Meeting Day Thread: 6/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Getting drunk the last few days before finals is not a conducive activity to tracking the daily happenings of the NHL lockout.

However, it does keep me from remembering that the playoffs should be going on

/still up

SENSible1*

Today will be interesting.

The "large group" dynamic could produce fireworks.

Will Bettman overplay his winning hand? Personally I doubt it...The owners will do what they can to give the PA face saving table scraps.

Is the split on the PA side real and big enough that Goodenow could be removed if he tries to sabotage the process?

Is the perception of the split on the PA side a ploy by Goodenow to get the moderates more concessions out of the owners just to keep Goody on the sideline?

Will the NHL allow the PA to throw the rookies under the bus and face the potential loss of some top level European talent?

Can both sides keep the momentum going?

Should be a very eventful day.

Here's hoping things stay on track. :cheers:

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Saskins: ''We continued our small group meeting throughout the day and evening, and plan to meet again tomorrow morning in both small and large groups. We will not be making further comment until tomorrow's (today friday) meetings have concluded"

Probably get the same old stuff during the day...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=126812

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
Today will be interesting.

The "large group" dynamic could produce fireworks.

Will Bettman overplay his winning hand? Personally I doubt it...The owners will do what they can to give the PA face saving table scraps.

Is the split on the PA side real and big enough that Goodenow could be removed if he tries to sabotage the process?

Is the perception of the split on the PA side a ploy by Goodenow to get the moderates more concessions out of the owners just to keep Goody on the sideline?

Will the NHL allow the PA to throw the rookies under the bus and face the potential loss of some top level European talent?

Can both sides keep the momentum going?

Should be a very eventful day.

Here's hoping things stay on track. :cheers:

I dont think Bettman will try to overplay his hand either. Right now the union is split and the last thing he wants is a reason for them to come together. Any "hardball" tactics could force the make a deal camp back into Bob's corner.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I expect to hear something official by June 15th... Either from the NHL or the NHLPA. I'm not gonna get my hopes up thinking its over today or next week.

June 15th is my day of truth.

chiavsfan

Well I hope this thread is about the meetings today, I got 3 hours of the sleep after the Calder Cup game last night ( traffic was brutal), and am going to sleep as soon as I am out of work at noon. Keep me up to date

And then later I will join you in :cheers:

King_Brown

Progress was made on some issues, we will cotinue to meet next week, Gary and Bob will talk over the weekend to set something up.

Tedless Saskins

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Something I found interesting from the TSN report was this.....

"The two sides have focused on a review of revenue measurement and financial reporting issues as they try to find common ground on team-by-team revenues and how to associate them to a salary cap"

Maybe I am reading this wrong but it sounds like something I have said all along.....when defining revenues, IMO, you can only count money streams that all teams have. As a simple example, some teams own the parking...some dont......How can that revenue be counted if not all teams have it coming in?

King_Brown

This sucks, they could of sat in a room for 20 hours for 2 days and done this garbage. I hate Bob Goodenow and Teddy Saskins more and more everyday. I hope they are fired.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Mothra said:
Something I found interesting from the TSN report was this.....

"The two sides have focused on a review of revenue measurement and financial reporting issues as they try to find common ground on team-by-team revenues and how to associate them to a salary cap"

Maybe I am reading this wrong but it sounds like something I have said all along.....when defining revenues, IMO, you can only count money streams that all teams have. As a simple example, some teams own the parking...some dont......How can that revenue be counted if not all teams have it coming in?

No but you can count parking lot revenue on game nights.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
LPHabsFan said:

How so? Does every owner own the parking lots? or the company that runs the parking? I would imagine that all owners get some of that money....but I would also imagine some actually own it all and have it as a seperate buisness

WC Handy*

Mothra said:
How so? Does every owner own the parking lots? or the company that runs the parking? I would imagine that all owners get some of that money....but I would also imagine some actually own it all and have it as a seperate buisness

How so? Pretty simple actually... you take the amount that is earned and report it to the league. Just like the NBA counts 40% of luxury box revenue the arena earns as BRI regardless of whether or not the team gets a dime or 100% of it.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
WC Handy said:
How so? Pretty simple actually... you take the amount that is earned and report it to the league. Just like the NBA counts 40% of luxury box revenue the arena earns as BRI regardless of whether or not the team gets a dime or 100% of it.

How does the NBA handle parking? I can see that with lux boxes....

and parking was just something off the top of my head....to me it only seems fair to count revenue streams that all teams have.....if an owner owns the arena, the concessions, the parking, etc why should he get penalized

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Someone asked on yesterday's MDT whether I would be concerned about a guy like Crosby not playing in the NHL for a rookie cap of 500K. Here's my answer:

I would be concerned about Crosby not playing in the NHL...if the rookie cap were 500K, but I have reason to believe this figure isn't accurate.

Lots of figures being passed around right now as to what's in the deal. Some of them may even be correct but I'll wager much of the stuff being floated right now is perhaps only partially true. No sense getting all worked up about a 500K rookie cap if it doesn't exist.

Remember something else about collective bargaining. When we say it's not done until it's all done, take that literally. Hypothetical example, let's say the NHL and the PA agree today on precise numbers on linkage, floor, ceiling, range etc. They both agree today on what that is going to be. Word leaks out and everybody starts reporting it. Whatever. Then tomorrow they start in on all the other issues. After they finish arb, ELS, QO's, FA etc. etc., the PA looks at it and says, you know, we didn't get as much as we thought we would on those systemic issues, so let's go back to that linkage figure, let's change the percentage number, let's move around the range.

Collective bargaining is not a checklist thing, where you tick off one item and move to another. They're all related. And it's a good thing, too, because the leverage both sides have is that they can re-open or re-visit covered ground at any time. Both sides know that so it drives them closer together on the small issues, realizing if they're not fair with each other, one side will go back and blow up the big issue.

So while the tidbits being floated around as to what's in the deal are interesting, forgive me if I just wait to see what's actually in there when it's really done.

There, if I post another 100 plus times today and KPD is too busy to post, I'll have a shot at equaling his impressive output. :D

WC Handy*

Mothra said:
How does the NBA handle parking? I can see that with lux boxes....

and parking was just something off the top of my head....to me it only seems fair to count revenue streams that all teams have.....if an owner owns the arena, the concessions, the parking, etc why should he get penalized

What is really 'fair' doesn't even really matter because all this revenue total is being used for is to set a cap. They two groups just have to agree on a system for defining revenues that best estimates revenues and produces a fair cap figure.

In the NBA, I'm sure some teams get more than 40% of luxury boxes and some get less. In CBA negotiations they came to 40%, probably because it was the middle ground. If they decide parking is hockey related revenue, they'll figure out how it should be reported.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
LPHabsFan said:

why stop there??? How about we include the beer sold at the pub down the street... or the taxis/subways that bring fans to the arena... or the hot dog sales outside the gate... :shakehead

just cause some guy owns a parking lot 2 blocks from the arena doesn't mean a drop of it affects the NHL's revenue.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
heshootshescores said:
why stop there??? How about we include the beer sold at the pub down the street... or the taxis/subways that bring fans to the arena... or the hot dog sales outside the gate... :shakehead

just cause some guy owns a parking lot 2 blocks from the arena doesn't mean a drop of it affects the NHL's revenue.

You are absurd.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
heshootshescores said:

If the ownership of the team gets a dime of that money then it should be counted.. none of this seperate company crap to hide revenue. If the hot dog vendor gives 10 cents per hotdog sold every game night to the hockey team/person/ownership group, then count it... every single penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad