Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Interesting, the current host is going to have a 'get to know' the Phoenix Coyotes segment tomorrow. Not really much to talk about in regards to sports now that football is over.

It's a good idea. Here's my quick take on the on-ice Coyotes. The top six is thin in top end talent and there isn't much in the way of bluechip forward prospects (unfortunately for them, this upcoming draft is week in top six forward talent except the top 3 or 4 guys).

The strength of the team is the blueline both from a veteran, youngster and prospect perspective. The goaltending is experienced yet unspectacular. They have a couple good looking goalie prospect in the junior and college ranks though.

The coach, Dave Tippet coaches to these roster strengths and thus consistently has the team in a decent position to make the playoffs including this season. The GM Don Maloney is a good manager. He gets the most out of his small budget.

Bottom line, the team is well suited for a brand new market with a temporary arena -- they have an established program that can roll out a competitive roster despite having a tiny payroll.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
Interesting, the current host is going to have a 'get to know' the Phoenix Coyotes segment tomorrow. Not really much to talk about in regards to sports now that football is over.

Furness is a hockey guy. He is the former play-by-play guy for the Americans and currently does the Root Sports WHL games. If Seattle gets a team, I'd figure he quit the Blazers gig on Comcast and work in Seattle.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Seeing Greg Jamison's name again pinged something in my memory - given Chris Hansen/Seattle's current arena plans but not necessarily an owner and the assumption that Jamison's investment group was not Phx locals.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=46543

A native of the Pacific Northwest, Jamison earned a bachelor’s degree in education from Northwest Nazarene (Idaho) College and a master’s degree in administration from Colorado State University.

That's some nice detective work.

With Hansen and Jamison both involved in Bay Area companies (Valiant & Sharks respectively), perhaps they run in the same circles. It's plausible then that they could have formed a partnership at some point to go after NHL & NBA for Seattle. The Seattle Times article identified Hansen's partner as a "Bellevue man." Do you know though where Jamison actually resides?

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
According to some Seattle city council members, this is indeed the case.

It's a chicken or egg scenario: get arena deal done first and then get both NBA & NHL teams? Or secure NHL & NBA teams first and then commit to building an arena?

IMO, the answer is neither. Hansen must use existing relationships and credibility to concurrently work on getting all three lined up to an agreement-in-principle stage, in order execute each formal contract simultaneously. That is what Hansen is doing right now IMO.

I get the sense that Hansen has a framework for an agreement with the mayor. However, the City of Seattle doesn't have a formal proposal from him because he is waiting on the City of Sacremento to make their decision (coming March 1) on the Kings. If Sacremento is staying, then the New Orleans Hornets are his likely NBA back up plan.

As for the Coyotes, Hansen's partner (whomever that is) could be close to a acquisition framework with Gary Bettman and Bill Daly. But the prospective ownership group can't execute that deal either until the NBA team is closer to be acquired.

Once the teams are sufficiently secured, the City of Seattle will likely get that formal arena proposal from Hansen's group.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

With Hansen and Jamison both involved in Bay Area companies (Valiant & Sharks respectively), perhaps they run in the same circles. It's plausible then that they could have formed a partnership at some point to go after NHL & NBA for Seattle. The Seattle Times article identified Hansen's partner as a "Bellevue man." Do you know though where Jamison actually resides?

I thought the NHL said there were a couple groups interested in buying the team and keeping them there. So i don't think its him thats working with Hansen.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
I thought the NHL said there were a couple groups interested in buying the team and keeping them there. So i don't think its him thats working with Hansen.

Apparently, Jamison is one of those two groups looking to buy and keep the Coyotes in PHX. However, if there is any involvement with Hansen would, that would indicate its all a front, and his actual intentions are to move the team to Seattle.

Sound familiar? **cough clay cough bennett cough** ;)

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

I mentioned/questioned in a post earlier today that getting a relocated Coyotes team for next Season, if these potential owners want that, likely doesn't mean that they want both the NBA and NHL to occupy one of the old Seattle area arenas; that the plan is to have both major leagues occupy the hoped for new arena.

However, here's a flyer... assuming there are these two potential partner owners, both working their respective angles... What would be the possibility that one would bring a relocated NBA team to play at The Key, and the other a relocated Coyotes team to play at the Tacoma Dome. Both with the plan to have both teams playing out of a new arena. Crazy hey!

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
I mentioned/questioned in a post earlier today that getting a relocated Coyotes team for next Season, if these potential owners want that, likely doesn't mean that they want both the NBA and NHL to occupy one of the old Seattle area arenas; that the plan is to have both major leagues occupy the hoped for new arena.

However, here's a flyer... assuming there are these two potential partner owners, both working their respective angles... What would be the possibility that one would bring a relocated NBA team to play at The Key, and the other a relocated Coyotes team to play at the Tacoma Dome. Both with the plan to have both teams playing out of a new arena. Crazy hey!

I think as part of the deal with the City of Seattle, both teams will end up playing at the Key Arena...

Sources close to the ongoing arena negotiations suggest the future of KeyArena is a vital component of any deal.

The City-owned building, on the Seattle Center grounds, would stand to lose significant business if a new arena is constructed in either Seattle or Bellevue, and city leaders are carefully weighing that factor.

That’s part of the reason why negotiations have included potentially using the Key as a temporary home for an NBA or NHL franchise, or both, while a new arena is built.

The cities of Seattle, Bellevue and Tacoma each have their own councils, their own constituents and thus their own agendas. According to that story then, the City of Seattle is using its leverage to get Hansen's partner, the unidentified prospective NHL owner, to agree to use Seattle's Key Arena as the temporary home as well, rather than the Tacoma Dome.

Hopefully, the competing cities don't mess it up for the region as a whole. Bellevue seems to still want to have a go at it...

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/traffic-could-decide-which-city-hosts-new-arena/nHYz6/

LOL Bellevue arena group trying to argue that Seattle can't have the new arena cause of traffic issues (the 4 hour between game rule) And Bellevue would be the better choice.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think as part of the deal with the City of Seattle, both teams will end up playing at the Key Arena...

Sources close to the ongoing arena negotiations suggest the future of KeyArena is a vital component of any deal.

The City-owned building, on the Seattle Center grounds, would stand to lose significant business if a new arena is constructed in either Seattle or Bellevue, and city leaders are carefully weighing that factor.

That’s part of the reason why negotiations have included potentially using the Key as a temporary home for an NBA or NHL franchise, or both, while a new arena is built.

The cities of Seattle, Bellevue and Tacoma each have their own councils, their own constituents and thus their own agendas. According to that story then, the City of Seattle is using its leverage to get Hansen's partner, the unidentified prospective NHL owner, to agree to use Seattle's Key Arena as the temporary home as well, rather than the Tacoma Dome.

Hopefully, the competing cities don't mess it up for the region as a whole. Bellevue seems to still want to have a go at it...

It mentions NBA or NHL or both to use the Key that sounds like either one maybe both. Remember NHL still has to allow the use of the Key. It seems Bellevue group is using Kiro TV and Brock Huard as their media people. I don't think Bellevue group wants to put themselves into a situation where they are stuck with it when the Seattle arena is already been approved and funded. i think they are waiting until the Seattle arena doesn't happen before they get going.

Last edited:

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
It mentions NBA or NHL or both to use the Key that sounds like either one maybe both. Remember NHL still has to allow the use of the Key. It seems Bellevue group is using Kiro TV and Brock Huard as their media people. I don't think Bellevue group wants to put themselves into a situation where they are stuck with it when the Seattle arena is already been approved and funded. i think they are waiting until the Seattle arena doesn't happen before they get going.

Bellevue using Kiro makes sense since KIRO is a CBS affiliate and not NBC. The leading city, Seattle, should have KING on their side since KING, though Belo owned, is an NBC (Comcast) affiliate. NBC/Comcast stands to gain the most from this Seattle deal going through, since getting an NHL team would mean big league Seattle relevant content for Comcast SportsNet NorthWest. And thus, Comcast will see to it ($$$) that the NHL accepts Seattle's KeyArena as the temporary home, IMO.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017470346_arena10m.html?cmpid=2727

Council members get briefing on arena proposal, minus details

Council member Licata -> skeptical that no public funds would be used.

I think hes for it as long as it does not use public funds.

council member Jean Godden -> concerned on traffic and bonds

Hard to say which way she'll go.

While all concerns are legit since they don't know what the details would be on the funding proposal so it'll be hard to say which way they will end up going.

Last edited:

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017470346_arena10m.html?cmpid=2727

While all concerns are legit since they don't know what the details would be on the funding proposal so it'll be hard to say which way they will end up going.

I found this to be the most interesting bit...

...financing ideas that include a wholly owned broadcast network, such as ones run by the New York Yankees in baseball and Texas Longhorns in college football.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I found this to be the most interesting bit...

...financing ideas that include a wholly owned broadcast network, such as ones run by the New York Yankees in baseball and Texas Longhorns in college football.

Might be part of the regional sports network that is being talked about. I don't care who votes yes or not as long as we have 5 yes votes.

If i was a council member of course I'll be concern. If they haven't shown me the proposal how would i know if it address my concerns.

Last edited:

matCH penalty

May 25, 2011
The Kings came back to beat the Thunder in dramatic fashion. Should they abdicate to Seattle, it could be interesting. They're still bad, but they showed some heart. So, Seattle folks. If the Sonics come back, how do your rivalries unfurl? Portland is automatic of course, but what about Utah and Denver? Still hate them as much as before?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Kings came back to beat the Thunder in dramatic fashion. Should they abdicate to Seattle, it could be interesting. They're still bad, but they showed some heart. So, Seattle folks. If the Sonics come back, how do your rivalries unfurl? Portland is automatic of course, but what about Utah and Denver? Still hate them as much as before?

If i draw interest into watching the sport again i think it'll probably be only portland.

Dowisetrepla

Apr 29, 2009
Washington State

There's some local politics involved here too, Licata is quite likely to fun for Mayor next year. So he's 1) perhaps reluctant to support any cause that may benefit the incumbent McGinn, and 2) harp on the "no public funds" card.

As for Godden, she's been around so long she probably saw the original Seattle Metropolitans in person...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There's some local politics involved here too, Licata is quite likely to fun for Mayor next year. So he's 1) perhaps reluctant to support any cause that may benefit the incumbent McGinn, and 2) harp on the "no public funds" card.

As for Godden, she's been around so long she probably saw the original Seattle Metropolitans in person...

Even so. But public funds still is still a legit concern. How is he to know with out seen the proposal if there actually public funds being used or not. I believe he is for it as long as public funds aren't being used.

Remember if this failures and arena goes to Bellevue. It gives a huge black eye to the city and will draw people away that would normally wanted to invest into the city. Those people will just take their money and go somewhere else. Even Licata voting no would potential be used against him if he's running for mayor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad