Speculation: Meet the Core! Wait . . . who we talkin' 'bout, now?

Can the Sabres core as it currently exist s win a championship?

• Hell no. Gotta get better core pieces.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • With the right additions, yes they can.

Votes: 45 88.2%
  • How's the city going to afford the overtime to clean up after the parade?

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Thompson, Cozens, Power, Sammy are treated as core players. We’ll see how management handles Dahlin. With the way they have pretty much pushed aside the other goaltenders that were/are in the organization, I’d say Levi is core.

I think Tuch, Peterka, Quinn, Krebs are guys that they would like to keep here for as long as possible, but I feel like if serious sacrifices need to be made, they would be the first to go.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Thompson, Cozens, Power, Sammy are treated as core players. We’ll see how management handles Dahlin. With the way they have pretty much pushed aside the other goaltenders that were/are in the organization, I’d say Levi is core.

I think Tuch, Peterka, Quinn, Krebs are guys that they would like to keep here for as long as possible, but I feel like if serious sacrifices need to be made, they would be the first to go.
Interesting takes on Dahlin and Tuch.

I'm thinking Tuch is probably the player who should receive the most credit for this team's turnaround through his leadership. If his body holds out, I think he'll be here another six or seven years.

Unless Dahlin goes scorched-earth mercenary during his contract negotiations, which I'd bet against, both of those guys will be here ahead of the up-and-coming players who might get bridged and alienated, or squeezed out.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I guess it depends how you define core. But as far as young elite talent, we have Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson on defense, and Thompson, Cozens as forwards. That is absolutely a core, that if it keeps progressing, can win a cup.

It would be nice if Quinn can become an elite player as well, just to throw in a winger. Though, I’d be good with adding Tuch in depending on how you’d define core!

So Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Thompson, Cozens, and Tuch. With Quinn, Levi, Savoie, Kulich as hopefuls down the road.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
At the Athletic, they occasionally do a "contender checklist" bit. For giggles, here's how they evaluated cup winners from the last decade (take it with however much salt you want).

Gold is elite, black is above average, grey is below average, red is relatively weak.

Screenshot-2023-03-14-at-11.24.46-PM.png

And here's where they had the Sabres in March -- right toward the end of the 2-8-2 stretch (showing actual evaluation vs. early season prediction):

Screenshot-2023-03-14-at-11.20.27-PM-1024x979.png

Even with all the holes they identified, last year's Sabres were ranked about on par with the 2012 Kings Cup-winning team. Growth and a couple of roster moves (esp. on D) could quite easily move this core into contention.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
If we shore up the D I can live with Levi and UPL for this year. If things don't trend up then we make a trade during the season for a proven G.
We should do it prior to the deadline or before we hit a wall.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If we shore up the D I can live with Levi and UPL for this year. If things don't trend up then we make a trade during the season for a proven G.
In-season goalie trades are tough unless you trade for a goalie that has experience changing teams mid-season.

Most guys that go through it for the first time struggle with their new team.

Reactions: Zman5778 and Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I would prefer to go with a more proven goalie + Levi and UPL. It's much easier to get a goaltender in the off-season than during the season.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
At the Athletic, they occasionally do a "contender checklist" bit. For giggles, here's how they evaluated cup winners from the last decade (take it with however much salt you want).

Gold is elite, black is above average, grey is below average, red is relatively weak.

View attachment 711110

And here's where they had the Sabres in March -- right toward the end of the 2-8-2 stretch (showing actual evaluation vs. early season prediction):

View attachment 711114

Even with all the holes they identified, last year's Sabres were ranked about on par with the 2012 Kings Cup-winning team. Growth and a couple of roster moves (esp. on D) could quite easily move this core into contention.
This is such an odd representation. Why not just evaluate the lines and pairs? Elite center is going to be the #1 center. Cozens isn't top line and greenway isn't top 6. I guess if you ignore it all and just look at the GSVA its fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad