Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
The NBA created a new revenue-sharing scheme last season in which wealthier franchises direct more of their profits to the struggling franchises. The magazine said the Kings, who had the league's worst attendance in the just-concluded regular season, would expect to collect about $18 million a year.
The Bee's source couldn't confirm that number. About a year and a half ago, in a letter to the team's current owners the Maloofs, the NBA calculated that figure at about $15 million.
The new revenue sharing formula goes beyond the giant pool of national television money, which is divided up among the teams. The Kings' share of the TV money tops $30 million a year.

This, this.....

Can the league negotiate separately from the owner of a franchise in such a way to influence the value of the franchise, the modus operandi basically being to pay the league off for an approval?

This takes money directly out of the Maloofs pockets and puts it into the the rich teams' pockets.

Something is rotten in the NBA.

Morgoth Bauglir

Master Of The Fates Of Arda
Aug 31, 2012
Angband via Utumno
This, this.....

Can the league negotiate separately from the owner of a franchise in such a way to influence the value of the franchise, the modus operandi basically being to pay the league off for an approval?

This takes money directly out of the Maloofs pockets and puts it into the the rich teams' pockets.

Something very rotten indeed.....

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
If they turn down the revenue sharing, that's an issue with the NBAPA. So you'll have a lawsuit from Hansen, and then the Player's Association.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
If they turn down the revenue sharing, that's an issue with the NBAPA. So you'll have a lawsuit from Hansen, and then the Player's Association.

I'm not sure, to be honest. The Players will get 50% of all BRR. The teams have to spend within a certain range. It will hurt the Kings' competitiveness if they are spending the lowest minimum possible because the owners have to be careful with spending.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Of course they can pledge that they won't take revenue sharing money. Every small market team takes the revenue sharing dollars. But in a couple of years, it wouldn't matter anyways.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
That is officially a joke.

It's bad for the NBA too. From now on if you're not in a big market and you really want to keep your team, giving up revenue sharing is the solution?

Last edited:

Shaz

Jan 23, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I think the NFL has a great model on revenue sharing, NBA could use something similar

Too bad Stern is too stubborn and greedy to give a damn about the smaller teams in the overall scheme of things

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
That is officially a joke.

It's bad for the NBA too. From now on if you're not in a big market and you really want to keep your team, giving up revenue sharing is the solution?

Yeah..maybe for the tax payers, but good for the fans of the kings to keep them in Sacramento

ramstoria

Mar 4, 2011
Sacramento
Yeah..maybe for the tax payers, but good for the fans of the kings to keep them in Sacramento

meh. maybe on the arena we get a little hosed (virtually every city does), but that has nothing to do with the revenue sharing. If Vivek wants to spend the extra money, let him.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't want to go down this road. Give us an expansion team in 3 years and everyone freaking wins.

No one wants Anti-Trust lawsuits.

NBA doesn't want to have to defend their illegal activates in the courts there will be a settlement.

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
I don't want to go down this road. Give us an expansion team in 3 years and everyone freaking wins.

No one wants Anti-Trust lawsuits.

I am of the opinion you don't get to the point of the NBA offering expansion unless we start throwing some weight around and give them no other choice. Stern has already proven over and over again he will re-write the rules to suit his agenda and Silver just seems to be his mini-me (even if he is quite a bit taller).

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
I am of the opinion you don't get to the point of the NBA offering expansion unless we start throwing some weight around and give them no other choice. Stern has already proven over and over again he will re-write the rules to suit his agenda and Silver just seems to be his mini-me (even if he is quite a bit taller).

Agreed.

DelpoRafaKilla

May 26, 2011

I agree as well. I want them to wield their anti trust hammer on them. Want to see Sterns arrogant ass suffer and Prokhauser-Rose taken to school. What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Bullwine85

Jan 3, 2013
Neenah, WI
*Sigh*

I just want the NBA back in Seattle and the NHL to finally get here

Is that too much to ask?

If only there was a situation where we'd give you the Bucks, and the NHL comes to both Seattle and the state of Wisconsin, we'd both be incredibly happy

DyerMaker66*

Who does the NBA add if they expand? Seattle and Vancouver have been mentioned, as have Pittsburgh and KC; are there any other eastern cities in the mix?

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Who does the NBA add if they expand? Seattle and Vancouver have been mentioned, as have Pittsburgh and KC; are there any other eastern cities in the mix?

Possibly just one if the owners really care about diluted profit sharing. The NBA has too small of a talent pool as it is.

Las Vegas could be an option though, as well as Virginia Beach.

Shaz

Jan 23, 2013
Tacoma, WA
If only there was a situation where we'd give you the Bucks, and the NHL comes to both Seattle and the state of Wisconsin, we'd both be incredibly happy

I'd take that in a micro second

BTW, why the hell is the NHL NOT in Wisconsin?

Seems like a natural fit to me

Morgoth Bauglir

Master Of The Fates Of Arda
Aug 31, 2012
Angband via Utumno
I'd take that in a micro second

BTW, why the hell is the NHL NOT in Wisconsin?

Seems like a natural fit to me

From what I understand, every time the public gets polled in Milwaukee they show no interest in the NHL. Wisconsin may be a hockey state but apparently Milwaukee isn't a hockey town and unfortunately it's the only city in Wisconsin large enough to bother putting a major-league sports team in.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
This, this.....

Screams desperation on Sacramento’s part. The fact that they are a bottom tier revenue generator and are willing to decline revenue sharing (btw...how is that enforced?) is almost approaching bribery. As a previous poster pointed out, it will effect the competitiveness of the market - kind of like a low-end NHL (revenue) city willing to decline revenue sharing and icing an AHL quality team just to stay in the NHL.

Come to think of it, makes you wonder if something more is brewing behind the scenes? Hypothetically, let’s say Hansen agreed to the exact same deal whereby he agrees to keep the Kings in Sacramento and will not take revenue sharing, would the end result be a bottom-tier team that cannot afford to be competitive? Fans would tire of loosing, not come out, causing a further drop in revenue to the point where ownership to claim that Sacramento is not a financially viable market and have reason to relocate.

Now if Hansen tried that, he would be accused of being Clay Bennett v 2.0, but this is the (supposed) local ownership group that is proposing this, under the guise of "good faith". Why would a small-market ownership group cut themselves off from a potential revenue stream which would be at the expense of an on-court product? Do any of the Sacramento ownership groups have ties to other non-NBA markets? If the Kings fail under their watch, do they have a "Plan B" that hasn’t come to light? Or are they so focused on the tree (keeping the Kings in Sacramento) that they can’t see the forest?

As an Oilers fan, I can see some parallels of the current Kings situation with the Oilers who were almost relocated to Houston in the late 1990’s. The one thing I could never see is EIG agreeing to forgo revenue sharing to keep the Oilers in Edmonton, especially when revenue sharing was a supposed tool that would keep the small market franchises in their existing market.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
The Maloofs are not the victims. They purposely tried to kill the market to collect that subsidy, Vivek refusing it is posturing to reinforce that Sacramento is a profitable market.

anyway, for those who don't know about the Maloofs, you should really read their history, best synopsis of the situation I could find.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1dhugj/hansen_and_the_maloofs_have_been_talking_since/c9qnub4

No offense, but Seattle had it easy by comparison and still lost the Thunder.

Last edited:

Bullwine85

Jan 3, 2013
Neenah, WI
From what I understand, every time the public gets polled in Milwaukee they show no interest in the NHL. Wisconsin may be a hockey state but apparently Milwaukee isn't a hockey town and unfortunately it's the only city in Wisconsin large enough to bother putting a major-league sports team in.

This, sadly

To make the NHL work in Milwaukee, you have to market the team as a team that represents the entire state of Wisconsin, not just simply Milwaukee. It's part of the reason the Packers and Brewers are so popular and the Bucks, well, aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad