Injury Report: Melker Karlsson, training camp

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
This is not exactly true. Yes, HIPAA (not HIPPA) is a federal law, but it doesn't cover teams releasing injury information about players. Employers aren't "covered entities" under HIPAA. If a hospital or insurance company sent out private patient information that would be a violation. But a team does not violate HIPAA by saying "Player X is day to day with a lower body injury".

username checks out

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
But the trainers and team doctors probably are.

It wouldn't be the team doctors/trainers that give the information out.

By law the doctors need to give the team the cause of the injury (pretty much wsib stuff for normal people work).

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This is not exactly true. Yes, HIPAA (not HIPPA) is a federal law, but it doesn't cover teams releasing injury information about players. Employers aren't "covered entities" under HIPAA. If a hospital or insurance company sent out private patient information that would be a violation. But a team does not violate HIPAA by saying "Player X is day to day with a lower body injury".

There is a gray area that covers employers that take certain action, and I would suspect it covers the Sharks. I believe they have an X-ray machine, and examination, first-aid care rooms that they manage, and employ medical staff. If that is the case, then HIPAA likely has an impact to them.

However, I fully expect player's contract cover job related injuries as it pertains to disclosing. It's that contract that likely allows the team to state the nature of player's injuries.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There is a gray area that covers employers that take certain action, and I would suspect it covers the Sharks. I believe they have an X-ray machine, and examination, first-aid care rooms that they manage, and employ medical staff. If that is the case, then HIPAA likely has an impact to them.

However, I fully expect player's contract cover job related injuries as it pertains to disclosing. It's that contract that likely allows the team to state the nature of player's injuries.

Read the CBA lately. That's where it would be spelled out what can/cannot be released by team. :sarcasm:

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
This is a silly argument. Almost all teams release much more info about players injuries than the Sharks. There's nothing special about the Sharks org that makes that so other than they choose not to.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Read the CBA lately. That's where it would be spelled out what can/cannot be released by team. :sarcasm:

Here's the information you seek:

(c) Disclosure of Medical Information.

(ii) Except with respect to uses, disclosures and redisclosures of Medical Information that are permitted under the CBA, the SPC, and the Authorizations, the Clubs, the NHLPA and the League shall not use, disclose or redisclose any Medical Information relating to a Player (unless stripped of all individual Player-identifying information) without the express, prior, written consent of the Player or as required by law.

I should also disclose that in my profession, I do consult on HIPAA-related security.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Here's the information you seek:

(c) Disclosure of Medical Information.

(ii) Except with respect to uses, disclosures and redisclosures of Medical Information that are permitted under the CBA, the SPC, and the Authorizations, the Clubs, the NHLPA and the League shall not use, disclose or redisclose any Medical Information relating to a Player (unless stripped of all individual Player-identifying information) without the express, prior, written consent of the Player or as required by law.

I should also disclose that in my profession, I do consult on HIPAA-related security.

there is some very relevant language that surrounds that one clause.

(i) Clubs, the League, and the NHLPA may use, disclose and redisclose a Player's Medical Information for the purposes set forth in this Section 34.3, the SPC, and the Authorizations as reasonably required for professional sports operations and related to the Player's employment as an NHL hockey Player (or, as appropriate, Players' employment as NHL hockey Players).

(iii) For public relations purposes a Club, the League, and/or the NHLPA may disclose the following information: (A) for injuries sustained during the course of a Player's employment as a hockey Player with the Club, including, but not limited to, travel with his team or on business requested by the Club: (I) the nature of a Player's injury, (II) the prognosis and the anticipated length of recovery from the injury, and (III) the treatment and surgical procedures undertaken or anticipated in regard to the injury; and (B) for any other medical and/or health condition that prevents a Player from rendering services to his Club: (I) the fact that a medical and/or health condition is preventing the Player from rendering services to the Club, and (II) the anticipated length of the Player's absence from the Club.

Clause iii spells out explicitly that the club can inform the fans just about everything we usually hear about injuries. the sharks simply choose not to.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad