Confirmed with Link: Messier leaves Rangers

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
Thank god he's gone. I don't want him to become the next GM just because he's Mark Messier. I wish him well with the Bronx Armory thing.

I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that we want Gorton to be our next G.M. . Perhaps this is for the best because it will just make things less complicating when that time comes. You would think that it would be fairly soon.

Drewbackatu*

I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that we want Gorton to be our next G.M. . Perhaps this is for the best because it will just make things less complicating when that time comes. You would think that it would be fairly soon.

Yep because if Messier were still here when "the teflon gm" retires and he didn't get that job as well, he would need 2 boxes of kleenex!

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
He's hockey royalty, but I wasn't a fan of grooming him based on name alone. I thought he wanted to be closer to home with his young kids. Then he showed up in the coaching race. Sorry Mark, no time for on the job training. Go somewhere else and gain that experience and maybe we'll talk.

And I have nothing against him leaving now, maybe he's realizing he'll get a better shot outside NY first.

I never met Mess. Met Graves and other Rangers, always good experiences. I met Dave Maloney and George Mcphee in 1987. Dave was retired, George was injured(no shock) sitting in the stands few rows away from one another. Both signed my yearbook but were not happy about it. Can't blame them, they were there to watch the game.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Exactly. This is why I'm happy he's gone. This will make the eventual stepping down of Sather much easier. Gorton will now probably be announced as the next GM in the same press conference as Sather's resigning instead of having a whole big spiel on who the next GM is.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Love the stuff posted Puck. :) I agree. The guys have to gear up and goooo!

Anyway,In repsonse to Jonathan., Kovalchuk was the worst I met. Just didn't want anything to do with the fans.

Girardi was the best. Got a handshake and talked about hockey and life. Boyle is a cool dude too.

As much as I dislike Phil Simms, he is one of the best.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
You currently have a job in Department A. You suddenly apply and interview for a higher level position in Department B. You don't get said job and quit your existing position to pursue something completely unrelated to either A or B. Pretty strong indication that you didn't have passion for A or B in the first place.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Lets not forget, that he's essentially quitting his job with the Rangers so he's forfeiting whatever he was being paid (im pretty sure he could afford it, but still). Knowing Dolan and how he throws around money in the organization im sure hes giving up a pretty hefty salary...

Sounds like sour grapes to me however you want to sugar coat it.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
I've heard numerous reports from people who met him who said he's a jerk. While I appreciate what he did for us as a player, I won't mourn his departure from management.

Allow me to share my two Messier experiences.

1-

At an open practice when they had the facility up in Rye, NY, my family decided to humor my younger brother and I by taking us up there. We arrived quite later than we had thought, and missed the practice session, but thankfully we still well within time to catch he players leaving to get autographs.

I'll never forget Beezer coming out in his Volvo, stopping and telling everyone "Guys, I am SO sorry! I have an engagement I have to get to, and just do not have time today to hang around and sign anything. I truly appreciate your support. I hope you all understand." Needless to say we were all shocked that he would feel the need to even explain himself to us, and a steady stream of "thanks beezer!" "have fun!", etc etc flowed from everyone there. It was so nice to see that he truly appreciated all of us.

Shortly there after, a black bentley, which was being held up by Beezer being so kind, raced passed everyone, missing three kids playing rollerhockey by just feet. It was Messier. He couldn't be bothered with saying a word. I cannot stress to you how close he came to killing or maiming those kids.

2-

I was in NYC walking down by Chelsea Piers when I noticed two familiar faces. It was Brian Leetch and His Royal Doucheness.

I saw a little boy and his father near them. He couldn't have been older than 8-10. He ran up to the both of them so absolutely excited. They were obviously two of his heroes. Leetch stopped to talk to the young boy and sign an autograph while Messier continued to walk away. After a few moments, he turned and shouted "We don't have time for this ****, Brian. Let's go!". You could see the kids eyes tearing up a little. Both Myself and the father of the boy called him out. My exact words were "It's pretty gutless to make a young kid like this feel so bad. You're a joke." Brian, being the decent man he was, thoroughly apologized for Messier's actions and off they went.

I am glad that piece of trash is gone.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

1-

At an open practice when they had the facility up in Rye, NY, my family decided to humor my younger brother and I by taking us up there. We arrived quite later than we had thought, and missed the practice session, but thankfully we still well within time to catch he players leaving to get autographs.

I'll never forget Beezer coming out in his Volvo, stopping and telling everyone "Guys, I am SO sorry! I have an engagement I have to get to, and just do not have time today to hang around and sign anything. I truly appreciate your support. I hope you all understand." Needless to say we were all shocked that he would feel the need to even explain himself to us, and a steady stream of "thanks beezer!" "have fun!", etc etc flowed from everyone there. It was so nice to see that he truly appreciated all of us.

Shortly there after, a black bentley, which was being held up by Beezer being so kind, raced passed everyone, missing three kids playing rollerhockey by just feet. It was Messier. He couldn't be bothered with saying a word. I cannot stress to you how close he came to killing or maiming those kids.

2-

I was in NYC walking down by Chelsea Piers when I noticed two familiar faces. It was Brian Leetch and His Royal Doucheness.

I saw a little boy and his father near them. He couldn't have been older than 8-10. He ran up to the both of them so absolutely excited. They were obviously two of his heroes. Leetch stopped to talk to the young boy and sign an autograph while Messier continued to walk away. After a few moments, he turned and shouted "We don't have time for this ****, Brian. Let's go!". You could see the kids eyes tearing up a little. Both Myself and the father of the boy called him out. My exact words were "It's pretty gutless to make a young kid like this feel so bad. You're a joke." Brian, being the decent man he was, thoroughly apologized for Messier's actions and off they went.

I am glad that piece of trash is gone.

Wow.

Sure its just a couple of encounters but from what im hearing about the guy (and deriving from his actions with the Rangers lately), he seems very self-absorbed.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

I actually forgot all about Mess's "connection" or "arrangement" to the upcoming GM job. This coaching interview and subsequent "no thanks" may have been the best thing for the Rangers long term.

Ecstatic that Mess is pissed and hopefully burning a bridge here. Talk about a guy falling from grace with some of his fans.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Oh well. Best of luck to Mess in his Brooklyn endeavors.

I wonder if this burns all future bridges with potential NYR positions/careers for Mess? Maybe he himself will choose to never come back.

An odd way to end for sure.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
If this means that it prevents or at least severely hinders him from competing for the GM job in a couple years; I think we dodged a bullet.

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA
If this means that it prevents or at least severely hinders him from competing for the GM job in a couple years; I think we dodged a bullet.

Yeah hopefully he's pissed enough not to even try and come back and steal the GM seat out from under Gorton.

Good riddance.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

1-

Really makes you think....

Originally Posted by puckrush View Post
A bounce here and there and history looks a lot different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad