Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sactown dude

Apr 21, 2013
Day one dating back to years ago when this thing first took root in previous mayoral administrations. KJ may be a popular mayor, but that doesn't mean that his voters support him on all of these issues. Are there any polls out there about public support/opposition for the current arena plan there?

No polls that I know of, but I don't think most voters know much about KJ's position on other issues, only the Kings and the arena. Mayor is little more than a figurehead position. He is one vote on the city council, just like all the others. But he is the face of the city on the arena issue. So to me, 59% approval in the election = very strong approval of his handling of the arena situation.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
SO let me get this straight:

-No NBA=no arena and no NHL possibility for Seattle
-Maloffs still own the team, they are not sold to Hanson, ownership is in limbo

and 3:

Is Sacramento considered a Bay area team and covered on tv/the media and followed by locals?

1)The way the MOU is currently set up, No NBA team, No arena, No NHL (Could it be quickly amended to include verbiage of an expansion franchise by 2015? Sure)

2)Maloofs and Hansen-Ballmer group still have a signed agreement, There has of yet to be a vote on the sale of the franchise, or even vote of relocation. There has been a recommendation to not relocate however. In Limbo would be a good call on that.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Can this be tied back to hockey somehow?

Not really. Provided some miracle doesn't happen:

-There will be no BBall team in Seattle this year.

And that means:

-The new Seattle arena wont start being built this year

And that means:

-There is no way in hell Seattle is getting the Coyotes. (or an expansion team for that matter, as long as there is no BBall team)

So yeah... all quiet on that front.
Question... if Sacramento retains the Kings, and puts up a new arena, might it include an NHL-sized rink? Make it 4 for California? :sarcasm:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Question... if Sacramento retains the Kings, and puts up a new arena, might it include an NHL-sized rink? Make it 4 for California? :sarcasm:

Every arena plan thrown around has had it be hockey-compliant. I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to keep the Kings that they pursue an NHL franchise either through relocation or expansion.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
I hope the owners vote tomorrow or Tuesday. I don't see why they have to wait another week.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I believe if Hansen gets a guarantee of an NBA expansion team by the 2015-2016 season, he will have shovel in the ground. If he has a shovel in the ground by November, Expectation of a new building by 2015-2016. It is actually better for the yotes if the Seattle group gets an NBA expansion team rather than the Kings, Yotes would have 2 years of the seattle market all to itself.

Thought the NBA was pretty clear they didn't want expansion unlike the NHL.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Thought the NBA was pretty clear they didn't want expansion unlike the NHL.

I think there has been conflicting information. (I think Stern said no Expansion, but then Peter Holt said that everything was still on the table). Anyways things might change depending on what kinds of options that Hansen/Ballmer have. Might be nothing, might be something. They are not ones to show too many of their cards.

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
Stern may say there are no plans for expansion, but I'm sure there are some back room deals going on. Can't let an ownership group like Ballmer/Hansen go to waste.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Stern may say there are no plans for expansion, but I'm sure there are some back room deals going on. Can't let an ownership group like Ballmer/Hansen go to waste.

I agree. At the very least Hansen/Ballmer will feed into the revenue sharing plan, and not need take any out.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Kind of an OT question - with Daniels' not doing any Tweeting right now, any of you know any good Twitter feeds with updates on Sea/Sac? Which ones are best aside from Chris Daniels?

ramstoria

Mar 4, 2011
Sacramento
Kind of an OT question - with Daniels' not doing any Tweeting right now, any of you know any good Twitter feeds with updates on Sea/Sac? Which ones are best aside from Chris Daniels?

Aaron Bruski.

;)

edit:

On an unrelated note. Story came out today that the Sacramento owner group has made some key concessions that may have played into the relocation committee's vote. namely, reducing and eliminating revenue their revenue sharing.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2013/...o-kings-ownership-concessions-revenue-sharing

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Tony Bizjak and Ryan Lillis appear to be the 2 guys that are reporting the news and stories from Sactown, without trying to put their own spin of the situations.

Dado

Bottom line - is it fair to say Seattle's hopes of getting an NBA team in the immediate future are now very low?

Shaz

Jan 23, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Bottom line - is it fair to say Seattle's hopes of getting an NBA team in the immediate future are now very low?

Immediate as in next season or immediate as in 1-4 years?

If so then No, I think Hansen/Ballmer have enough clout and ammo to give the NBA an extremely brutal time in court if they aren't given something

I am hoping expansion, as much as I want to see the Sonics next season, I don't necessarily want to nab the Kings, I'd rather the NBA expand back to Seattle and Vancouver

That's a very tall order though and wishful thinking

Morgoth Bauglir

Master Of The Fates Of Arda
Aug 31, 2012
Angband via Utumno
So as the author of the article points out, competitive balance is quickly thrown under the bus when the other owners see a chance to line their own pockets.

Shame on Stern for staging a lockout to revamp the league's economics, and then go MIA.

I don't think it's any secret that the NBA is utterly corrupt. I've been saying it for years.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Yes, BUT if we can get an expansion franchise in the next 3 years, that would be enough to start construction on the arena, which is honestly a better situation for a potential NHL relocation than if the sonics came next year. Would give Yotes 2 years all by themselves.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I don't think it's any secret that the NBA is utterly corrupt. I've been saying it for years.

I know some of us made fun of the NHL for their "this is the hill we'll die on" comment, but you know? There are some hills that should be worth it. If that league is convinced that the only way to sustain their current size and in their current locations is via enhanced revenue sharing, you just don't negotiate that away. One bad year of for the owner's (owners') personal businesses, and the franchise is at stake once again.

Either model is necessary or it isn't.

Morgoth Bauglir

Master Of The Fates Of Arda
Aug 31, 2012
Angband via Utumno
I know some of us made fun of the NHL for their "this is the hill we'll die on" comment, but you know? There are some hills that should be worth it. If that league is convinced that the only way to sustain their current size and in their current locations is via enhanced revenue sharing, you just don't negotiate that away. One bad year of for the owner's (owners') personal businesses, and the franchise is at stake once again.

Either model is necessary or it isn't.

I'm certain it will come back and bite the NBA in the butt at some point. Most likely as a loaded cigar in the mouth of whoever the NEXT NBA Commissioner is when Stern is fat happy and retired counting his millions.

And bear in mind I USED to be an NBA fan. I got turned off in the '90s when it became apparent that it was irredeemably corrupt and no longer a sport but a scripted TV show a la the WWF.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Aaron Bruski.

;)

edit:

On an unrelated note. Story came out today that the Sacramento owner group has made some key concessions that may have played into the relocation committee's vote. namely, reducing and eliminating revenue their revenue sharing.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2013/...o-kings-ownership-concessions-revenue-sharing

Thanks!:) Anyway, here's the Sacramento Bee's story on this item, from the "Gang of Three" minus Lillis:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/06/5398439/sacramento-kings-dallas-ranadive.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad