Recalled/Assigned: Mete sent to the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
As soon as the GM comes up with a new intangible that is lacking. :sarcasm:

I don't get this quote by Julien:

TRANSLATION: "What he brings offensively, is extraordinary, however, defensively, he has a lot to improve upon." This is why Victor Mete was sent to the Laval Rocket, explained Claude Julien.

« Ce qu’il apporte offensivement, c’est extraordinaire, mais défensivement, il a encore beaucoup à améliorer. » Voilà pourquoi Victor Mete a été cédé au @RocketLaval, a expliqué Claude Julien.

49 games in 2017-18: 7 assists
23 games this season: 4 assists

This is what Julien calls "extraordinary"? :amazed:

He is an example of being in the NHL too soon. I believe it was WTK that said he was surviving at the NHL level and for a small speedy guy he needs to do more than just that. He is either unable to or does not have the confidence to try and create things at the NHL level. I hope that he is able to do well at the AHL level and not get recalled right away, give him some time in Laval.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does he have a terrible shot or does he lack confidence to shoot? He's obviously going to be much faster than many of the players in the AHL, he will have more time and space and he might want to shoot more. I always see him being apprehensive in the NHL, he seems not to want to shoot from the point.

His shot lacks velocity and he when he gets into scoring areas, he typically hits the goalies chest. His primary focus is looking to pass and he does have very good vision. I have no issues with his offensive game, skating, and his vision. His shot is a bit of an issue but it's not a huge concern. His reliability in his own end and lack of strength is though

Reactions: Tim Wallach

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
His shot lacks velocity and he when he gets into scoring areas, he typically hits the goalies chest. His primary focus is looking to pass and he does have very good vision. I have no issues with his offensive game, skating, and his vision. His shot is a bit of an issue but it's not a huge concern. His reliability in his own end and lack of strength is though
He was rushed to the NHL and unlike a guy like Kotka he didn’t have the luxury of being sheltered. He was prime time right away and it exposed him so to speak. I never see him as being particularly bad at anything but just he just needs a little bit of seasoning to try and work on every area of his game without pressure.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was rushed to the NHL and unlike a guy like Kotka he didn’t have the luxury of being sheltered. He was prime time right away and it exposed him so to speak. I never see him as being particularly bad at anything but just he just needs a little bit of seasoning to try and work on every area of his game without pressure.

I liked what I saw when he was playing with Weber and flying around out there. We even used him on our PP to move the puck. But I did notice very quickly how he was outmatched in terms of physical strength in his own end.

So yeah, I agree with being rushed into the NHL but he did show us reasons to keep him at the beginning of the year. But my concerns in his overall game remain the same weather we rushed him or not.

- Offensive skills and Vision: Well above Average
- Skating: Elite level
- D Zone reliability: Well below Average

I value shut down ability when I look at defenseman. He needs to get stronger and realize the value to his game is to be that player he showed us from the get go. You can look good at what your good at but you need to produce if you measure up to this value (it's early yet in terms of this). But if you are a liability in your own end, you can lose a game for us. He has a tough hill to climb due to his size/strength issues for a NHL defenseman.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site

I agree, but I think Kotka would benefit more away from the NHL too imo.

Confidence needs to come back, thus the AHL

Should have been there from the beginning. I hope the kid stays there for the rest of the year and finds his game again. I don't know exactly what kind of D Mete is after watching him struggle to keep his head above water in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As soon as the GM comes up with a new intangible that is lacking. :sarcasm:

I don't get this quote by Julien:

TRANSLATION: "What he brings offensively, is extraordinary, however, defensively, he has a lot to improve upon." This is why Victor Mete was sent to the Laval Rocket, explained Claude Julien.

« Ce qu’il apporte offensivement, c’est extraordinaire, mais défensivement, il a encore beaucoup à améliorer. » Voilà pourquoi Victor Mete a été cédé au @RocketLaval, a expliqué Claude Julien.

49 games in 2017-18: 7 assists
23 games this season: 4 assists

This is what Julien calls "extraordinary"? :amazed:

Mete creates a lot of chances for our team though, he just doesnt convert.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'm on the fence about it since he is better than a number of guys that are left behind but if the time can be used to improve his game then it could well be worth it.

durojean

May 29, 2007
I feel that the idea that Mete will be good offensively in the NHL is a mistake. He was not an offensive d-man in junior so why expect that at a bigger level.

I always viewed him as a poor man Vlasic. Not the bigger guy but when he gets to touch the puck in his zone, he is able to get it out constantly.

I feel like removing him from the Habs D line will slow us even more and it won't be benefical for the team.

Plus the fact that Julien seems to be mad at Reilly for some thing while he is still our third best defensemen.

The moves made on don't make sense in the last 3 weeks and it shows on the ice. We started losing when we started playing too much with our pairing.

I really don't like the recent decisions by the team on the defensive side of the game.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If lets say he plays 20 ahl games, how many points do you expect from him?
I would say 13 pts is good
I wouldn't really care about that because it is not the only key to development, I want to hear that is getting 1st wave pp and pk duties and doing well at both. The points will come but excelling at other aspects of the game will help him get there. He needed more time to develop and it shows, it was not the greatest management decision (desperation) to have him in the league this quickly.

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
I feel that the idea that Mete will be good offensively in the NHL is a mistake. He was not an offensive d-man in junior so why expect that at a bigger level.

I always viewed him as a poor man Vlasic. Not the bigger guy but when he gets to touch the puck in his zone, he is able to get it out constantly.

I feel like removing him from the Habs D line will slow us even more and it won't be benefical for the team.

Plus the fact that Julien seems to be mad at Reilly for some thing while he is still our third best defensemen.

The moves made on don't make sense in the last 3 weeks and it shows on the ice. We started losing when we started playing too much with our pairing.

I really don't like the recent decisions by the team on the defensive side of the game.

In London, he had more points that first rounder Juolevi....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wouldn't really care about that because it is not the only key to development, I want to hear that is getting 1st wave pp and pk duties and doing well at both. The points will come but excelling at other aspects of the game will help him get there. He needed more time to develop and it shows, it was not the greatest management decision (desperation) to have him in the league this quickly.

He's got advanced skating ability and good IQ -- it's a great foundation from where he can build. Like you, I'm more concerned with him getting the TOI and game situations rather than the stats he racks up.

Reactions: OldCraig71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad