Melker Karlsson signed a 2 year contract / $3.250M total

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Good deal, he's a useful player. I'm hoping we can ice a line up without scrubs this season, have Mike Brown benched most nights.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Good deal, he's a useful player. I'm hoping we can ice a line up without scrubs this season, have Mike Brown benched most nights.

I think we're currently at this lineup generally speaking:

KArlsson-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Hertl-Tierney-Nieto
x-Smith-x
Brown

So 10 spots locked in. Two spots open. Torres maybe coming off LTIR early next year. Goodrow, Carpenter, Goldobin, Meier, Donskoi, and Tarasov maybe vying for a roster spot. We're probably in a good position especially if the guys on that impromptu 3rd line improve. I'd ideally like to sign a top 6 forward but whatever. Could be worse.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

In no way is he worth his contract, but I feel like Mike Brown makes a difference when he plays. Whether its stirring **** up in the 2014 playoffs or beating down Aaron Volpatti, he's the most noticable goon we've had in the last few years. I don't think he should be a regular, but because he has wheels and some skill, he still has a place on an NHL roster.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Hertl-Tierney-Nieto
x-Smith-x
Brown

So 10 spots locked in. Two spots open. Torres maybe coming off LTIR early next year. Goodrow, Carpenter, Goldobin, Meier, Donskoi, and Tarasov maybe vying for a roster spot. We're probably in a good position especially if the guys on that impromptu 3rd line improve. I'd ideally like to sign a top 6 forward but whatever. Could be worse.

If we go with a typical 4th line it's going to get interesting. One thing we can't say is that there are no prospects pushing the first teamers.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Hertl-Tierney-Nieto
x-Smith-x
Brown

Yeah I would like to add a skill forward too. I expect at least one of those prospects listed to step up and that would put us in a really good position up front. Hertl, Tierney, and Nieto I think will have much better seasons this year as well.

The real challenge will be signing a good d and a starting goalie. I'm willing to overpay within reason to get the right guys, just get it done and get it done with the right people.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think Hertl plays on Couture's wing. He and Cooch looked good. Wingels slides next to Tierney. A lot of different combos.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I think Hertl plays on Couture's wing. He and Cooch looked good. Wingels slides next to Tierney. A lot of different combos.

Who knows how DeBoer will play it. Aside from obvious parings like Joe and Joe, but even then he might want to try and mix things up. It's going to be interesting.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I could see Marleau bumped to the 3rd line.

I was thinking that too, might want to spread out the scoring. He had good chemistry with Nieto, but then Nieto also has good chemistry with Hertl and Couture so who knows.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Hertl-Tierney-Nieto
x-Smith-x
Brown

Just wanted to add a couple names that could push for a spot, Jevpalovs and O'Regan (Depending on if he leaves BU). Also wondering if Rod comes over this season. Said he likes to agitate which would work well on the 4th line.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think the Sharks should move Marleau back to center:

Karlsson-Thornton-Pavelski
Nieto-Marleau-Couture
UFA/TT-Hertl-Wingels
Torres-Smith-Tierney
Goodrow
Hayes

Dillon-Burns
Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Mueller

Hope and pray that Thornton can be a true superstar center, and that Burns becomes a Norris-quality guy. And/or, Stalock/Niemi/whoever becomes a star in net.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I think the Sharks should move Marleau back to center:

Karlsson-Thornton-Pavelski
Nieto-Marleau-Couture
UFA/TT-Hertl-Wingels
Torres-Smith-Tierney
Goodrow
Hayes

Dillon-Burns
Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Mueller

Hope and pray that Thornton can be a true superstar center, and that Burns becomes a Norris-quality guy. And/or, Stalock/Niemi/whoever becomes a star in net.

We still need to add a good d and figure out the situation in net. There is no problem up front, if we have more than one forward make the jump that's just gravy and I fully expect DW to add a depth forward, hopefully a scorer. The d needs to be fixed, its so obvious is silly. Get someone good, overpay slightly if you have to. Goalie could go a bunch of different ways and there is more leeway dependent on how much we improve the d. Again I'm fine with them overpaying slightly to get the one they see as a starter now and in the future, within reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad