Metro Division Parity.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
After about 20 games, most teams know where their at. For teams in the metropolitan division, the headaches must be insane.

8 teams in the division are all within 5 points, the top 7 teams are within 3 points,
and 3 teams at the top are tied in points.

NHL Standings - 2016-2017 Regular Season Standings

Other divisions are all way more dispersed.

First of all, who do you think finds success in the metro? Will New Jersey actually hold on, as they weren't expected to be so good?

As a fan, neutral to the metro division, I find it fascinating to follow the division battle, but if you're a fan of a metro team, is it even fun being in a division that's such a bloodbath?

Reactions: MinJaBen

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
After about 20 games, most teams know where their at. For teams in the metropolitan division, the headaches must be insane.

8 teams in the division are all within 5 points, the top 7 teams are within 3 points,
and 3 teams at the top are tied in points.

NHL Standings - 2016-2017 Regular Season Standings

Other divisions are all way more dispersed.

First of all, who do you think finds success in the metro? Will New Jersey actually hold on, as they weren't expected to be so good?

As a fan, neutral to the metro division, I find it fascinating to follow the division battle, but if you're a fan of a metro team, is it even fun being in a division that's such a bloodbath?

Parity or weak year? I'm going with the latter

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I thought we already had a party but hey, I'm down for round two

dancing-devils-fans-stadium-series-hockey-fans-hockey-fan-gif.gif

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
For me the Metro has been going exactly like i thought it would - apart from NJ.

Isles have been playing well, and probably should have even more points if not for inconsistent goaltending, i was pretty confident they'd make the playoffs this year. Caps are not nearly as good as they were last year and it shows. Rangers are up and down but still capable. Canes are fighting in the bubble, Columbus is playing very ordinary hockey for them but still winning on a consistent basis. Pens are hungover from 2 cups. Philly has a lot of good pieces but some things that drag them down.

No surprises there at all.

And then there's NJ, that i had no expectations for, but they've had a lot better start than i anticipated.

How will the Metro shape up? Well i think Columbus is pretty safe bet to finish in the top 3, they have a pretty strong ability to routinely win games. Pens i think will climb up eventually. I think Isles can finish top 3 as well as their offensive ability is through the roof, and then the Caps, Rangers and Canes battle it out for the WC's.

So yeah, i still expect the Devils to fall down. They'll be in that battle for a WC spot because of the good start, but i think the rookies will start regressing in the 2nd half, i don't expect guys like Gibbons to continue that scoring pace, and im still not a fan of the Devils defensively, i think they'll continue giving up goals but the scoring will dry up some.

And it's funny how you look at the standings now and see them leading the division, but then you realize there's 3 teams out of the playoffs with 22 points, only 3 less than what the Devils currently have. Things could change pretty quickly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not sure about everyone else, but the Flyers have had a very odd start to the schedule. Only 4 games in their first 21 are against West teams, and only 1 against a divisional opponent....beat Caps 8-2.

The point is, divisional games will likely create more of a spread...the old 4 point game.

What's crazy is the 17 games from this Wednesday till Dec 31, the Flyers still only have 4 divisional games. So that will be 0nly 5 divisional games out of their first 38 games.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The thing about NJ is that Zacha and Henrique are off to terrible starts and Johansson will be back soon. NJ has a lot of depth up front. If the rookies falter there are veterans who have proven to be big producing players that can step up. I don't expect them to take the division however, they will fall.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't know about other Metro teams, but the Caps have only played 5 of their 20 games against their Metro division rivals. When the Metro teams start playing each other more often, those so-called 4 point pivotal games will create some separation inside the division.

Reactions: Tripod

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
It’s been a tight division for a few years. But there were some teams you could count out. Not this year, though. There is no order of teams final rankings that would surprise me.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Columbus is playing very ordinary hockey for them but still winning on a consistent basis.

Why do people keep saying this?

Columbus is 2nd in the league in SVA 5v5 xGF%. They are playing championship hockey and getting goaltending, but are only middle of the pack in shooting percentage.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
best division in hockey...get ready for a crazy season, almost every team in the division has a real chance at playoffs
I think the Metro has been fun to watch, but the Central will still the toughest division by the end of the year, if it isn't already. As almost every team is in the same boat as the Metro.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Why do people keep saying this?

Columbus is 2nd in the league in SVA 5v5 xGF%. They are playing championship hockey and getting goaltending, but are only middle of the pack in shooting percentage.

Because scoring is pretty important part of hockey. They've averaged less than 2 goals per game over their last 7 games. They can do a lot better than that. And for me personally, i've seen maybe 6-7 games and i thought they played to their potential once or twice.

Point was, when they get their offense rolling again, they're probably going to take a lead in the division.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I think the Metro has been fun to watch, but the Central will still the toughest division by the end of the year, if it isn't already. As almost every team is in the same boat as the Metro.

The central hasn't been the toughest division in hockey in over 2 seasons and still isn't.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I don't they've played that many intra-division, it was predictable that the metro would be a competitive division but once they start playing each other more I think we'll start to see that close spread dissipate. Also there may be parity but am I wrong in saying it's more just a factor of the teams being weak-ish and not great, Pittsburgh and Washington for example are trending towards underpreforming based on their respective seasons in 16/17

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The metro had 3 of the top 4 teams in the league last year and the pens and jackets got f***ed having to play round 1. The metro is the best division this year and last year and the previous few have been close.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
As a Kings fan, I know you can't put much stock in OT or SO results. Small sample size, taking rare instances of regulation play and giving extra points for winning in those instances, and it can help mask issues from 60 minutes of normal hockey. Three distinct events in a hockey game today. Regulation, OT, and the SO, all very different. Those OT/SO winner points count in reality, so you get them rather than not get them if you can, but the record in regulation is the key.

NYI, 10-7-3
NJ, 8-5-7
Car, 8-6-5
Clb, 7-7-7
Pit, 7-8-7
NYR, 8-9-4
Phi, 7-8-5
Was, 7-10-5

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There are a lot of teams in striking distance of the wildcard right now and it’s been a high scoring year. I’m sure Bettman is in hog heaven.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Should be a fun race down the stretch. I don't see New Jersey keeping the division lead but I figure they should make the playoffs this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad