Confirmed with Link: MDZ not given a QO - Now a UFA

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
poile looks real bad if we get nothing for him. maybe it's just me but with klein's contract, we could have gotten a first for him. if not, klein packaged with the 11th overall would have been a great package to land a top line guy. maybe throw in a B prospect if needed. all in hindsight but a lot were saying the trade was horrible to begin with.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
poile looks real bad if we get nothing for him. maybe it's just me but with klein's contract, we could have gotten a first for him. if not, klein packaged with the 11th overall would have been a great package to land a top line guy. maybe throw in a B prospect if needed. all in hindsight but a lot were saying the trade was horrible to begin with.
I don't know. Maybe a lesser top line guy, like a Parentau or Cammalleri-type, but I don't see that package getting a much better caliber of player than we'll have available during UFA. Happier to wind up with Fiala honestly.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
it may not be looking good but lets not get up in arms til it actually happens now.

Well with less than 12 hours left its more likley this will happen than Poile signing Stastny.

Its just a shame that a chance was taken that cost us a top pairing D guy for nothing at this juncture.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Klein isn't a top pairing defenseman though. He's a very good number 4, but before he was traded he was practically everyone's favorite whipping boy around here.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Klein isn't a top pairing defenseman though. He's a very good number 4, but before he was traded he was practically everyone's favorite whipping boy around here.

Yeah thats what I meant top 4 guy just came out wrong.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

he hadn't been the whipping boy since he pulled out his inner bobby Orr in the Detroit series

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
There is a group of fans for every team that must have a whipping boy. Fair or unfair, its odd some of the players that recieve a pass. MDZ sure was a whipping boy for the RAGs but when he came here very few were skeptical even now there are those that still support giving him a QO. When he has not shown to be any different here than he was in NY. I expect he will become a UFA and will sign somewhere for a mil to 1.5 and get another chance. the Panthers come to mind first.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I don't think that Briere is getting traded here. I think he's going to COL.

Eklund said:
so many french canadians….

don’t be mistaken...I LOVE French Canadians…just giving out clues.

And then just as I was typing the above,

Briere traded…more

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
While it appears that MDZ is gone and we gave up Klein for him, I'm not happy about the asset management but I am happy that it looks like the team is willing to move forward with Ekholm and Jones as the second pair next year. While light in experience, both have shown they can handle the NHL and to me, they'll only get better as a pairing over the next few years. Is it perfect, no but if Klein were still here, would he be playing with Ekholm or Jones and would that have made us a better, I don't think so. I'm very happy with our top 4 as it stands and in two years, I feel we'll have the best top 4 in the league, bar no one. That's just me though. Sometimes subtraction isn't always bad and while I think we could've had a better asset for Klein, I think the D is going to better because of it, poor asset management be damned.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
While it appears that MDZ is gone and we gave up Klein for him, I'm not happy about the asset management but I am happy that it looks like the team is willing to move forward with Ekholm and Jones as the second pair next year. While light in experience, both have shown they can handle the NHL and to me, they'll only get better as a pairing over the next few years. Is it perfect, no but if Klein were still here, would he be playing with Ekholm or Jones and would that have made us a better, I don't think so. I'm very happy with our top 4 as it stands and in two years, I feel we'll have the best top 4 in the league, bar no one. That's just me though. Sometimes subtraction isn't always bad and while I think we could've had a better asset for Klein, I think the D is going to better because of it, poor asset management be damned.
Yeah, this is where I'm at with it. Who knows what we could have gotten, but who knows what else we would have had to add as well? I like the direction we seem to be going in.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Im glad you guys are confident playing two guys in the top 4 with basicly 1 year experience each. Granted they will get better as bad as the assett mgmt was losing klein the team faces this a new coachs system that is 180 degrees from the prior coach and NO consensus that the forwards carried over can make up the difference in the number of goals that are going to be allowed.

In the long run the team will be better for it, don't get me wrong but Neal was not brought in here to lead a run to McDavid.... In reality Ekholm and Josi are my favorite players on the team but im not convinced this is a good thing for Ek.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
San Jose fan here:

Is a Kennedy+ for MDZ feasible?

It seems MDZ's value is pretty down and I would say the same with Kennedy, both just never really fit in to their respective teams.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
San Jose fan here:

Is a Kennedy+ for MDZ feasible?

It seems MDZ's value is pretty down and I would say the same with Kennedy, both just never really fit in to their respective teams.

I'll be frank, I think if you offered anything for MDZ at this point I would take it. He's probably a UFA tomorrow anyways.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 5m
NSH not qualifying Michael Del Zotto. Throw another log on the UFA fire.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
McKenzie confirms on twitter that MDZ is going to become a FA. Rev up that fire Poile bandwagon thats inevitably going to start.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
McKenzie confirms on twitter that MDZ is going to become a FA. Rev up that fire Poile bandwagon thats inevitably going to start.

Meh it is what it is. I didn't mind him trading Klein, its just bad that you end up getting nothing in return for a solid Defenseman on a good contract.

Its the one bad move Poile has made in a string of some really solid ones. Right now it stings, but its not the end of the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad