Messi announces intent to play MLS - Inter Miami

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Lionel Messi says he is coming to Inter Miami and joining Major League Soccer.

After months of speculation, Messi announced his decision Wednesday to join a Miami franchise that has been led by another global soccer icon in David Beckham since its inception but has yet to make any real splashes on the field.

That likely will soon change. One of Inter Miami's owners, Jorge Mas, tweeted out a photo of a darkly silhouetted Messi jersey shortly before the Argentinian great revealed his decision in interviews with Spanish news outlets Mundo Deportivo and Sport.

Messi’s decision to play in the U.S. might be the biggest boost ever for American soccer on the pro stage. Some of the game’s biggest names — Pele, Thierry Henry, Beckham himself — have come to the U.S. toward the end of their careers, but landing a player still no worse than near the pinnacle of his game and just a few months removed from hoisting a World Cup is simply huge.

(If this post is redundant, please delete...)

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It's a pity, but I do understand his desire to get his future sorted out and lack of patience for Barcelona to sort things out.

Huge coup for MLS obviously

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It’s the Riqui effect. Riqui goes to MLS and look who follows. Messi wanted to join the Galaxy, but Riqui didn’t want any hangers on and felt Messi was too old. I‘m told that Riqui is looking to get the Galaxy to sign Traore, Busquets, Alba, Mina and Aubameyang on free transfers as well as bringing Araujo back on loan.

It's a pity, but I do understand his desire to get his future sorted out and lack of patience for Barcelona to sort things out.

Huge coup for MLS obviously

I disagree depending on when he intends to start with MLS. Barca’s season literally just finished, the fiscal year ends this month and the window opens in July. I think the expectation of being able to get it over the line in short order was wrong, especially when in the player’s own words he seemingly understood the situation. That said I think there were other considerations Messi had on a personal level with regards to get the family settled (like getting the kids in school). At the end of the day I get it, but I also might have done it differently were I truly motivated to go back to Barcelona. I’m not so sure the latter was true here.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I disagree depending on when he intends to start with MLS. Barca’s season literally just finished, the fiscal year ends this month and the window opens in July. I think the expectation of being able to get it over the line in short order was wrong, especially when in the player’s own words he seemingly understood the situation. That said I think there were other considerations Messi had on a personal level with regards to get the family settled (like getting the kids in school). At the end of the day I get it, but I also might have done it differently were I truly motivated to go back to Barcelona. I’m not so sure the latter was true here.

In a vacuum, sure, but when someone tries your patience enough times, it becomes shorter and shorter. He didn't want to be left holding the bag and his trust had been eroded enough. I think he was motivated, but it's like a relationship, if the other side just jerks you around and isn't showing their own motivation (through actions, not words), you move on.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He basically said he hated his time in France he was miserable and that affected his family. When shit hit fan 2 years ago only PSG was a viable option. He wasnt going to risk it again.... having to play where he really doesnt want to be.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
In a vacuum, sure, but when someone tries your patience enough times, it becomes shorter and shorter. He didn't want to be left holding the bag and his trust had been eroded enough. I think he was motivated, but it's like a relationship, if the other side just jerks you around and isn't showing their own motivation (through actions, not words), you move on.

Enough times? We‘re talking about once instance and as I’ve said before, newsflash Leo, when you’re on a massive contract you’re contributing to the problem. What happened to “I’d have played for free”?

It’s like I said, I see it somewhat from his side, but your post is rather hyperbolic.

He basically said he hated his time in France he was miserable and that affected his family. When shit hit fan 2 years ago only PSG was a viable option. He wasnt going to risk it again.... having to play where he really doesnt want to be.

He said he had multiple options apart from Barca, MLS and Saudi Arabia. Do you think MLS is going to balk at bringing him in a month from now? I don’t.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Enough times? We‘re talking about once instance and as I’ve said before, newsflash Leo, when you’re on a massive contract you’re contributing to the problem. What happened to “I’d have played for free”?

You see it as one instance. I have perhaps a more active imagination and can imagine the long drawn out process of many episodes contained within that whole situation :dunno:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I am curious to what Apple TV is giving him.
Money.

He also said his family got accustomed to it, his kids made friends in school etc.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You see it as one instance. I have perhaps a more active imagination and can imagine the long drawn out process of many episodes contained within that whole situation :dunno:

That’s fine, but it’s one instance overall going back to 2021 and I think you’d have heard about “many episodes” were there many. Clearly he‘s still upset about it and that’s fine, though I don’t buy everything from his camp because there are two sides to every story and clearly some spin from his side. I just think he’s overreacted to the whole situation and could have been more patient. I actually would have given Barca a hard date to get things over the line. It just wouldn’t have been June 7th and would have been more like July 7th. That said, like I said yesterday, I understand it from his side too. I understand wanting to come to a conclusion sooner rather than later because you’ve got to get not only yourself settled in Miami, but also your kids. You’ve got to get them enrolled into schools.

• Haha
Reactions: bluesfan94

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He said he had multiple options apart from Barca, MLS and Saudi Arabia. Do you think MLS is going to balk at bringing him in a month from now? I don’t.

Probably doesnt want to uproot his family for a year or two before the jump abroad. Him mentioning family a few times says it all really. I also read it was either barca or out of europe so that checks out.

I wouldnt think so but Barca couldnt guarantee him anything. Even by AUgust 31st which is pretty crazy considering they talked the talk. The MLS window closes August 2nd...

He also said his family got accustomed to it, his kids made friends in school etc.
I said he was miserable.... prolly just didnt like playing for PSG as opposed to issue with the city.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As I mentioned before that all of that makes sense, Miami is like Valencia, but with guns. He'll fit fine with all the Cuban and Latino immigrants/cultures. France and Russia in particular probably have some of the most unique cultures on the planet even if one is close to Spain and the other is on the same continent.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The big appeal of Miami if I was him is that much like LA you get used to seeing famous people around and at some point it just isn't a very big deal. So he'll be able to go around in public without being swarmed by 10 people even when people know who he is. Even when people recognize him he won't have to deal with people bugging out anymore.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The big appeal of Miami if I was him is that much like LA you get used to seeing famous people around and at some point it just isn't a very big deal. So he'll be able to go around in public without being swarmed by 10 people even when people know who he is. Even when people recognize him he won't have to deal with people bugging out anymore.
He also doesn’t have to speak English in Miami.

And I mean this in the nicest way possible, if I ever have to go back to Miami, I am brushing up on my Spanish first.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

I wouldn’t be so sure. He will get a ton of attention in public.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Another good place for that is Canada

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Probably doesnt want to uproot his family for a year or two before the jump abroad. Him mentioning family a few times says it all really. I also read it was either barca or out of europe so that checks out.

I wouldnt think so but Barca couldnt guarantee him anything. Even by AUgust 31st which is pretty crazy considering they talked the talk. The MLS window closes August 2nd...

I doubt it. I don’t think there’s much by way of uprooting when you have a home in the city, know the city and have already had your kids enrolled into schools there. He literally said yesterday that he plans to retire there. I think it really came down to wanting things done and dusted sooner rather than later and not trusting Barca could get it over the line. Like I said, totally understandable, but I think he could have given it more time. I think he wanted to ensure he could get in his Summer holiday and still have time to get the family settled.

Right, but that was then and this is now. I still don’t fully understand how the club didn’t sort it out in 2021 and I would have done things very differently back then. Anyway, this is why were I Messi I give the club a hard date. It’s common in the real world, though generally coming from the employer and quite probably less common in a post-covid world. If they did and it was June 7th, then I don’t think that was realistic and you shouldn’t have even bothered really.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Damn dude in LA we don't do that. Time for some armed security.

Same thing happened when Argentina was staying at a hotel in Jersey City before their friendly at RBA.

I think Messi and Ronaldo really transcend that level of celebrity and are in a league of their own. It’s one thing for Kelly from Iowa who moved to NYC and sees Jennifer Anniston at a coffee shop in Manhattan. She might play it cool or at most ask for a quick picture.

In Miami, there are plenty of Latinos who immigrated here or are born and bred in South Florida but are very much still culturally their own people. They’re gonna want to see Leo. The passion that their culture brings for this sport is amazing.

But yeah, might be a good idea to walk around with a body guard or two.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I doubt it. I don’t think there’s much by way of uprooting when you have a home in the city, know the city and have already had your kids enrolled into schools there. He literally said yesterday that he plans to retire there. I think it really came down to wanting things done and dusted sooner rather than later and not trusting Barca could get it over the line. Like I said, totally understandable, but I think he could have given it more time. I think he wanted to ensure he could get in his Summer holiday and still have time to get the family settled.

Right, but that was then and this is now. I still don’t fully understand how the club didn’t sort it out in 2021 and I would have done things very differently back then. Anyway, this is why were I Messi I give the club a hard date. It’s common in the real world, though generally coming from the employer and quite probably less common in a post-covid world. If they did and it was June 7th, then I don’t think that was realistic and you shouldn’t have even bothered really.
I meant uprooting youre life in another city in Europe. Not barca where he wants to be. Say, Barca dont get it over the line and now its August 2nd. Miami is no longer an option. That leaves Saudi or another place in Europe for 2 years then Miami?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I meant uprooting youre life in another city in Europe. Not barca where he wants to be. Say, Barca dont get it over the line and now its August 2nd. Miami is no longer an option. That leaves Saudi or another place in Europe for 2 years then Miami?

Gotcha. Still if you’re seriously considering Barca and Inter Miami is your other option, pick a hard date that might work for Barca assuming you’re serious about going there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is this the biggest signing in North American sport history?
Specifically within the sport, based on the reaction in media so far, it’s not bigger than Beckham, but it’s definitely the biggest one since.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Gotcha. Still if you’re seriously considering Barca and Inter Miami is your other option, pick a hard date that might work for Barca assuming you’re serious about going there.
I would agree hell Barca were merely asking for weeks. Its understandable he doesnt have the stomach for it. This isnt what I would've done but I understand it. ( which I think we agree on)

Reactions: les Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad