Injury Report: Melker Karlsson, training camp

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Has skated with team, but didn't play in any preseason games.

Have to think he may start the season on the IR (retroactive to start of training camp). And might be assigned to Barracuda for conditioning stint (max 2 weeks) to get up to game speed. (But he'd need to be on NHL active roster to have non-LTIR conditioning stint in AHL.)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah this is not your run of the mill hurt wrist/shoulder/leg injury. This is something that is very sensitive.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Doubt it's concussion he has been skating.

Could be some kinds of lower body injury that gets getting re-aggravated. :dunno:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I miss Melker. Didn't think he'd be out this long. Is there any sort of a timeline, or is it totally up in the air?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If we knew the issue, we might be able to make an educated guess.

Otherwise, it's just like pulling numbers out of a bowl.

I suppose the Sharks organization's tightlipedness is both a blessing and a curse. And yes, I just made up the word tightlipidness. :laugh:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's also the law. The new privacy laws mean that the teams have to protect the players' privacy too. (Often players have to explicitly give permission to release their injury.)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It's also the law. The new privacy laws mean that the teams have to protect the players' privacy too. (Often players have to explicitly give permission to release their injury.)

I wasn't aware. Is that state or federal? Also, how do the laws differ in Canada? Or is this something in the CBA.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I wasn't aware. Is that state or federal? Also, how do the laws differ in Canada? Or is this something in the CBA.

I'd like to know too. I've seen no change in how injuries are reported. Most teams let the cat out of the bag and as usual the Sharks are tight lipped unless they feel they have no choice as with Logan.

I will say it's odd that the Sharks never reported on JT's wrist injury last year. Anybody with eyes could see it. Anybody notice Marleau's speed this year? He wasn't slower last year because he was pouting I can tell you that.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
HIPPA - US federal law

IF a player's injury status is released, it's because the player gave permission.

This is not exactly true. Yes, HIPAA (not HIPPA) is a federal law, but it doesn't cover teams releasing injury information about players. Employers aren't "covered entities" under HIPAA. If a hospital or insurance company sent out private patient information that would be a violation. But a team does not violate HIPAA by saying "Player X is day to day with a lower body injury".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad