MDSF: (1) New York Rangers vs. (WC2) Pittsburgh Penguins (Series 1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I can't stand this. Where is this awful refereeing?? Pick me a penalty that you don't think should be a penalty. The refs have actually been pretty good. Every single one of pittsburghs penalties have been stupid undisciplined penalties. If they don't smarten up, nothing will change, and that is GOOD officiating. Around here, it seems to be 'common knowledge' that the penalties should be even at the end of the game. They shouldn't. Refs aren't around to even out the PP opportunities. They're there to call penalties when they see them, and they're doing a pretty good just in this series thus far.

There's been a ton of brutal calls.

How about in game 1 where Perron got hooked on a break with no call, and immediately afterwards Kunitz glanced Lundquist and got a penalty?

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
I can't stand this. Where is this awful refereeing?? Pick me a penalty that you don't think should be a penalty. The refs have actually been pretty good. Every single one of pittsburghs penalties have been stupid undisciplined penalties. If they don't smarten up, nothing will change, and that is GOOD officiating. Around here, it seems to be 'common knowledge' that the penalties should be even at the end of the game. They shouldn't. Refs aren't around to even out the PP opportunities. They're there to call penalties when they see them, and they're doing a pretty good just in this series thus far.

I think people are more pissed with the fact the the refs are missing blatant calls against the rags. Interference on Crosby and the Rags dman shooting the puck over the glass should have been easy calls

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think people are more pissed with the fact the the refs are missing blatant calls against the rags. Interference on Crosby and the Rags dman shooting the puck over the glass should have been easy calls

Protip: You'll be hard pressed to have a Rangers fan have a serious discussion with you if you call them the 'Rags'.

That's not a shorthand term for Rangers. It's an insult.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Protip: You'll be hard pressed to have a Rangers fan have a serious discussion with you if you call them the 'Rags'.

Why is Rags an insult? I honestly googled it, found a redit post regarding abbreviations but no one there said it was an insult. Is it just an HF thing?

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

Yeah but shooting the puck over the net that was missed was a makeup call for the garbage tripping call on Hagelin where the guy just lost an edge that put them on that PP. Pens still came out ahead on that cluster**** sequence because they got a goal on that same PP.

Don't act like Pens don't get missed calls too. Yandle was dropped to the ice with two brutal cross checks to the lower back, two different times of the game, right in front of refs with no calls and when he retaliated after the 2nd cross check they called him for the penalty. He deserved to get called for his, but so did Comeau who dropped him to the ice first.

It happens on both sides, but Pens have been way less disciplined in their play these first two games and that's why there is such a disparity of calls. No matter what, moving forward looks to be a great series and I'd love to see the refs play less of a role. As bad as Rangers PP is compared to the 5-on-5 play, I'd rather the teams just be able to play with minimal penalties.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010

Protip: If I called them the Rags, The Rangers, The Rangs, The best team in the NHL, I would still be hard pressed to have a serious discussion with the Rangers fans about this topic because most think they are the ones getting jobbed by the refs.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Protip: If I called them the Rags, The Rangers, The Rangs, The best team in the NHL, I would still be hard pressed to have a serious discussion with the Rangers fans about this topic because most think they are the ones getting jobbed by the refs.

Nobody is getting jobbed by the refs in this series. Last game was a **** show of them making some bad calls then trying to give makeup calls and then having to give makeup calls back and doing that over and over throughout the game. Both sides were hurt and helped by that.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Why is Rags an insult? I honestly googled it, found a redit post regarding abbreviations but no one there said it was an insult. Is it just an HF thing?

The 'insult' part of it has been lost since the Islanders have been irrelevant recently :p: :sarcasm: But basically, think about feminine hygiene, and you'll get the picture. It turned into an accepted abbreviation for Rangers which I've always found preposterous - I mean, even some Rangers fans use it, which I hate.

I know there are a good amount of posters on HF who hate it as well. I have a hard time taking anyone who uses it seriously since I automatically read it as an insult; but do understand that the insult part of it has been lost over time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/rangers/comments/2ytnqf/psa_dont_call_your_team_the_rags/

Okay.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
I think this series has shown a desperate need for coaches challenges. Do it just like the NFL. Have the coach throw a flag on the ice. If the call is reversed the coach can use his challenge again. If the call stands the team who is challenging is charged a timeout.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
The 'insult' part of it has been lost since the Islanders have been irrelevant recently :p: :sarcasm: But basically, think about feminine hygiene, and you'll get the picture. It turned into an accepted abbreviation for Rangers which I've always found preposterous - I mean, even some Rangers fans use it, which I hate.

I know there are a good amount of posters on HF who hate it as well. I have a hard time taking anyone who uses it seriously since I automatically read it as an insult; but do understand that the insult part of it has been lost over time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/rangers/comments/2ytnqf/psa_dont_call_your_team_the_rags/

Okay.

I mean, is this really that big of a deal to you? It's just a nickname. Do I get bent out of shape when opposing fans call the Devils, the "Debbies"?

"OMG, people are insinuating the Devils are women and have feminine qualities. Women<Men!!!11111!!!"

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey

It's 100% an insult. The Rangers are the only team that HF permits other users to reference in a negative way, simply because of their plausible deniability that other fans would genuinely believe it's an abbreviation and not a derogatory term. The fact that exactly 0 Rangers fans call the team the "Rags" should say enough about the term.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I mean, is this really that big of a deal to you? It's just a nickname. Do I get bent out of shape when opposing fans call the Devils, the "Debbies"?

"OMG, people are insinuating the Devils are women and have feminine qualities. Women<Men!!!11111!!!"

Yes, because it's not a nickname, it's an insult.

I've seen plenty of Devils fans get 'bent out of shape' when being called the Debbies, or the Rock being called the Pebble, as well as Islanders fans get 'bent out of shape' when they're called the Fishsticks. I'm sure I've been guilty of doing that in the past. Perhaps I should treat others how they I would like to be treated. I'll do better in the future.

I don't think either of those 'nicknames' are on par with the derogatory nature behind 'Rags'. I'm probably also quite biased.

My main issue is that it is used popularly like Pens or Isles etc..., when it is NOT an abbreviation. People calling the Devils the Debbies or the Islanders the Fishsticks know what they're doing. People calling the Rangers the 'Rags' have no idea that it's an insult.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Yes, because it's not a nickname, it's an insult.

I've seen plenty of Devils fans get 'bent out of shape' when being called the Debbies, or the Rock being called the Pebble, as well as Islanders fans get 'bent out of shape' when they're called the Fishsticks. I'm sure I've been guilty of doing that in the past. Perhaps I should treat others how they I would like to be treated. I'll do better in the future.

I don't think either of those 'nicknames' are on par with the derogatory nature behind 'Rags'. I'm probably also quite biased.

Huh, I wasn't aware of this. Maybe I run in insensitive circles :laugh:

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
I'm sure that's not true. Do you know every Rangers fan personally? :laugh:

I've been on HF since 2009 on the Rangers form practically every day and I have never, ever seen one Rangers fan address the team as the "Rags." If you go to rival forms though you'll see they regularly address us as that term, which further verifies it as a derogatory term.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
I've been on HF since 2009 on the Rangers form practically every day and I have never, ever seen one Rangers fan address the team as the "Rags." If you go to rival forms though you'll see they regularly address us as that term, which further verifies its validity as a derogatory term.

Ok, but that has nothing to do with what you stated though. :laugh:

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
I've been on HF since 2009 on the Rangers form practically every day and I have never, ever seen one Rangers fan address the team as the "Rags." If you go to rival forms though you'll see they regularly address us as that term, which further verifies it as a derogatory term.

Apologies in advance, but this pretty much conclusively disproves your claim: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=394617

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
The 'insult' part of it has been lost since the Islanders have been irrelevant recently :p: :sarcasm: But basically, think about feminine hygiene, and you'll get the picture. It turned into an accepted abbreviation for Rangers which I've always found preposterous - I mean, even some Rangers fans use it, which I hate

Yeah, I don't see the connection. Not everyone's mind goes looking for associations to slang words, and then takes them for insults. A little like victimizing yourselves. I mean, I have an Uncle Dick and he doesn't think his name is preposterous.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The funniest thing about Glass is how the media defends him and takes pot shots at the fans who (rightfully) think he's an awful, awful hockey player.

The Pens Media I get. If there's one organization in the League that does its best to create positive messaging through their media "partners," it's the Penguins.

How Brooks and some of the others can defend this guy and not see him for what he is after decades of covering hockey are beyond me.

I'm not kidding when I say this: The Rangers are a huge rivalry, and I actually pity the fans for having to put up with that guy on their roster. I swear if I could snap my fingers and take him off your roster, I would.

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
The funniest thing about Glass is how the media defends him and takes pot shots at the fans who (rightfully) think he's an awful, awful hockey player.

The Pens Media I get. If there's one organization in the League that does its best to create positive messaging through their media "partners," it's the Penguins.

How Brooks and some of the others can defend this guy and not see him for what he is after decades of covering hockey are beyond me.

I'm not kidding when I say this: The Rangers are a huge rivalry, and I actually pity the fans for having to put up with that guy on their roster. I swear if I could snap my fingers and take him off your roster, I would.

What upsets me most is that we have James Sheppard sitting for Glass. Sheppard can do everything Glass does and he'll do it better.

Shep played a key 3rd line role for the Sharks in their recent playoff appearances.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
What upsets me most is that we have James Sheppard sitting for Glass. Sheppard can do everything Glass does and he'll do it better.

Shep played a key 3rd line role for the Sharks in their recent playoff appearances.

I wish I could talk to Sheppard and apologize to him on behalf of Rangers fans.

"Shep, I know how you feel. We don't get it either."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad