Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
And the owner?

No one has come out publicly but there have been numerous reports of a group of investors that are working with Hansen to get a team here.

Remember - Hansen started working with the city in May of 2011 and his name didn't become public until the very end of that year (and if had been up to him he would have remained quiet a little bit longer before going public). Just because someone isn't talking to the press about their desires doesn't mean it isn't happening. Obviously, Hansen did a lot of work before anyone knew who he was.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I doubt anyone else (besides Levin) will come forward publicly for the NHL until its a sure thing the arena will happen.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I would like to offer this as a reasonable question to Seattle advocates:

But, first, full disclosure: I believe QC to be the front runner, and that is part of the reason for my question.

However, I do really ask in the spirit of wanting to know how you all think about this:

Let's say PHX has to move this summer. Do you think there is the possibility of a Seattle group purchasing the team, doing whatever needs doing to Key Arena, and getting a staff to support hockey all ready to go before puck drop next fall for the 13-14 season?

Obviously, I am thinking that in the event of a spring '13 move, QC has advantages, because PKP's temp facility is all but ready to go. Ticket sales in QC are already accounted for to some degree, and there is a hockey staff in place ready to run the thing due to the Remparts.

How far behind is Seattle in those areas?

Thanks for helping me get up to speed on Seattle's situation.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

But, first, full disclosure: I believe QC to be the front runner, and that is part of the reason for my question.

However, I do really ask in the spirit of wanting to know how you all think about this:

Let's say PHX has to move this summer. Do you think there is the possibility of a Seattle group purchasing the team, doing whatever needs doing to Key Arena, and getting a staff to support hockey all ready to go before puck drop next fall for the 13-14 season?

Obviously, I am thinking that in the event of a spring '13 move, QC has advantages, because PKP's temp facility is all but ready to go. Ticket sales in QC are already accounted for to some degree, and there is a hockey staff in place ready to run the thing due to the Remparts.

Currently there are discussion right now going on with Hansen and Seattle over improvements for Key arena some of those will be for NHL. Key arena will be ready with the improvements cause it has to be ready to host NBA games for the 13-14 season. If QC were really the front runners and it was a guarantee that the team would go to QC then why the wait for the NHL to approve the sale to QC group and relocation?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I recall Levin saying that he offered support but Hansen wasn't using it, conjecturing that Hansen had someone else in pocket.

I consider that as conjecture until otherwise reported.

I'm not sure the Kings sale saga isn't pointing to another possibility: the NHL determines Seattle WILL pay more for an expansion franchise than would Quebec. Meanwhile, the old Colisee may be a better economic option than Key (even with the suites in Key), and the league may see that as a better option for its overall health.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

IMO the ideal scenario would be for QC to get Phoenix, if it becomes available, and Seattle gets an expansion team when arena is ready. If Seattle somehow gets the Yotes after getting NBA Kings, then they will need to get all those things set up for NBA so possibly setting them up at same time should not be an issue, if that makes sense.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
- It isn't a rumor, which is why it will not die (official PR site of group: http://www.sonicsarena.com/)

- Seattle is a slam dunk sure fire NHL market

- The Coyotes moving there will be a huge success

-the NHL greatly needs a team in the Seattle market. Ignoring the NW for so long has been bad business for the league which has helped keep it well behind other sports leagues in popularity.

The sooner the NHL is in Seattle, the better it is for the sport of hockey.

so, the average ticket price would be in the top ten? and there would be an immediate waiting list to get some of the long sold-out seasons tickets?

i have no doubt that seattle will make a fine home to an nhl team one day. but the potential owners of the nba team are out and proud. if the hockey market is also such a slam dunk, why are investors not similarly leading the public charge right now?

i can only speculate that those who actually have the money to purchase and operate an nhl team in seattle are not as convinced that it is a slam dunk. the city also seems to think its not a slam dunk either, else it would not be offering up a free $80M incentive.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
so, the average ticket price would be in the top ten? and there would be an immediate waiting list to get some of the long sold-out seasons tickets?

i have no doubt that seattle will make a fine home to an nhl team one day. but the potential owners of the nba team are out and proud. if the hockey market is also such a slam dunk, why are investors not similarly leading the public charge right now?

i can only speculate that those who actually have the money to purchase and operate an nhl team in seattle are not as convinced that it is a slam dunk. the city also seems to think its not a slam dunk either, else it would not be offering up a free $80M incentive.

The County is providing the 80m if Seattle gets a NHL team not city. The focus is getting the Sonics back THEN getting a NHL team.

Nothing will happen regards to getting a NHL franchise until its a guarantee that the ARENA will get built. NHL clearly says new arena is needed no discussions regarding getting a NHL franchise will continue until that building is taking care of.

Last edited:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

Your speculation is duly noted. As to why they are not 'out and proud' (which hardly characterizes Hansen by the way) is that maybe they don't want to put the cart before the horse. Seems that would be a prudent business tactic. All in due time.

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Your speculation is duly noted. As to why they are not 'out and proud' (which hardly characterizes Hansen by the way) is that maybe they don't want to put the cart before the horse. Seems that would be a prudent business tactic. All in due time.

Dont you know - unless its in the press it isn't happening. But then again, depending on what the press is saying it may or may not be reliable. See the QC thread - Daly say something positive about Seattle and its dismissed, but Dreger cites something positive (from the same source - the NHL) about QC and the Coyotes relocation there is imminent and that source is right. So it goes with fandom.

We'll all know soon enough, my feeling is once the Kings relo is approved next week we'll start to see more Seattle/NHL info being leaked.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Why does the Potential owner have to shout he wants to bring a team to Seattle? We found out about Hansen the day of the term sheet, he had been working quietly for a year and half to get NBa, why can't hockey owner do the same?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Why does the Potential owner have to shout he wants to bring a team to Seattle? We found out about Hansen the day of the term sheet, he had been working quietly for a year and half to get NBa, why can't hockey owner do the same?

Technically found out sooner when the initial land was purchased.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008

-Probably
-yes

but the potential owners of the nba team are out and proud. if the hockey market is also such a slam dunk, why are investors not similarly leading the public charge right now?

Why would they need to be? Read through the lines and you will figure it out. http://www.sonicsarena.com/

i can only speculate that those who actually have the money to purchase and operate an nhl team in seattle are not as convinced that it is a slam dunk.

Stop speculating and start studying the situation. The answer is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad