Media Rant

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You would think a professional writer would know how to write... maybe some proofreading and fact checking?

latest

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Sielski is a troll. He's the one that riled up Snider the year he fired Laviolette 3 games in, I think.

I blocked him because it's pretty clear what his goal is.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sielski is a troll. He's the one that riled up Snider the year he fired Laviolette 3 games in, I think.

I blocked him because it's pretty clear what his goal is.

He was the one who cried about "culture change" for the longest time and then acted extra special ******** when he got shut down by people saying he was an idiot.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Berube clowned him during his opening presser. About the only good thing he did during his tenure.

I literally just sat here for a solid few minutes, frowning at my phone, trying to think of something else that Berube did that was good.

I can't think of anything at all.

Although giving it to the media is something I can definitely appreciate. They don't get talked down to nearly enough. I wish GMs, coaches, and players would treat them with as much respect as the lazy beats treat their jobs.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Dan Boyle got him last year in his exit interview too. He framed it as himself but I think he was doing it for those guys still there that are still having to put up with Brooks' **** too.

I just fell in a black hole watching people destroy reporters and this came up. I was proud of Boyle, I kinda wish our guys would do it. Steve Mason could probably stand to do it to Panotch, but he seems too nice.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I just fell in a black hole watching people destroy reporters and this came up. I was proud of Boyle, I kinda wish our guys would do it. Steve Mason could probably stand to do it to Panotch, but he seems too nice.

Boyle knew he was retiring & was free from any repercussions from the Rangers or league. So he pretty much took advantage of it there & got some stuff off his chest. :laugh:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
They need to treat our beats the way John Tortorella treated Larry Brooks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARhVC8uEbQU

I mean, you're talking about a perfect time for a meteor strike - land right there, kill two birds with one stone. It's great seeing someone lambaste that slug Brooks, but then you remember that it's Torts, and you need a third party to kind of take over and give it to Torts.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I must say I rate Dave Isaac in terms of his coverage of the Flyers... generally pretty level headed, logical and a solid writer, plus it always seems that he actually 'tries' to provide good coverage.

I mean, yeh, every now and again he tries to make a point I really disagree with... and tries to 'out-think' the Flyers and opponents coaches on twitter once every few months... but overall I have very few complaints with him.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Someone is also paid to edit and proofread it.

Any decent journalist worth his salt should be checking and proofing his own work now. Especially for names. Most places don't have the sub editing resources that they used to, particularly for online stories. (At least that's how it is over here)

It's not fantastic in the UK, but the culture in the U.S just annoys me. It's pure laziness and being happy doing the bare minimum. Some of these guys have been working on the Flyers beat for decades. I never see any compelling writing - opinion pieces, interviews with Flyers past or present, anything. Some of these guys will have spoken to the same players year in, year out - how haven't you built up a decent enough relationship with a former player you've known for years where you can ring them up and ask for an interview? Every time I check on Players' Tribune I find an interesting hockey piece from an ex player. There must be countless other players waiting to have their stories told as well.

Really, I've started to respect Eklund more than these guys. He's a mediocre, below average writer. His sources are pretty terrible. But at least he puts some effort in to trying to be a journalist, trying to break stories and manages to bring in some decent bloggers. He puts in some effort, basically. More than most beat writers do.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Most reporters live in a bubble of self-importance, and feel incredibly threatened. It's understandable, to a certain extent, seeing as how their industry is crumbling all around them. What they fail to appreciate is:
1. they are not the only show in town any more. And by anymore, I mean for 20 years or more. They need to compete on something, and arrogance isn't selling
2. they really are not that talented and are ill-informed, even on a good day. Having read "business" articles in newspapers all around the world, US "reporters" as completely ignorant of their beat as these hockey writers. (even the WSJ has this problem, and don't get me started about NYT, Wash Post, etc.)
3. They think being "edgy" and sarcastic is a substitute for thoughtful reporting. The fact that they either kiss the ***** of their subjects (e.g., all of CSN with the Eagles) or insult them (e.g., Brooks) only further degrades their product.

Bottom line is they are part of a dying industry, and rather than embracing the opportunity to leverage greater information availability and customer intimacy, they insult their customers. Good riddance to bad garbage.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
I basically unfollowed everyone dealing with Flyers media, except Meltzer.

Appleyard probably thinks i'm a weirdo because I like and retweet a ton of his stuff now because he's my go-to-guy now.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I feel like they share a brain though sometimes. Like every writer seem to be perfectly fine writing "MacDonald was fine last year" and " MacDonald impressing in training camp"

I get that they watch and most don't, but don't piss in my glass and tell me it's lemonade. I can see.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I must say I rate Dave Isaac in terms of his coverage of the Flyers... generally pretty level headed, logical and a solid writer, plus it always seems that he actually 'tries' to provide good coverage.

I mean, yeh, every now and again he tries to make a point I really disagree with... and tries to 'out-think' the Flyers and opponents coaches on twitter once every few months... but overall I have very few complaints with him.

He blocked me when I made some very mild comments about his silly idea that Mason was going to get the hook for Stolarz after giving up two goals in the 1st period of a game in March. Based on that I think he's actually the biggest crybaby of all of them, or maybe guys like Timmy and Sam don't bother reading their replies where people talk genuine **** to them.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He blocked me when I made some very mild comments about his silly idea that Mason was going to get the hook for Stolarz after giving up two goals in the 1st period of a game in March. Based on that I think he's actually the biggest crybaby of all of them, or maybe guys like Timmy and Sam don't bother reading their replies where people talk genuine **** to them.

Haha, funnily enough that tweet was was I was talking about when I said he tried to outthink coaches!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad