OT: Merry Christmas HFCanes!

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
The argument is, is Die Hard a Christmas film? Should get some good debates
Yes it is, without doubt. Hans Gruber is one cigarette 🚬 away from being Santa Clause 😎
multiple personality | Alan rickman, Alan, Alan rickman always

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Already established. No its not and neither is home alone. These are just movies that happen at Christmas, they could literally happen any day if the year and would still be the same story.

Same exact story line as Home Alone, but for adults.
Yup and that why they are both NOT Christmas movies

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Already established. No its not and neither is home alone. These are just movies that happen at Christmas, they could literally happen any day if the year and would still be the same story.

Yup and that why they are both NOT Christmas movies
Do people watch them at Christmas? Yes.

Are the movies set during Christmas? Yes.

Is Christmas the time of miracles according to Hans Gruber? Yes.

They both consider themselves Christmas movies. Therefore they are Christmas movies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So "it's a wonderful life" which happens to be set on Christmas Eve, could have the same story line any time of the year isn't a Christmas movie?

And A Christmas Carol, who's central theme is Scrooge being a elderly miser that sees the errors of his ways by being visited by his old partner and ghosts would be the same story if it was set at Thanksgiving, so it's not a Christmas movie?

And Love Actually could have all the same story lines if not set during Christmas, isn't a Christmas movie.

etc...etc....

That's a pretty weak argument.

It's ok, we're all wrong at times on this board, this just happens to be your time. :neener:

Seriously though, Merry Christmas. Can't wait to watch DieHard with my kids after dinner.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Spent 24th (the most important Christmas day in Czech republic) largely at home, because I have flu. Occupational hazard. Just dropped presents, received salmon and potato salad in return, went to our place and visited Darkness at her workplace. Because romance and i.v. Vitamin C. Had peripheral vein entry from our nurses on 23rd. And found out my veins are like me. Easily irritable.

And 25th I have my 24h shift.
On 26th Darkness has 24h shift again, because her colleague got sick.

Merry Christmas y’all.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Spent 24th (the most important Christmas day in Czech republic) largely at home, because I have flu. Occupational hazard. Just dropped presents, received salmon and potato salad in return, went to our place and visited Darkness at her workplace. Because romance and i.v. Vitamin C. Had peripheral vein entry from our nurses on 23rd. And found out my veins are like me. Easily irritable.

And 25th I have my 24h shift.
On 26th Darkness has 24h shift again, because her colleague got sick.

Merry Christmas y’all.
Vengeance and Darkness are my favorite couple of 2022.

Merry Christmas!

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
My take is, Die Hard is missing that one "gee, I hope I can kill all these terrorists so that I can get home to my family for Christmas" line. All the paraphernalia is there, but the Christmas thing is still only treated as a reason to get McClane and the hostages in the tower, not as a theme in and of itself.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I added it to our holiday movie rotation last year by telling my wife who had never seen it that it was a Christmas movie.

Truthfully, I think it’s just a movie that takes place around Christmas but it’s not a Christmas movie. She ended up liking it, though, and we watched all of them :laugh:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Merry Christmas all !

No doubt a Christmas movie and my nominee for best:

1671999171109.png

How they filmed the above scene: there was a small hole in the pole with a suction tube on the inside. Enough to make it look the kid's tongue was stuck to the pole but not enough that he couldn't painlessly disengage when he wanted. No tongues were harmed in the filming of this movie.

Last edited:

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
Merry Christmas all !

View attachment 626603

How they filmed the above scene: there was a small hole in the pole with a suction tube on the inside. Enough to make it look the kid's tongue was stuck to the pole but not enough that he couldn't painlessly disengage when he wanted. No tongues were harmed in the filming of this movie.
I admit in my younger days, my brother and I convinced a classmate to try this. And, yes, their tongue stuck to the fence post.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Merry Christmas all !

View attachment 626603

B957C58F-F5C9-41E3-A27D-603687840DBC.jpeg

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’m down for next Christmas to be low event:

-2020 - Mother in law breaks hip just a few days prior to Xmas

-2021 - Covid Xmas, I tested positive Xmas Day, wife 1 day later and In-laws 3 days later

-2022 - power out for 8hrs on Xmas Wve with a full house in for the holiday and a burst exterior wall pipe. Got a plumbe to come by at the last minute, late Xmas Eve so the leak was supposedly fixed, but looks like we still may have some issues judging by my slab stil showing what appears to be water coming from somewhere, fun times.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I’m down for next Christmas to be low event:

-2020 - Mother in law breaks hip just a few days prior to Xmas

-2021 - Covid Xmas, I tested positive Xmas Day, wife 1 day later and In-laws 3 days later

-2022 - power out for 8hrs on Xmas Wve with a full house in for the holiday and a burst exterior wall pipe. Got a plumbe to come by at the last minute, late Xmas Eve so the leak was supposedly fixed, but looks like we still may have some issues judging by my slab stil showing what appears to be water coming from somewhere, fun times.
Yikes. Sorry to hear.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
LOL. My wife made t-shirts for all of us for Christmas and gave them to us after Dinner.

Mine: "Welcome to the party pal"
Hers: "This IS Christmas music"
Kid 1: "Hans, Bubby, I'm your white knight"
Kid 2: "Shoot the Glass"
Kid 3: "The quarterback is toast"

Here's a shot of mine:

View attachment 626612
That's amazing. No wonder you were looking forward to watching it!

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
My take is, Die Hard is missing that one "gee, I hope I can kill all these terrorists so that I can get home to my family for Christmas" line. All the paraphernalia is there, but the Christmas thing is still only treated as a reason to get McClane and the hostages in the tower, not as a theme in and of itself.
It doesn't need to be spelled out! He's saving his wife and in the end they go away together with Christmas music playing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad