Metro: Who got better, Who got worse, Who stayed the same

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Watching the NHL Network coverage of the Metro and trying to figure out how the Metro shakes out this season so here goes:

Worse:

:isles - You can't lose your 28 year old captain and get better. Trotz/Lambert/Korn will help but I can't see them making the playoffs with that D and goaltending. Even though deHann was injured most of the season, they will miss him going forward as well.

:cbj - Defense is great, the rest of the team just got older and the Panarin drama will not help.

:rangers - Committed to this "rebuild" they did nothing this off-season. I put them in the worse section, even though they were last in the Metro last season. Lundqvist is older, they don't have a backup yet, and they are running with a lot of kids, it will not end well.

Better:

:canes- Getting deHann and Hamilton makes that defense pretty impressive. If they ever figure out how to score goals look out, trading Skinner certainly won't help that either, I'm still thinking they make the playoffs if they get even slightly better goaltending this season.

:flyers - Young defense has more experience, Provorov is gonna be so good, add JVR, only goaltending holds them back.

Stayed the same:

:pens - Lost nothing beyond Sheary but got Grant and Hayes to replace the lost goals. Traded Hunwick, who sucks, signed Johnson, who sucks. Wildcard will be how rookie Sprong plays.

:devils - Did nothing, will struggle to make the playoffs.

:caps - DEFENDING STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ;) , everyone coming back except Beagle, should easily make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It will probably be 5/3 again. The Atl is top heavy....with obv teams like Tampa, Toronto, and Boston. Florida could contend. Buffalo is the only other one that maybe could surprise. Montreal, Ottawa, and Detroit are all pretty bad teams.

Washington, Pittsburgh, Columbus should all make it easily as well. Philadelphia probably too, unless they regress or their G is awful. Same w Carolina. New Jersey could also repeat thanks to Hall and their youth improving. Only def outs in Metro are the 2 NY teams, IMO.

Jun 15, 2007
Do we thinks the Caps get better with age or worse?

Ovechkin, Orpik, Backstrom, Oshie and Niskanen are the only age regression candidates. Everyone else should be better or stay the same.

I think we might actually get better with age.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Do we thinks the Caps get better with age or worse?

Ovechkin, Orpik, Backstrom, Oshie and Niskanen are the only age regression candidates. Everyone else should be better or stay the same.

I think we might actually get better with age.
Age might not hurt us as much as people think. Shouldnt hurt Backstrom as much as the other guys. His game has always been his patience. He slows the game down. Though at times last year I noticed teams played him more aggressively not letting him set up in the offensive zone.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I think the Blue Jackets will be the 2nd best in the Metro this season.

They are going to be a great team if they just have reliable goaltending in the playoffs

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'll believe it when I see it with Carolina. Every year we hear how young and dynamic they are and every year they disappoint. They have a really impressive defense on paper but their goaltending situation is garbage and they lack both top-end talent and depth at the Center position. Staal and Rask as your 1 and 2C don't exactly scream "contender" to me.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I think the Blue Jackets will be the 2nd best in the Metro this season.

They are going to be a great team if they just have reliable goaltending in the playoffs

Man, I totally disagree. That team reminds me so much of the 90s Caps. Decent team, but nowhere near a power.

Unless PMD really breaks out their forwards are mediocre.

Panarin is great, but he's not enough to elevate the team.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'll believe it when I see it with Carolina. Every year we hear how young and dynamic they are and every year they disappoint. They have a really impressive defense on paper but their goaltending situation is garbage and they lack both top-end talent and depth at the Center position. Staal and Rask as your 1 and 2C don't exactly scream "contender" to me.

I agree, Carolina has been overrated for a while. So much for their young D core being the difference makers. If they miss the playoffs again this year, it will be 10 years straight of not making the playoffs.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think in the metro it's as always comes down to Caps and Pens. Pens with healthy Letang and Malkin and addition of Johnson (not a smart contract but a good player yet) are #1 favourites in the entire conference. Rangers ofc will suck but they already have a good young backup in Georgiev, the question is how many games will he play? In the Atlantic its up for grabs: Toronto, Boston, Tampa and Florida will all make the playoffs. Toronto with their ridiculous depth can allow themselves to play it out without a good addition on D, they are that strong offensively.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Man, I totally disagree. That team reminds me so much of the 90s Caps. Decent team, but nowhere near a power.

Unless PMD really breaks out their forwards are mediocre.

Panarin is great, but he's not enough to elevate the team.

Agreed. I think Columbus is a prime candidate for regression. They too have questionable talent and depth at Center, Torts typically has a short shelf live with teams, and unless Bobrovsky plays at a Vezina level they're a pretty underwhelming team. A lot will depend on PLD's progression. If he comes a bonafide 1C then they could be pretty good.

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
Well, Bob has already won the Vezina twice and he's only 29. He's probably a good bet to continue being a stellar goaltender.

I feel like the Rangers are going about their rebuild, no quotations, the correct way. There's no one they could have signed that would have made them a great team. Might as play the kids and aim for that high draft pick.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I thought Ian Cole and obviously Calvert looked great against the Caps now they’re Avs, I could see them on the playoff bubble. Forgot Carolina got de Haan, they could be the 3rd best team if their goaltending holds up.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Well, Bob has already won the Vezina twice and he's only 29. He's probably a good bet to continue being a stellar goaltender.

I feel like the Rangers are going about their rebuild, no quotations, the correct way. There's no one they could have signed that would have made them a great team. Might as play the kids and aim for that high draft pick.

he in last year of deal, jackets may look to trade him if they dont start well

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't know if you've looked at the Atlantic enough to determine whether you project a 4/4 or 5/3 playoff split, but assuming 4/4, does that mean you see the Metro playoff teams as WAS/PIT/PHI/CAR?

I will reserves judgement on the Panthers until about a month in.

Right now I think it's Caps/Pens/Flyers in the Metro, with Devils, Canes, Jackets maybe Panthers fighting for the two Wild Card spots. Also never underestimate how a player who doesn't want to be there affects (Panarin) a team, look at the Avs once all the Duchene stuff was dealt with.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Don't think any in the metro really stand out. Obviously Caps sans Beagle the only negative but new coach and SC hangover bring them back to the pack before the season wise uncertainty wise.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don’t see them starting slow....the Caps, that is.

I’m so glass half full right now....I see them rolling teams to start the season. Assuming Holtby is up to snuff. They figured something out that unleashed some things. I don’t see that getting tethered.....especially not w Reirden as the new HC. He’s got a lot on the line, and the team seems to love him. We will get best efforts. And schemes may be way better too. Dunno!!

Like I said — HALF FULL

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I like the Flyers chances of making the playoffs this year. Their goaltending is bad, but they have enough to overcome that piece.

Their PP will be deadly.

Wash
Pitt
Philly
CBJ

Tampa
TML
Boston
Florida

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Age might not hurt us as much as people think. Shouldnt hurt Backstrom as much as the other guys. His game has always been his patience. He slows the game down. Though at times last year I noticed teams played him more aggressively not letting him set up in the offensive zone.
Maybe pressuring NB is the best possible counter to Caps setup so they are trying what they can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad