Movies: Men in Black: International

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's funny, but the script is so bad that it leads to one of the least inspired franchise relaunches in history. The tone and feel of this needed to be so much different from the others, it wasn't, and that's probably it for the series. No great loss.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It's just lazy casting. This is not some great comedy duo like Cheech and Chong or Prior and Wilder together. It's two Marvel actors who were just in a few movies together. Thompson's career is booming the last few years from the Creed series to Sorry To Bother You etc. she's come a long way since being Jackie in Veronica Mars Season 2, and if they wanted to do a movie around her, cool, but should have casted someone else who isn't so associated with her.

The whole MIB franchise has been very average. It's not even a diet, but the .99 cent store version of Ghosbusters. MIB III was the most interesting one that was so low key compared to the other two.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well it landed with a thud at box office

Despite being #1 it opened with a weak $28.5M gross well below studio expectations and forecasts

Franchise has always been weak with 1st film only one that is at all enjoyable to me and even then it was a 90's summer movie not something that warranted franchise in first place

Reactions: Roman Fell

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Well you have to have proof that you watched the movie now, so I think it’s more accurate than ever. Fine with me.

It also received a B Cinemascore, which is pretty lacklustre. By every metric, it's being received as a subpar film.

It's been a bad month for second tier franchise films. Xmen and Godzilla both underperformed. I'm wondering what impact this will have on the studio strategy. They flocked to produce as much franchise content as they could as original films kept bombing. However, audiences seem to be reacting by being selective on what they will watch.

I'm doubting they'll go full scale return to more original content, but, something will need to change. Studios need tent pole films, and all the franchises that people care about all belong to Disney.

Sep 19, 2008
Rotten Tomatoes cant be trusted anymore with them purging so many negative reviews from movies calling them trolls with no evidence.

Well you have to have proof that you watched the movie now, so I think it’s more accurate than ever. Fine with me.

After RT removed the troll and brigade accounts for Captain Marvel the user's comment section isn't as bad as it used to be. I mean, these jerks were downvoting the movie BEFORE it came out :laugh: If you're going to critique the movie, at least watch it first.

Also this is why I largely have nothing to say here. It looks very, very bad but I haven't seen the film yet (and don't intend to) so I can't really judge. All I can tell you is that the campaign was terrible on TV (oh this NBA player is an alien! Oh no!) and the ads were so brief and short. "Watch MIB." flashback rewind "Watch MIB!"

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

People are still talking about it without being verified and giving it a rating.

After RT removed the troll and brigade accounts for Captain Marvel the user's comment section isn't as bad as it used to be. I mean, these jerks were downvoting the movie BEFORE it came out :laugh: If you're going to critique the movie, at least watch it first.

Also this is why I largely have nothing to say here. It looks very, very bad but I haven't seen the film yet (and don't intend to) so I can't really judge. All I can tell you is that the campaign was terrible on TV (oh this NBA player is an alien! Oh no!) and the ads were so brief and short. "Watch MIB." flashback rewind "Watch MIB!"

People saw the trailer didn't like it and voted for not wanting to see it so they made a change because they didn't like the percentage of people interested in seeing it being below what they like.

They lost a lot of credibility in their site.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
People are still talking about it without being verified and giving it a rating.

People saw the trailer didn't like it and voted for not wanting to see it so they made a change because they didn't like the percentage of people interested in seeing it being below what they like.

I think the people you feel they have lost credibility with were not the people they're concerned with.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

Why would Rotten care what that percentage of people is? I’m sorry, but a site verifying people actually watch a movie before voting on it is about as credible as it gets.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

The point is that the first/default audience score that you see is calculated from only the users that RT can verify have seen the film (because they bought tickets through Fandango, which owns RT). You can still leave a review and a rating without being verified, but it won't affect the default audience score. Clicking on the new "More Info" button at the bottom of the section gives more information and the ability to switch between seeing the audience score from verified viewers (again, the default) and seeing the score from everyone. Right now, the Verified audience score for MIB:I is 67% and the All Audience score is 61%. What that means is that, if you want to give yourself the best chance of liking the movie, you should buy your tickets through Fandango :sarcasm:.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I think the people you feel they have lost credibility with were not the people they're concerned with.

Obviously

Why would Rotten care what that percentage of people is? I’m sorry, but a site verifying people actually watch a movie before voting on it is about as credible as it gets.

They care otherwise they wouldn't of removed it.

You have to used Fandango to verify for seeing the movie not everyone uses that. I haven't ever used Fandango and I haven't ever been with anyone who has.

That site lost credibility and I am not the only one who has said so.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Obviously they aren't but they should be because it hurts their credibility with what they have done and its not just from me others I have heard from don't trust the site anymore.

They care otherwise they wouldn't of removed it.

You have to used Fandango to verify for seeing the movie not everyone uses that. I haven't ever used Fandango and I haven't ever been with anyone who has.

That site lost credibility and I am not the only one who has said so.

I guess my point is that it never really had credibility to begin with. Most fan rating things don’t, because they can be bombarded with people who both vote way too high or way too low just to help or hurt the score. This goes both ways. People will vote poorly just to hurt a movie, even if they haven’t seen it; and people will give it all the possible stars, just because they can. At least Rotten Tomatoes is actually making people verify that they saw the damn movie. That means more to me than a score where anyone can vote.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I guess my point is that it never really had credibility to begin with. Most fan rating things don’t, because they can be bombarded with people who both vote way too high or way too low just to help or hurt the score. This goes both ways. People will vote poorly just to hurt a movie, even if they haven’t seen it; and people will give it all the possible stars, just because they can. At least Rotten Tomatoes is actually making people verify that they saw the damn movie. That means more to me than a score where anyone can vote.

I do agree no site is really credible but a lot of people took it as such and it hurt the credibility to many who had.

The way they went about everything left a bad taste in the mouth like that of Rotten Tomatoes

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So I went and saw this last night....

Yeah, I certainly understand why it was hated on by critics. There was just no purpose to it.

I also thought the first half of the movie was a disaster. Just no direction to it. Had zero flow at all, and it was hard to get invested in anything. The set-up of the story was done poorly, IMO.

BUT... I actually did enjoy the last 40 minutes or so of it. The story started to click a little more and I got interested. Some “twists” to it that I didn’t totally see coming, and humor started landing a little more.

I’d give the first half of the movie a 2/10, but then the rest of the movie a 6/10. Not a movie I’d recommend going to see, especially with so many other better movies out there. But maybe something you check out on redbox or something down the road when you nothing better to do.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Please stop making these terrible movies. The first one was good and the rest brutal.

Please stop making Jurassic park also, the last 2 movies were also absolutely brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad