904904d72ee0bf117290094d401e40f5.png

812102fc9e10594118905c140acf6782.png

cf27d818fb9baa11b2b12e9563068902.png

dce0bb9e04eafa20e581af44876ea759.png

Preview:

PENGUINS at RANGERS

(Best-of-7 series tied 1-1)

TV: NBCSN, CBC, RDS

Big story: The New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins will face each other for the second consecutive night and third time in four days. After splitting the first two games of their Eastern Conference Second Round series, the Rangers will attempt to take advantage of the Madison Square Garden crowd to go up 2-1; the Penguins will try to regain home-ice advantage with a win.

Team Scope:

Penguins: Pittsburgh is coming off of its most complete effort of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Penguins outshot New York 35-22, and forward Sidney Crosby, who led Pittsburgh with six shots, seemed to regain his form despite failing to score a goal for the 13th consecutive playoff game.
Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury has arguably been Pittsburgh's best player through eight games, and that was the case in Game 2. He earned his seventh postseason shutout with 22 saves Sunday and will attempt to replicate his performance Monday.

"It's the same for both teams. [We'll] just enjoy tonight," Fleury said after Game 2. "We got the win, but we'll be back at it [Monday] morning. [Monday] night will be a big game."

Rangers: New York's special-teams struggles are a growing concern. They were outplayed in each facet in a 3-0 loss in Game 2, when their power-play drought reached 29 chances and their penalty-killing unit surrendered a late goal to Penguins forward Jussi Jokinen that put the game out of reach.

Coach Alain Vigneault added defenseman Anton Stralman to the second power-play unit Sunday and said he will consider further adjustments for Game 3.

"The power play had some looks. It could've given us momentum," Vigneault said. "We didn't finish, and the power play ultimately is my responsibility. I have to find the right trigger points here to make it work, and I'll spend the night trying to figure it out."

Goalie Henrik Lundqvist continues to be reliable. After allowing two goals in Game 1, his 32-save performance kept New York within striking distance Sunday.

Who's hot: Penguins defenseman Kris Letang had a goal and two assists in Game 2, when he played 25:35, his most ice time since December. … Rangers forward Brad Richards leads New York with seven points in the 2014 playoffs and is tied for the team lead with three goals. His third goal gave the Rangers a 2-0 lead in the first period of Game 1.

Injury report: Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik (undisclosed) skated on his own for about an hour before the Penguins' morning skate Sunday. He did not participate in the skate a day after practicing for the first time since sustaining his injury. … New York forward Chris Kreider (broken hand), who has not played since March 24, continued to skate with a non-contact jersey during the Rangers' morning skate Sunday.

Previous game highlights:

Goal Horn:

Let's go Pens!!

Last edited:

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I wish the Pens could just duplicate the performance they put on last night. I know we'll probably see the polar opposite but a man can hope. Let's Go Pens!

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I keep hoping that the Pens can start owning Lundqvist again (like they do in the regular season), but he has been the best players in the series so far.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Whenever the pens make you feel good about them they usually come out flat or end up blowing a lead or do something that drives the fans crazy next game, hopefully this time will be different and they will put together back to back good games.

Does anybody know MAF and Hank career stats playing the 2nd of back to back games? just from recent memory i don't think MAF has played good in the 2nd of back to back games.

Lim Ran

Apr 11, 2009
Toronto
Team's greatest weakness was the bottom 6. It looks good, it looks sorted out.

Played 60 minutes last night. Keep it up. You're contenders when you play 60 minutes.

... of course, if anyone thinks they can be contenders without playing 60 minutes... well, that's been the problem, I guess.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Whenever the pens make you feel good about them they usually come out flat or end up blowing a lead or do something that drives the fans crazy, hopefully this time will be different and they will put together back to back good games.

Does anybody know MAF and Hank career stats playing the 2nd of back to back games? just from recent memory i don't think MAF has played good in the 2nd of back to back games.

Alot of our issues came from our forwards inability to keep the puck in their end. If DB keeps the lines the same, we no longer have that problem. And the players are feeding off of it. Playing hungry and backchecking well.

MAF has actually been pretty good from what I remember in back to back games. But in the playoffs, it hasn't happened with us since 09 I believe. And this situation is different. Rags looked tired as hell last night. We just need to jump on them and break Hank early.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Alot of our issues came from our forwards inability to keep the puck in their end. If DB keeps the lines the same, we no longer have that problem. And the players are feeding off of it. Playing hungry and backchecking well.

MAF has actually been pretty good from what I remember in back to back games. But in the playoffs, it hasn't happened with us since 09 I believe. And this situation is different. Rags looked tired as hell last night. We just need to jump on them and break Hank early.

The one thing that should favor the pens is that Hank should be the more tired goalie tonight, he had much more work then MAF did last night.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The one thing that should favor the pens is that Hank should be the more tired goalie tonight, he had much more work then MAF did last night.

Which is why DB should be rolling Kunitz-Sid-Geno down their throats to start the 1st. Sid scores, and this team could really get rolling.

Hydro

Apr 29, 2013
Windsor
Hope Sid can start off the game just like yesterday. He came out flying, and combine that with the 3 PK's the team was very energized and rolled the rest of the way

Fordy

May 28, 2008
if we see the same team we saw last night get rolling again tonight, maybe with some better TOI decisions, this starts becoming a team you can root for

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Whenever the pens make you feel good about them they usually come out flat or end up blowing a lead or do something that drives the fans crazy next game, hopefully this time will be different and they will put together back to back good games.

That's because for some illogical reason, DB always seems to get away from what works. It's like he has a vision of how things need to be and he wants to keep trying his ideas until they finally work. That is why many of us are worried they will revert back.

Hockey is still a simple game at it's roots. If something is working, keep doing it until your opponent forces you to change things up.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That's because for some illogical reason, DB always seems to get away from what works. It's like he has a vision of how things need to be and he wants to keep trying his ideas until they finally work. That is why many of us are worried they will revert back.

Hockey is still a simple game at it's roots. If something is working, keep doing it until your opponent forces you to change things up.

I don't know if he's trying to get to what he has decided has to work or if his genius self is trying to change things before anyone can force him to. It's probably both but it's ridiculous.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Biggest concern tonight is Rangers come out on fire with loud crowd, Pens take a dumb penalty, and Rangers finally score a PP goal. They're due and that would be just about the worst possible time.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
People on twitter saying that the game time is 7 tonight and has been moved forward from 7:30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad