie. He was thrown under the bus in Dallas. They brought in Niemi to replace him but failed. Then they bring in Bishop but he didnt out play Lehtonen either. The problem with Lehtonen in Dallas was the team in front of him. The team did improve defensively last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad