Music: Metallica's Load 20 years later

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Metallica "sold out" by bringing in Bob Rock to produced the Black Album IMO

Metallica sold out when they wrote "Fade to Black" (was too soft).
Metallica sold out when they made a music video for "One."
Metallica sold out when they brought in Bob Rock for the Black Album (too radio friendly) and especially with "Nothing Else Matters" (extremely soft).
Metallica sold out when they cut their hair and made a couple hard rock albums.
Metallica sold out when they went after Napster.
Metallica sold out when they made a documentary about their "therapy" and the making of St. Anger.

Any others that I missed? Metallica has been selling out according to people since day 1. Who cares? You either like the music or you don't.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Second album is "day 1?" Okay then. :laugh:

Metallica has been putting marketability and commercial success above their musical integrity for a while now.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY

Metallica has been putting marketability and commercial success above their musical integrity for a while now.

Fine, since 1984. Better? Either way, it's long before the vast majority of people say that their music quality declined. There are people out there who say that Kill Em All was Metallica's only good album. Others say that only the ones with Cliff Burton. Others say the first three plus Justice. Others will include the Black Album, but won't include the Loads. Some say that they liked the loads, but hate St. Anger. Then there's Death Magnetic.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

You can't be serious. Metallica is well known for doing what they want. Not putting out stuff that sacrifices integrity for commercial success.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Load and Reload and St Anger are all hot garbage. Thought that then and still do now. People say they sold out with the Black Album but I actually enjoyed that one.
Liked their first 4 better.

And loved their return to form with Death Magnetic.

I don't count Lulu as a Metallic album, they did a favor for Lou Reed and made themselves look like Jackasses in doing so.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
20 years later, Load is still the first Metallica album I did not buy. Didn't really care for the Black album before it, and they appeared to be trending farther away from what I like to listen to.

I didn't change my mind because they got richer, I changed my mind because they stopped playing metal.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I didn't like the sound shift that started in Black Album(though Black Album still had enough of the old sound to work for me).

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Still love Load to this day, only songs I skip are Mama Said and Thorn Within. I would take Load and Reload over Black Album every time.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Load and Reload and St Anger are all hot garbage. Thought that then and still do now. People say they sold out with the Black Album but I actually enjoyed that one.
Liked their first 4 better.

And loved their return to form with Death Magnetic.

I don't count Lulu as a Metallic album, they did a favor for Lou Reed and made themselves look like Jackasses in doing so.

I enjoy Death Magnetic, but it's the true sellout album.

They only did it to try and appease the thrashers, knowing full well they'll never be happy.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Bands only sellout if they put out an album I hate. So obviously the answer is St. Angry Birds.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Load is a solid album. People hate on it because "Metallica Sold Out," but if you look at it on its own it's definitely an above average hard rock album.

Agreed.. there's a contingent of fans who feel that everything after Kill 'em All was a continuous sell out.. but bands change & age. I don't know why a fan would want a band to release essentially the same album over & over for 30 years but.. It's all subjective I guess.

My opinion, Metallica's best years came in the late 8os-early 90s w/their Puppets-And Justice for All-Black stretch.. But like I said, purely subjective. And I also give Load an above average B- type grade.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Nothing, unless you make money a priority over making good music. Which Metallica has.

Making "good" music is subjective. And you have it backwards. Metallica has always been known to make the kind of music they want. Not what they think will make money. Metallica makes their money by touring, along with most other bands these days.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
What a stupid argument.

No kidding.

Basically any successful musician/artist is a sellout because they make their money by playing music, therefore must be a sell out?

What makes you think the guys in Metallica wouldn't be making music/playing if they never became successful?

I guess I'm just truer to being a musician because I play guitar at my house and make NO money at it! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad