Signing(s): Melo to the Rockets

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't know why but Houston will make this work & 25-30 times this season they'll pull Olympic-Melo out of their ass when they need him. Especially during the regular season, when they rest CP3 to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, I don't get this at all from the Rockets' perspective. Dude was overrated even in his prime, and he's pretty far from that now.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
No surprise to see this. Still can't see a team of Harden, CP3 and Melo working together that well. Have to see what happens.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You guys are over-thinking this. They didn't get Melo to go up against the Warrior's death-lineup in the WCF. They got Melo to help them grind through the regular season; so they can keep CP3 fresh for GSW in the playoffs. And say what you will about the man, but he can still pop off for 20 against bad-to-mediocre teams in the regular season when he's feeling it.

The question will be limiting his ball stopping in the 80% of the games where he's not hot. But if last season humbled him at all & Harden/CP3 can corral him, so that he swallows his pride when he's not hot, then I can see it totally working. Cause his game actually fits the way they are playing now in a way it never did the way Mike D had the knicks playing, and this time around Melo isn't the franchise player, he's a veteran minimum guy that can be waived 8 games into the season if he's causing problems.

How well the new guys replace Ariza & LRMAM is much more salient to their chances IMO.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If Melo had signed 3 year deals in 2006 like his buddies LeBron & Wade, he'd probably have at least one ring by now. He could have been the third Heatle, not Bosh.

Respect for being loyal to Denver and signing 5 years and he has a made more on court than both of them but damn what could have been for him...

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If Melo had signed 3 year deals in 2006 like his buddies LeBron & Wade, he'd probably have at least one ring by now. He could have been the third Heatle, not Bosh.

Respect for being loyal to Denver and signing 5 years and he has a made more on court than both of them but damn what could have been for him...
He does have that championship at Syracuse to fall back on.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You guys are over-thinking this. They didn't get Melo to go up against the Warrior's death-lineup in the WCF. They got Melo to help them grind through the regular season; so they can keep CP3 fresh for GSW in the playoffs. And say what you will about the man, but he can still pop off for 20 against bad-to-mediocre teams in the regular season when he's feeling it.

The question will be limiting his ball stopping in the 80% of the games where he's not hot. But if last season humbled him at all & Harden/CP3 can corral him, so that he swallows his pride when he's not hot, then I can see it totally working. Cause his game actually fits the way they are playing now in a way it never did the way Mike D had the knicks playing, and this time around Melo isn't the franchise player, he's a veteran minimum guy that can be waived 8 games into the season if he's causing problems.

How well the new guys replace Ariza & LRMAM is much more salient to their chances IMO.

Words like humble and corral aren't in Melo's dictionary.

There is a reason why Melo's team don't win anything.

Reactions: The Night King

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Harden and CP3 was more about playing styles and could two ball-dominant guards co-exist. I admit I didn't think it could work and I was proven wrong.

This is a different issue entirely. This is a guy that still fully believes he's a superstar, and very likely wants to continue being treated as such on the court even though he is far, far from it these days.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Harden and CP3 was more about playing styles and could two ball-dominant guards co-exist. I admit I didn't think it could work and I was proven wrong.

This is a different issue entirely. This is a guy that still fully believes he's a superstar, and very likely wants to continue being treated as such on the court even though he is far, far from it these days.

I guess we’ll see, but I see a stylistic fit there even for the lessened player Melo now is. And I think that Harden & CP3 will be able to put him in his place after the way last year went. Regardless of what he said about coming off the bench

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Well I yapped off that I didn't think Harden and CP3 would work and they flourished. I'm not a Melo fan at all, but, maybe Paul can be the one to make this work. He's a competitive guy who must know his window is closing. He's smart, he's got that off-court affiliation with Melo, and I'm sure he'll get Melo chances to eat if he does his part because he's still to me the best floor general in the league. Maybe Paul can be the guy to get Melo to buy in, Melo knows him, he's been around a long time, he's done a lot so Melo has to respect him, and they're in a similar "boat", they're the part of the crew with no ring

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Tossing Melo and bringing back Bzdelik should get this team back on track.

There's no way the loss of Ariza has this much of an effect on the team. The early season injuries and lack of structure have been killing us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad