Mega Man 2 vs. 3 Debate

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I think it is almost universally concluded that these were and are the best best and most classic games in the series. Which one is better however, is a pretty heated topic. I give a slight edge to #2 because the music I feel is *slightly* better, but #3 is not far behind imo.

What say you HF geeks? :D

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I was a big Mega Man fan back in the day. 2 remains one of my favorite games ever. It was the game that really brought the series to the next level.

That 4th boss on the Wiley stages though. That used to drive me crazy.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
both are amazing. I think I would have to lean towards MM2 though only because Top Man is the lamest of all of the enemies in those two games. I also liked how you could go back with crash bomb and unlock things in other levels.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
For me it's 2.

Still playing both on the xbox one legacy edition to this day.

It's quite close, 3 the opening theme somehow just tops 2 because it's just slightly more hype, and 2 is nuts for how amazing that music was in 1988 compared to anything in it's time. The slide was very fun but was designed around the gameplay too much, so I say 2 overall in it's traditional feel, the music, boss design, difficulty, is the perfect 10. But 3 would not be far behind that.

During the opening title sequence while the story slides climb the sky scrapper and that music drops... just so hype, still do the jingle in my head. :)

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
My only problem with Mega Man 2 is that I thought it was too easy, I'd still pick it in this poll though.

I really liked 3 as well.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
2 had better music, better overall Robot Masters, better weapons (albeit with some duds in the form of the one-shot, no-gun Flash Stopper and the immobility restriction on the Leaf Shield) and for my money was a little bit harder in the Wily stages.

3 was longer, had the cool feature of the Doc Robot stages revisiting the 2 RMs, better bosses in the Wily stages, added the slide feature which helped the game a lot, added Rush (even if you could abuse the Rush Jet), added Protoman, and originated the "It's not Wily this time, psych! it totally is Wily" twist with the angle of Wily going good as a ploy.

2 did more to define the series and I think is the more iconic game, but 3 I feel was better overall.

To be honest though, as much as I love 3, I think that 4 might be a little underappreciated and belong in the same tier. It had some creative stuff in it and with the charge shot and a little more polish it really stands up as well as 2 and 3. I also feel like it had a good, solid diverse cast of RMs. It wasn't until 5 and 6 that things started going off the rails.

For the record, I own 3 on the NES, have the PS2 anniversary collection, and bought 2-6 from the 3DS virtual shop. And I played them again as recently as last year, though I haven't finished 6 from that playthrough yet.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Mega Man 2 is better in every aspect as far as I'm concerned. Even the sound track is significantly better, I still know every song off the top of my head without even listening to any in years now.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
2 is the best in the franchise
3 is the worst in the franchise (on the nes)

Separated by much. Not sure how anyone could vote for 3, unless they really really like Snake Man music and the robot level music which is among the best music from the franchise

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
The only thing 3 has over 2 is the epic title music. I suppose it was more challenging also. Mega man 2 was very easy.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I was a big Mega Man fan back in the day. 2 remains one of my favorite games ever. It was the game that really brought the series to the next level.

That 4th boss on the Wiley stages though. That used to drive me crazy.

Is that the one where you have to blow up those lasers with Crashmans bombs?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Separated by much. Not sure how anyone could vote for 3, unless they really really like Snake Man music and the robot level music which is among the best music from the franchise

You have 1, 4, 5 and 6 above 3?!

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

You mean 4?

;)

I didn't think anyone hated 3 :p

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank

3 isn't even the worst in the franchise, that's for one of 4, 5, or 8. What made 3 such a great game is the challenging levels (compared to 2 which starts comfortably, but spikes big time in between periods), neat idea in having Doc Robot stages and mirroring MM2's boss fights.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
3 isn't even the worst in the franchise, that's for one of 4, 5, or 8. What made 3 such a great game is the challenging levels (compared to 2 which starts comfortably, but spikes big time in between periods), neat idea in having Doc Robot stages and mirroring MM2's boss fights.

I have 1 as the worst one.

Yeah it may not be fair but it has the worst levels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad