Signing(s): Melo to the Rockets

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
How the hell did Morey and the Rockets management think this was a good idea? Did anyone outside the Rockets actually think this would be a success?

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I remember watching a Larry Bird interview from about 10 years ago and he was asked what the biggest difference was between the players of that day and the players that Bird played with and against. Bird said that the players of his day played for the name on the front of the jersey while a lot of the modern day players play for the name on the back of the jersey. When I heard Bird say that the first guy I thought of was Carmelo Anthony. He's the type of player that if his team loses but he scores 30 points he's happy but if he scores 10 and his team wins he's not as happy.

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Sep 19, 2008
How the hell did Morey and the Rockets management think this was a good idea? Did anyone outside the Rockets actually think this would be a success?

For those of us who do not intently follow professional basketball why was he not playing?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You guys are over-thinking this. They didn't get Melo to go up against the Warrior's death-lineup in the WCF. They got Melo to help them grind through the regular season; so they can keep CP3 fresh for GSW in the playoffs. And say what you will about the man, but he can still pop off for 20 against bad-to-mediocre teams in the regular season when he's feeling it.

The question will be limiting his ball stopping in the 80% of the games where he's not hot. But if last season humbled him at all & Harden/CP3 can corral him, so that he swallows his pride when he's not hot, then I can see it totally working. Cause his game actually fits the way they are playing now in a way it never did the way Mike D had the knicks playing, and this time around Melo isn't the franchise player, he's a veteran minimum guy that can be waived 8 games into the season if he's causing problems.

How well the new guys replace Ariza & LRMAM is much more salient to their chances IMO.

Well this didn't take long to age poorly :laugh:

...although the bolded was on point!

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

CP3 wanted to do his good friend a solid.

Melo either needs to do what Vince Carter did and accept a lesser role in his 30s or retire. I understand wanting to compete but his skills just aren't there anymore and hes already cemented his spot in the HOF - just play out your years gracefully and ring chase. Nobody will fault him.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
CP3 wanted to do his good friend a solid.

Melo either needs to do what Vince Carter did and accept a lesser role in his 30s or retire. I understand wanting to compete but his skills just aren't there anymore and hes already cemented his spot in the HOF - just play out your years gracefully and ring chase. Nobody will fault him.
He's finished. People keep talking about this lesser role he should take since last couple years. He's not good at basketball anymore - his jumper doesn't fall and that's pretty much all he's got. He can't succeed in a lesser role because he's just plain bad.

Reactions: Cassano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad