Confirmed with Link: Meme thread 2: meme harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm sorry if my post bothered you. Do you need a safe space?

I mean maybe I'm bothered about Millennials and their whining despite living in the most powerful and rich nation to ever exist, but you seem to be even more bothered about people who can afford nice SUVs. Is that not a fair assessment?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
B1B0977B-15A3-4244-AB3D-DC6B5FAE2F9B.jpeg

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I mean maybe I'm bothered about Millennials and their whining despite living in the most powerful and rich nation to ever exist, but you seem to be even more bothered about people who can afford nice SUVs. Is that not a fair assessment?

TBH it’s more about being annoyed by people who insist on perpetuating their culture war bullshit all over the place. I would point out that a poke at one side does not automatically amount to a defense of the other. Your binary thinking is what led you to that conclusion, not anything I said.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I mean maybe I'm bothered about Millennials and their whining despite living in the most powerful and rich nation to ever exist...

What about living in a powerful and rich nation should make any individual happy or content? Sometimes it can make your life seem worse due to your own perceived lack of power or wealth.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
What about living in a powerful and rich nation should make any individual happy or content? Sometimes it can make your life seem worse due to your own perceived lack of power or wealth.

A fantastic observation. Perceived lack of power or wealth. Yet if you were to get in a time machine and meet George Washington and tell him "Yo, 200 years from now, instead of dying en masse from cholera and starvation, our poor people will literally have so much chow available they will f***ing eat themselves to death while watching 60" plasma TVs in their trailers" the guy would nut all over himself.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
TBH it’s more about being annoyed by people who insist on perpetuating their culture war bull**** all over the place. I would point out that a poke at one side does not automatically amount to a defense of the other. Your binary thinking is what led you to that conclusion, not anything I said.

Fair enough. Although my observations of the word tend to be more nuanced, binary action seems to yield far better results.

"One through nine, no maybes, no supposes, no fractions. You can't travel in space, you can't go out into space, you know, without, like, you know, uh, with fractions - what are you going to land on - one-quarter, three-eighths? What are you going to do when you go from here to Venus or something? That's dialectic physics. You either love somebody, or you hate them! That's dialectics!"

- Dennis Hopper, "Apocalypse Now"

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
A fantastic observation. Perceived lack of power or wealth. Yet if you were to get in a time machine and meet George Washington and tell him "Yo, 200 years from now, instead of dying en masse from cholera and starvation, our poor people will literally have so much chow available they will ****ing eat themselves to death while watching 60" plasma TVs in their trailers" the guy would nut all over himself.
Because we are better off than people in Washington’s time collectively doesn’t make most happy.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
And don't get me started on Generation X. We're the morons who saw the shitstorm coming and didn't do jack squat about it except listen to some sad music then bury ourselves in 80s nostalgia a decade later when it became clear we were all ****ed. But we have too much "respect" for our elders to tell them all what selfish dumb assholes they were making us latchkey kids at 7 years old so they could both work 16 hour days, because heaven forbid we just rent a pontoon boat on our next vacation, noooooo we have to buy one instead.And put it on the goddamned credit card, it's just like free ****ing money!

Millennials may be ineffectual, have no sense of history and have a naive pie-eyed view of the future but f**** at least they're trying to do something. If we had half the balls to man up in our early 20s and try to slap some sense into our moron parents the way they did maybe this whole thing wouldn't be such a ****ing catastrophe.

Summary: all generations suck and we're all screwed because we're all assholes in one way or another

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
And don't get me started on Generation X. We're the morons who saw the ****storm coming and didn't do jack squat about it except listen to some sad music then bury ourselves in 80s nostalgia a decade later when it became clear we were all ****ed. But we have too much "respect" for our elders to tell them all what selfish dumb *******s they were making us latchkey kids at 7 years old so they could both work 16 hour days, because heaven forbid we just rent a pontoon boat on our next vacation, noooooo we have to buy one instead.And put it on the goddamned credit card, it's just like free ****ing money!

Millennials may be ineffectual, have no sense of history and have a naive pie-eyed view of the future but f**** at least they're trying to do something. If we had half the balls to man up in our early 20s and try to slap some sense into our moron parents the way they did maybe this whole thing wouldn't be such a ****ing catastrophe.

Summary: all generations suck and we're all screwed because we're all *******s in one way or another

Not that I disagree completely, but this should have been your initial argument instead of bagging on 70 year olds hippies who protested Vietnam and then realized what side the bread was buttered on after they grew weary of their little shenanigans.

We live in the easiest, most prosperous, most peaceful time in human history, in the most prosperous and powerful nation to ever exist. This is what everybody struggled, worked their hands to the bone for, fought and died for and lived like dogs for for centuries. So we could enjoy this prosperity. If you can't find some measure of contentment here, then the problem is you.

I recommend you read the book "Sapiens". I don't agree with all of its tenets, but it does put modern society vs. non-modern society into perspective.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I wasn't attempting to "make an argument," so much as pointing out why older generations criticism of "millenials" falls flat to me.

I obviously don't think any of these groups are as monolithic as the way we're talking about here, but even if they were there's plenty of blame to spread around for the state of things right now and sloughing it all off on "the millennials" is the height of stupidity considering they've been around for the smallest percentage of the last 4 1/2 decades since things went to shit.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I wasn't attempting to "make an argument," so much as pointing out why older generations criticism of "millenials" falls flat to me.

I obviously don't think any of these groups are as monolithic as the way we're talking about here, but even if they were there's plenty of blame to spread around for the state of things right now and sloughing it all off on "the millennials" is the height of stupidity considering they've been around for the smallest percentage of the last 4 1/2 decades since things went to ****.

I don't think anybody is blaming anything on Millennials- we are just wishing they'd STFU considering how awesome everything is right now. I mean all my nieces and nephews are total crap bags living with their parents working at Starbucks and playing videogames all day, despite having the means to do better. But they gave no desire to do better- no ambition. Its because my Gen X sisters became weak and tried to be their friends and never told them "NO".

That being said- while I disdain Millennials as a group, there are many examples of their greatness as individuals- I've served with many who were dedicated soldiers and exhibited none of the character defects associated with the stereotype. But then again, I can't help but to remember the time we were in an intense firefight in Afghanistan and several of my younger teammates decided to video it all and take selfies instead of firing their weapons. I was like WTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad