Mendes: Trading For Hemsky Earlier Wouldn't Make Differrence

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445889

Great article by Mendes. He sums it up perfectly and he says exactly what last year was about. He doesn't sugarcoat that last season was the hot goaltending that saved our bacon. Some posters here seem to believe in this myth that we played a defensive system last year when Mendes clearly spells out the truth of what really happened. Any chance Mendes can show Stache this article?

Last edited:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Not so sure I agree.. he has a point, and I am as critical of the D as anyone, but there are many lost games that went into overtime, or a loss by 1 point, that having Hemksy and Spezza with that extra goal, is easily the 4 pts we need to be sitting in 8th right now.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
yea.. Anderson bishop and lehner had to make amazing save after amazing save..that doesn't exactly sound like a great defensive team.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think the team didn't gove up as many quality scoring chances last year

YEs a ton of shots against but they were playing conservative hockey

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Bull****.
If he put up 3 assists a game that would be like 240 assists over the whole season - how can you say that wouldn't make a difference? Cowen isn't that bad

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
Not so sure I agree.. he has a point, and I am as critical of the D as anyone, but there are many lost games that went into overtime, or a loss by 1 point, that having Hemksy and Spezza with that extra goal, is easily the 4 pts we need to be sitting in 8th right now.

Like last night? :sarcasm:

I think the team didn't gove up as many quality scoring chances last year

YEs a ton of shots against but they were playing conservative hockey

Perhaps, perhaps not. I think this passage from the article is pretty telling:

Craig Anderson, for example, had a .933 save percentage while short-handed last season - a number that has tumbled by more than 100 points this year.

Conservative hockey or not, it sure seems like Anderson's been ******** the bed in this department. For reference, he had a .930 save percentage while short-handed in 11-12.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Last year was absolutely a defensive system. They played passive and clogged up hockey. The forwards played less risky and backchecked more. Everything was to the outside in the Dzone.

Now this year we're back to a more offensive system, with riskier players, a lot of players that have regressed defensively and brutal goaltending for the most part.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445889

Great article by Mendes. He sums it up perfectly and he says exactly what last year was about. He doesn't sugarcoat that last season was the hot goaltending that saved our bacon. Some posters here seem to believe in this myth that we played a defensive system last year when Mendes clearly spells out the truth of what really happened. Any chance Mendes can show Stache this article?

The quality of chances this team gives up is WAY worse this season. They gave up shots last year but they were perimeter for the most part they cleared the front of the net and kept everything from the outside.

The teams biggest hole all season has been on the back end, they are missing a reliable top 3 guy to get the puck out controlled not a scoring winger. Its no secret this teams problem isn't scoring goals. Murray thinks the D core is ok, well its not. Defensively its the worst group in the NHL.

I agree that Anderson hasn't been close to the player he was last year but if you recall the first 10 games the sens played were more than enough to ruin any goaltenders confidence/season and potentially career. Lehner took 165 shots in less than 3 games... That's insane.

Berserker*

I said it when we acquired him that Hemsky wouldn't make much of a difference. That isn't to say that Hemsky is a bad player, just that we weren't a Hemsky away from being a playoff team, let alone a cup contender.

Murray needed to acquire some players with higher compete levels and he didn't and now we are stuck with the same team that doesn't play hard enough for long enough, lacks intensity and compete level.

Actually if anything, the games after the deadline give further justification for the need for more intense physical players. The Sens can be a good team when they actually play, but most of the game they aren't very motivated. A big hitter would have potentially gone a long way to get some energy on the bench and some emotion into their play.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Last year was absolutely a defensive system. They played passive and clogged up hockey. The forwards played less risky and backchecked more. Everything was to the outside in the Dzone.

Now this year we're back to a more offensive system, with riskier players, a lot of players that have regressed defensively and brutal goaltending for the most part.

Somebody pin this. This is our season in a nutshell vs. last season.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Mendes rarely makes any sense to me.
Example: currently bringing up the idea of an alfie statue

Margaret Trudeau*

You have to remember Spezza was hurt for most of last year. Look at his +/- this year. The record with him reminds me of the end of the Redden years.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I usually really like his stuff, but this in not his best work.

If we gained one extra point per month we would be in a playoff spot right now. Hemsky has already helped us get at least 1 point we didn't deserve, and he has only been here three games.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I said it when we acquired him that Hemsky wouldn't make much of a difference. That isn't to say that Hemsky is a bad player, just that we weren't a Hemsky away from being a playoff team, let alone a cup contender.

Murray needed to acquire some players with higher compete levels and he didn't and now we are stuck with the same team that doesn't play hard enough for long enough, lacks intensity and compete level.

Actually if anything, the games after the deadline give further justification for the need for more intense physical players. The Sens can be a good team when they actually play, but most of the game they aren't very motivated. A big hitter would have potentially gone a long way to get some energy on the bench and some emotion into their play.

Come on. The last thing we need is more "big hitters." The Greening-Smith-Neil line already takes way too much ice time away from the actual good players in the lineup.

Berserker*

Come on. The last thing we need is more "big hitters." The Greening-Smith-Neil line already takes way too much ice time away from the actual good players in the lineup.

Ya, that's a load of BS. Our skill players don't play hard enough and usually take periods of games off. The majority of the best teams in the league are filled with big physical players. Teams like the Bruins, Kings, Blues, Ducks and Sharks are all examples of this.

Also the fact that this fan base complains about the ice time of the GSN line is a strong indication of what they know about hockey. That line is used to shutdown the top line of the opposition, therefore they need to be one the ice every time the oppositions first line is out there. Hence the amount of ice time they get.

It seems like a lot of posters on here are under the misconception that a team can effectively play European style hockey in the NHL. You simply can't play a pure finesse game on the smaller ice surface with bigger players who like to hit. It is a completely different game. It also seems like many of you don't understand hockey because you have no appreciation for role players. If playing 4 lines and 3 d pairings of pure finesse players was actually effective, then teams would start building there teams like that. But zero teams build a roster of all finesse players and the ones that have too many finesse players often don't make it anywhere in the playoffs.

What you need to be successful are gritty skilled players (Koptar, Malkin, Getzlaf, Perry, Benn, Doughty, Weber, Subban) and quality role players.

Our forward core isn't a very physical group and the ones that are, aren't very good at it. Greening may take the body on a regular basis, but he is hardly an effective physical player, much like Michalek is hardly an effective top six player at this point. There are gradations in quality in terms of physical players and the majority of our physical players aren't very effective at being physical. Hence the need to bring in better quality ones.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
That line is used to shutdown the top line of the opposition, therefore they need to be one the ice every time the oppositions first line is out there. Hence the amount of ice time they get.

Probably one of the biggest reasons this team is trash defensively.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Also the fact that this fan base complains about the ice time of the GSN line is a strong indication of what they know about hockey. That line is used to shutdown the top line of the opposition, therefore they need to be one the ice every time the oppositions first line is out there. Hence the amount of ice time they get.

And we're what? 29th in GA?

And nice of you to throw in there that I know little about hockey. Times are changing, speed, possession and hockey IQ are way more important than toughness; just ask the post lockout leafs.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
You very clearly have zero appreciation for physical players. I assume that you must be a big fan of the European hockey leagues.

This has nothing to do with what type of hockey I enjoy, or what leagues I prefer to watch. I applauded the point about Smith line already getting too much ice time because they do. That line gives up more goals than it scores, is almost continually hemmed in our D zone for long stretches at a time, and is a minus most games. I have no issue with role players and grinders, provided they get the appropriate number of minutes. On our team they do not. As I see it, adding more players who hit because they never have the puck is not the road to improving our team.

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Ottawa is absolute **** in there own end, but they are equally as bad in the neutral zone. This team just needs to improve on all aspects, roster, coaching and on ice product.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Somebody should go back and watch some games last season and compare the amount of quality shots we gave up last season compared to this season. I guarantee you we are giving up more quality shots this season compared to last season. Yes, we gave up a ton of shots last season, but they were not quality shots if i recall correctly. They were mostly perimeter shots and other type of shots that had no chance of going into the net. Our defense still was not that great last season and our goaltending did play a huge part of why we made the playoffs. But our defense last season was way better then our defense this season.

Jonathan81

Sep 12, 2011
I personnally believe that we would have been a better team with Hemsky from the start. I know it's only been three games but it really seems like he is getting this line rolling.

It might have been the difference between a playoff spot and where we currently are in the ranking.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Well, we could be sitting much closer to a playoff spot if he didn't get two goals against us the day before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad