Post-Game Talk: MDSF, Game 5: Flyers at Capitals, Friday, April 22; Game 6 is 12:00 pm ET Sunday

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Take a breathe....and ask yourself if Giroux ever plays like this for this long if a stretch? The answer is no.

So now ask yourself why is he now. He is clearly hurt AND is getting all the Couts hard minutes.

The flyers top 4 guys and the Caps top 4 guys are all cancelling each other out at ES. The caps advantage is only on the PP.

In fact, goals are now 5-5 at ES....and one of Washington's goals is the fluke one.

Neuvirth.....stood on his head. We need more pressure next game. One more game for the hometown crowd!

No doubt that he is hurt. If he wasn't and could contribute, we could win this series. We need to get some points on our PP which is where G dominates.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
There's only 2 left...

Unless you think they're gonna lose game 6? :laugh:

Those odds are going to go from +900 to virtually even if flyers win game 6.

Not sure why that's funny. Losing game 6 is a big possibility, even if Couts and MDZ where healthy I'd still argue the Caps are the better team. Neuvy stole game 5, you can't count on your goalie to do it again. 5v5 play has been even in terms of goals but special teams outside of the last two games has not. Flyers need to find a way to score on the PP and if they don't they're done. And that's easier said then done when guys are this banged up. G at the very least has a clear hand injury but his skating seems off as well. Voracek's foot is still an issue and Schenn was limping off the ice yesterday and the amount of punishment he's taken and given that's to be expected. Same goes for the rest of the team. I think JJ said they have 100+ shot blocks now in just 5 games and the hit count has to be one of the highest in the playoffs. This team is run down, injured and missing key players, the only thing keeping them alive is heart and an inability on the caps end to put a series away.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Not sure why that's funny. Losing game 6 is a big possibility, even if Couts and MDZ where healthy I'd still argue the Caps are the better team. Neuvy stole game 5, you can't count on your goalie to do it again. 5v5 play has been even in terms of goals but special teams outside of the last two games has not. Flyers need to find a way to score on the PP and if they don't they're done. And that's easier said then done when guys are this banged up. G at the very least has a clear hand injury but his skating seems off as well. Voracek's foot is still an issue and Schenn was limping off the ice yesterday and the amount of punishment he's taken and given that's to be expected. Same goes for the rest of the team. I think JJ said they have 100+ shot blocks now in just 5 games and the hit count has to be one of the highest in the playoffs. This team is run down, injured and missing key players, the only thing keeping them alive is heart and an inability on the caps end to put a series away.
The Flyers just won't quit. Have to admire that. Just need Simmonds and Jake to break out for a couple games.

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
Just got to watch the game. Even though Neuvy stole the show, got to say Schenn is just impressing the hell out of me. He's leaving nothing on the ice each shift and he's right in their heads. Amazing.

Also, I know Ovy is a big hitter but I didn't think of the Caps as an especially physical team. Is this how they've been all season? Seems like they are trying too hard with that right now.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Just got to watch the game. Even though Neuvy stole the show, got to say Schenn is just impressing the hell out of me. He's leaving nothing on the ice each shift and he's right in their heads. Amazing.

Also, I know Ovy is a big hitter but I didn't think of the Caps as an especially physical team. Is this how they've been all season? Seems like they are trying too hard with that right now.
Flyers are rope-a-doping them.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA

Schenn has been absolutely fantastic ever since Luke left for LA, must've lit a spark under him for some reason. I agree 100% he is really bringing it all this series, I think it's pretty safe to say he is the Caps most hated player on our team :laugh:

On a related note I liked how Oshie stepped up to take on Schenn early in Game 5, he's not a fighter by any means but he still went for it to stick up for his team. Good for him. Also Schenn and Oshie sitting in the penalty box is a pretty good trade off, much better than Simmonds and Wilson at least.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
By odd coincidence I watched "Ali" last night. I'll take this as a good omen.

All our scorers have been laying low, waiting for the Caps to punch themselves out. Now's the time to strike!

And Ovechkin did kind of have that George Foreman look of confusion last night. Duh, what's happening to me? How come I'm not winning?

Joe Reekie

Mar 13, 2016
Northern Virginia
Caps fan here (I've been one for 26 years) to unconditionally guarantee the Caps lose the series. I won money betting we'd get shut out last night before the puck dropped. Some fan, I know--I just try to temper the pain with cash and it's become quite lucrative! I will win even more when the Caps top even their own new high in lows by losing 4 straight for the first time since the inception of the franchise.

This never could have happened if the Caps hadn't first made a little history by going up 3-0 in a series so I suppose congrats to them on that is in order. Nothing against the Flyers, but it could literally be any 8 seed playing the Caps right now. The Flyers have come back from down 3-0 before anyway, so old news for you all, but for us Caps fans it will a new and improved way to lose a series while maintaining that storied collapse look and feel we have grown accustomed to. I strongly believe only the Caps are capable of pulling this off and defy any of you to find another 3-0 comeback (there aren't many to look at) where the losing team was even close to the Caps' regular season record.

This is how they mend our hearts just enough each season to watch it year after year. 85 doesn't matter who the players are or the coach or GM or any other variable. It's the Washington Capitals. This year it took winning president's trophy by more points than we ever have before, Holtby tying the record for goaltender wins in a season and Ovi hitting 50 goals as his window closes to get people believing we had a chance to get last round 2 and maybe to the finals. Haha suckers!

Neuvirth is very good, and was good when he played for us, and not to take away from his stellar performance last night, but it will be end up being overshadowed by the Caps' overall failures. Same with game 3--that will be forgotten quickly After game 7 is over. If the Caps somehow score 7 tomorrow Philly will score 8 -- it's just how it works.

I promise you that game 7 will be either aone goal affair in OT or a blowout, but the Caps will lose the game. So relax, grab a beer and some popcorn and enjoy the second round because again, I unreservedly assure you all that this series is over and was over after the game 5 loss. "How could you possibly know that?" You might ask. "Another fair weather chicken little caps fan?" Not quite. Ok the chicken little part I'll give you but not fair weather. I'll always be a fan but that's my problem.

Just take a screen cap of this post so you can remember it when it happens -- Flyers win game 7. The prophecy seems to have been written and it shall come to pass. The Caps will never ever win a Stanley Cup before the world ends lol.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Caps fan here (I've been one for 26 years) to unconditionally guarantee the Caps lose the series. I won money betting we'd get shut out last night before the puck dropped. Some fan, I know--I just try to temper the pain with cash and it's become quite lucrative! I will win even more when the Caps top even their own new high in lows by losing 4 straight for the first time since the inception of the franchise.

This never could have happened if the Caps hadn't first made a little history by going up 3-0 in a series so I suppose congrats to them on that is in order. Nothing against the Flyers, but it could literally be any 8 seed playing the Caps right now. The Flyers have come back from down 3-0 before anyway, so old news for you all, but for us Caps fans it will a new and improved way to lose a series while maintaining that storied collapse look and feel we have grown accustomed to. I strongly believe only the Caps are capable of pulling this off and defy any of you to find another 3-0 comeback (there aren't many to look at) where the losing team was even close to the Caps' regular season record.

This is how they mend our hearts just enough each season to watch it year after year. 85 doesn't matter who the players are or the coach or GM or any other variable. It's the Washington Capitals. This year it took winning president's trophy by more points than we ever have before, Holtby tying the record for goaltender wins in a season and Ovi hitting 50 goals as his window closes to get people believing we had a chance to get last round 2 and maybe to the finals. Haha suckers!

Neuvirth is very good, and was good when he played for us, and not to take away from his stellar performance last night, but it will be end up being overshadowed by the Caps' overall failures. Same with game 3--that will be forgotten quickly After game 7 is over. If the Caps somehow score 7 tomorrow Philly will score 8 -- it's just how it works.

I promise you that game 7 will be either aone goal affair in OT or a blowout, but the Caps will lose the game. So relax, grab a beer and some popcorn and enjoy the second round because again, I unreservedly assure you all that this series is over and was over after the game 5 loss. "How could you possibly know that?" You might ask. "Another fair weather chicken little caps fan?" Not quite. Ok the chicken little part I'll give you but not fair weather. I'll always be a fan but that's my problem.

Just take a screen cap of this post so you can remember it when it happens -- Flyers win game 7. The prophecy seems to have been written and it shall come to pass. The Caps will never ever win a Stanley Cup before the world ends lol.

Game 7, anything can happen, but if the Caps keep going at even 75% of what they were doing last night, they'll win one of the two games unless Neuvirth simply just isn't a human.

Flyersfan139

May 15, 2010
Exton, PA

This post was great lol. I still think you guys are going to win but I got a kick out of this.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Game 7, anything can happen, but if the Caps keep going at even 75% of what they were doing last night, they'll win one of the two games unless Neuvirth simply just isn't a human.

Yeah, if the Caps do anything similar to last night again, they're going to score eventually.

But at some point the Flyers have to score some goals too, right?

Right?

Right?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Neuvirth had a very good game, but I wouldn't call it the most amazing goalie play I've seen (I'm old enough to remember Bernie v the Bruins).

He's been more efficient than spectacular the last two games, no mistakes, consistently gloving shots rather than allowing bad rebounds. But the defensemen deserve a lot of credit for not allowing screens, blocking shots and keeping the Caps outside.

It's really been a team effort, but more a continuation of their stretch run than anything new, Hakstol has turned this into a disciplined, well coached team - something Flyer fans aren't used to!

Gudas is being the same guy he was all season except for a two week stretch, it's just that on a bigger stage, more people are noticing, his regular season hit numbers and Corsi were top four quality, but he just isn't very "sexy," now that the stakes are higher, his home cooking seems more attractive than the floozy under the lamp post.

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
It sounds ridiculous to say but the Flyers didn't give up any breakaways and maybe one or two odd-man rushes the entire game. And Oshie asked Schenn if he wanted to dance to start, I thought it would've been the other way around. Regardless, a game six I didn't expect to see....will take it any day of the week. More Ovechkin running around thinking he's a 4th liner please....

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Neuvirth had a very good game, but I wouldn't call it the most amazing goalie play I've seen (I'm old enough to remember Bernie v the Bruins).

He's been more efficient than spectacular the last two games, no mistakes, consistently gloving shots rather than allowing bad rebounds. But the defensemen deserve a lot of credit for not allowing screens, blocking shots and keeping the Caps outside.

It's really been a team effort, but more a continuation of their stretch run than anything new, Hakstol has turned this into a disciplined, well coached team - something Flyer fans aren't used to!

Gudas is being the same guy he was all season except for a two week stretch, it's just that on a bigger stage, more people are noticing, his regular season hit numbers and Corsi were top four quality, but he just isn't very "sexy," now that the stakes are higher, his home cooking seems more attractive than the floozy under the lamp post.

It is difficult to compare and contrast efforts over the decades and how it relates to goaltending performances. Recent games are fresher in the mind. As we know, everything from equipment to players' skills are contributory causes. Some games from the distant past, recorded evidence is unavailable. Bernie Parent made 63 saves against the Blues in the 2OT win in a possible elimination game [the Flyers tied in the final 15 seconds of regulation] isn't going to get much attention due to when it happened; otherwise, if it occurred in the modern era, it would wow the masses with its brilliance.

This game tonight was extraordinary because it was so lopsided, something that was indicative in not only how many saves Neuvirth made in a shutout but also it was the fewest shots on goal by the Flyers in any playoff game (tied with the regular season low). Shutouts aren't always about the goalie. The team won and that is the key.

Ex-Flyer Doug Favell, now with the Colorado Rockies in 1978, turned in a remarkably fantastic effort in Game 1 against the Flyers. But again, that was in part due to the lopsided play. Shots were similar to tonight but that was representative of a bad team against one of the eras dominant franchises so perhaps not surprisingly the skill levels were on display.

A bounce here or there tonight, and we could take a different approach on Game 5 in this series. It was a game that has little comparisons more so because the play was dominant by the losing team. And that heightens the astonishment.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Tom Wilson on TSN, we need to get int Neuvys face , we are sick of talking about Philly..

All said like a cocky , arrogant little punk , you are a 10 minute a night potatoe loser. Can't wait for some little guy like Ghoul to just wreck him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This is the best thing i've ever read on here.

I wholeheartedly thank you!

:handclap:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Tom Wilson on TSN, we need to get int Neuvys face , we are sick of talking about Philly..

All said like a cocky , arrogant little punk , you are a 10 minute a night potatoe loser. Can't wait for some little guy like Ghoul to just wreck him.

Lol I can't wait until they lose in first two rounds AGAIN!

G and Jake are lost causes due to injury and weight gain in jakes case. Simmer however can always get hot. He and nuevy are all we need to win the next two games.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So let me get this straight..

We trade Lecavalier to the Kings where it's assumed he will get one last shot at a deep playoff run and maybe a Cup..

..and we have now outlasted the Kings in the playoffs.

I'm loving life right now.

Last edited:

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
So let me get this straight..

We trade Lecavalier to the Kings where it assumes he will get one last shot at a deep playoff run and maybe a Cup..

..and we have now outlasted the Kings in the playoffs.

I'm loving life right now.

I guess, but it's not like he would be on our iced roster. He would sitting beside Umberger every night, not the ideal playoff experience

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016

The words of Tom Wilson are that of a WWE wanna be. Thankfully the skilled players on the Caps have taken his role and are playing the body....they looked as gassed as philly last night by the end of it....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad